Notices

Struggling....

Old 11-08-2006, 07:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
HopeInFaith

Struggling....

It's funny how life works. I've used soberrecovery to cope with my husband's drug addiction...and now I'm turning to it because of me. I know enough about addiction to know that noone can tell me if I have a problem...and deep down I think I probably know I do...but I just can't bring myself to admit it....I stopped drinking for about a year because things were just getting out of hand. Meaning...I am not the type to drink every day...or every week...I'll drink every few weeks or so...and sometimes it works for me. I'm able to have a couple glasses of wine and be OK...but then there are the nights where I drink too much and you never know what is going to happen. I started drinking again back in May...and sometimes I'm OK...but sometimes I'm not. Most of the time I'm not. And here's the thing...I'm lying to my husband about my drinking...I'm acting in ways that I know I shouldn't...making bad decisions....but the thing is...I don't drink all the time...and I feel like I could stop if I wanted to..but I don't want to...so do I have a problem or am I just fooling myself.....My husband does not want to have a wife that has a problem...he's like, just be careful when you drink...and don't drink when you're out of town...and I try not to...but I get done with work and just want to unwind...and oh, what's 1 glass going to hurt...and then 5 glasses later I'm wondering how I ended up in this spot again....so hopeless and sad right now.....
Old 11-08-2006, 07:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

If your drinking is causing you problems..then it is a problem.

I suggest you read this link for information..

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

I too did not drink daily...and then I did.
I was social drinking for years..then I was not.
I kept my job..until I got fired.

There are stages of alcoholism.
Alcoholism is progressive.

I am glad to see you are here and seeking answers

blessings
Old 11-08-2006, 08:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
HopeInFaith

Blackouts can be so frightening that they make the alcoholic question his sanity. For the first time he may realize that he is in deep trouble with alcohol. Despite his increasing problems, however, the middle-stage alcoholic rarely considers giving up drinking...

wow...i have black out moments usually every time i slip and drink too much...i just thought that's what happens when you drink too much...and the hangovers...they are unbearable....but what is most unbearable is the shame i feel....like i'm such a horrible person and why can't i get it under control and why is it so hard for me to say it's a problem in my life????...it just makes me cry.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

None of us planned on becoming alcoholics.

By facing reality we can move forward into recovery.

Old 11-08-2006, 01:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
HopeInFaith

well i just got off the phone with one of my girlfriends who is in the program. and i said it out loud. i don't want to drink anymore. i have a problem. and i can't do it by myself. i'm going to go to a meeting when i get home.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good luck, Hope, our thoughts are with you. AA is not my thing, but I know from being here, it has been a savior to many, many of us.

Steve