Notices

Another AA meeting question

Old 03-27-2019, 12:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Another AA meeting question

Hey everyone! Hope you're all having a great week.

I posted a while back about the differences in types of AA meetings. I'm trying my best to work out a weekly schedule so that I know where I'll be once I leave work in the evening (that's when I would start my drinking everyday).

Question for you all: Is a "Big Book Study" the same thing as a "Step Study"?

Furthermore, for someone with 13 days of sobriety, does anyone have any suggestions on which types of meetings to attend (assume that I have several options at the same time)? Thus far I've only been to discussion meetings, not sure if I should stick with those for awhile before I try attending other types.

Any and all suggestions are welcomed and much appreciated.

Guy
Old 03-27-2019, 01:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's great that you're going to meetings!

The basic book is The Big Book, which outlines the 12 step program and tells stories of people who've recovered through AA. Big Book Study is usually centered around reading passages from the BB and talking about them.

Step Study usually uses a book called Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions. It was written after the Big Book and goes into more detail about the steps and the traditions of AA. Same thing--read a bit and discuss.

I think as a newcomer, it's best to try different meetings. You'll see what you respond to best and what's most helpful for you. And you can see what the different "personalities" of the meetings are like.

Hope you have a great experience!
Old 03-27-2019, 01:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

My suggestion at 13 days is just go to a lot of meetings. Makes no difference what kind just go.
Old 03-27-2019, 02:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Is a "Big Book Study" the same thing as a "Step Study"?
in a way thay are the same. step studies revolve around a certain step- steps that are in the big book.
big book studies typically start at the beginning of the BB,read a bit, then discuss. they dont go through the whole BB in one meeting- typically just a chunk at a time.

good on ya for lining up AND goin to meetings!
Old 03-27-2019, 08:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

When I attended AA the first 2 1/2 years of sobriety, the Big Book meeting was one I wouldn't miss. Give it a try!

Another good meeting in early sobriety would be one which reads the "Living Sober" book. Really practical solutions/information in that tiny book. We have Living Sober meetings in my area, but I've heard they can be hard to find in bigger cities.
Old 03-27-2019, 09:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I used to attend a Big Book study meeting and the format was great.

We'd go around the room with everyone taking turns reading.

But whenever someone wanted clarification on a passage or vocabulary word the reading would stop and the question answered.
Old 03-28-2019, 02:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
Is a "Big Book Study" the same thing as a "Step Study"?
in a way thay are the same. step studies revolve around a certain step- steps that are in the big book.
big book studies typically start at the beginning of the BB,read a bit, then discuss. they dont go through the whole BB in one meeting- typically just a chunk at a time.

good on ya for lining up AND goin to meetings!
What tomsteve said!

And, around here at one of the big clubhouses, the Step meetings start at one and go to 12, week by week. So you might go to one that's on, say, four - and you are just getting started. Personally, I think it's useful to simply absorb info about every step, from the beginning BUT not to jump ahead. That is easily confusing and possibly disheartening...the process starts with Step One for a reason.

For the first 90 days, where I did about 82 of the 90/90 suggestion I think, I mostly went to OD so I could listen to others and get the hang of things. To me, step one had finally become more than clear, and 2 & 3 were "simple" because I had always believed in God, and had just gone away from Him (not v. versa) while in my drinking years. I started officially doing the steps with my first sponsor.

That part - so important. Do you have a sponsor yet?

Gently suggesting here - like said above, going to meetings is the most important part and while I know you are meticulous about this, overthinking it is one of the frequent pitfalls of many of us alcoholics. Especially at first, I had to go to whatever mtg fit my schedule - as that changed and as I began to seek the nuances of the program from a broader variety of folks, I followed that for some meeting choices.

Glad you are starting and glad you are here.
Old 03-28-2019, 02:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My suggestion is buy a the book alcoholic anonymous read the first 103 pages Dr Bobs Nightmare and Spiritual Experience. Then after that you will have a better idea what type of meeting that you want to attend. Congrats on 13 days sober
Old 03-28-2019, 03:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
My suggestion at 13 days is just go to a lot of meetings. Makes no difference what kind just go.
Hi 5329,
MIR is right. The best answer is to just go to a bunch of meetings and figure out which ones work for you. But because I can't help myself here are some additional thoughts for your consideration.

First lets face it you are an odd duck. Showing up on SR and announcing your sobriety date months before you stop drinking. That doesn't happen very often. Thus, given your style I am not surprised you ask about which type of meeting is best.

Well I have news for you. Most of us drunks don't have the focus or attention to detail that you have. As a group we tend to choose our meetings based on time and location. It is all about what works for our schedule. So for a given location don't expect a different set of people to show up for an OD meeting vs a step meeting. And the same old drunk will have pretty much the same share no matter what the meeting. Nothing wrong with this but if you want to meet different folks with different stories you need to change your geographic location.

However, I have found that even within a geographic location meetings can have a very different tone/style. It really depends on who is running the meetings and who attends them. And it has absolutely nothing to do with what type of meeting it is. It's completely random.

So in the end the best thing for you to do is just go to as many different meetings as you can early on and figure out which ones you like. As an old timer told me a few years ago: If you have not been to an AA meeting that you did not like you have not been to enough meetings.

I hope this helps. YMMV.
Old 03-28-2019, 06:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The best way to find out what specific meetings are about is to attend them. Then you can decide if you like certain kinds of meetings better than others. I found this to be true in my case, but I think it would be a mistake to decide preferences without direct experience.
Old 03-28-2019, 07:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Great job on 13, 14 days today!

I agree with the others, doesn’t matter the meeting you attend but I hope you go!

In early recovery I attended a meeting called Happy Hour, it started at 5pm and that’s when I used to start drinking after work. I did everything I had to do to break the cycle, and lived at my local AA group.. noon meetings, happy hour at 5, 6, 8, and sometimes 10:30.. I was just trying to make it to midnight sober.. get up and do it all over again!

Wishing you the best!! I hope you keep hanging out here too, we have a great group of folks here, it’s really been a big part of my recovery.
Old 03-28-2019, 08:33 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Grateful

Dave your post sent me down memory lane!

The very first meeting I went to the first time I ever got sober in 1990 was called "Happy Hour". It started at 5:30pm and was held in the basement of the "Longbranch Saloon" in downtown Raleigh (the owner of the nightclub was in the program). That group then bought a building in a commercial complex and started a clubhouse that offered multiple meetings daily. It also happened to be about a mile from where I worked and I spent many hours there daily (meetings or not) during my early sobriety.

Someone also mentioned there might be meetings you like and meetings you don't like. At this same clubhouse (called the Camel Club, which still exists to this day) they had a meeting called the Weekenders meeting on Saturday and Sunday afternoons which was typically full of "crusty old-timers" who never sugarcoated anything. I remember seeing a lot of people get up and walk out of that meeting, but for some reason it helped me to listen to these experienced AA's dish out the tough love they did.

I haven't been back there in many years (the suburb town I live in has very strong AA recovery itself) but I just googled Camel Club and they still are still holding the M-F Happy Hour meeting at 5:30pm and the Weekenders meeting Saturday and Sunday at 5pm nearly 30 years after I first found them. Here's a link to their website: https://www.camelclubraleigh.org/meetings/
Old 03-28-2019, 08:48 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Big Book study is explained above. You can also have Big Book step study which focusses on the directions for taking the steps, which are only found in the Big book.

Then there is 12&12 step study which is lots of useful detail to discuss, and in my view, provides useful insights for a sponsor in the different ways that a particular step might be approached from a newcomer's point of view. The 12 & 12 doesn't give any direction on taking the steps and states that the Big Book remains AA's basic text.

Discussion and speaker meetings are great for many reasons, not least of which is to hear some real honesty. There is nothing like some honest sharing to break down the barriers.
Old 03-29-2019, 03:03 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Guy - just curious what your planning looks like? I usually write all my mtgs down in my planner on the page view, at the beginning of the wk. Example, I have 2 standing meetings for the restaurant industry group I run. Then I add in what I will do other days. I have a mental list of meetings so I can make a change if I end up having a time conflict - that came well into recovery and after my every day at noon thing had been done for awhile.
Old 03-30-2019, 12:32 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

my favorite meeting is a Big Book Step Study
we go thru the steps in a 15 week roration and then start over again
thats all we do except for our anniverisry meeting each August which is a speaker meeting.
Old 03-31-2019, 03:42 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Over the years I've been to Big Book study meetings that were really more like step studies, step study meetings that studied the Big Book, Newcomer meetings that had no newcomers, you name it. I've found groups name and distinguish themselves in one way but how the actual meeting is can tend to change over time. I've been to groups I heard great things about but found the atmosphere to be exactly what I try to avoid......and I've been to groups other ppl can't stand but I find it a wonderful place. Without going to actually experience the group/environments (usually a couple times at least, to get a good sense of what's going on), there's no way to know in advance if a particular meeting is going to be one I like or dislike and one that I feel a connection with or not.

Bottom line is this - if the alcoholic truly suffers from "lack of power" (hence the "-- our lives had become unmanageable" in the first step) then our path to recovery is a search for power outside of ourselves. Meetings can be a great way to learn how others walked their own path and hopefully how they recovered. Early on in recovery, I was going to meetings to learn what others were doing so I could incorporate those things that worked into my life. To that end, I wouldn't rule out any sort of meeting - no matter how funny the name sounded or what "type" of meeting it claimed to be.

If someone could guarantee that there was an envelope with a million dollars in it waiting at a meeting for you, how many meetings would you NOT go to, if even just to check it out? Same deal with recovery - Somewhere there's a group of people who you'll completely identify with, like their company, and want to walk the same path to a better life that they are. One of our jobs when we're new in recovery is to find that group......
Old 04-01-2019, 10:04 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Guy - just curious what your planning looks like? I usually write all my mtgs down in my planner on the page view, at the beginning of the wk. Example, I have 2 standing meetings for the restaurant industry group I run. Then I add in what I will do other days. I have a mental list of meetings so I can make a change if I end up having a time conflict - that came well into recovery and after my every day at noon thing had been done for awhile.
August,

I'd say it's something fairly similar to what you describe above. I have a couple of days a week where I have locked in where I'll be at a given time after work. On Monday evening, it will be meeting with my therapist. For Tuesdays, I have found a meeting that meets that day that I enjoy so I will be making that my plan for Tuesdays. I'm still checking out different meetings at different locations to get as full of a view as possible as to what is out there. Last night, after my wife and I went to a yoga class, for instance, we were driving home and decided to try an early evening meeting at a club near my house that I've long since trying to make it to. That particular meeting was so-so, but it was kinda cool to have my wife attend one with me so that she knows a tad bit about what I'm talking about when I come home from a meeting and try to explain how it went to her.

Anyway, for days that I don't already have blocked off, I keep a list of a few options (and locations) for that evening so that (depending on when I'm able to make it out of the office) I will have a place to go without too much thought about it. I'm sure I'll need to tweak a thing here or there, but thus far I feel like it's a good system for me.
Old 04-01-2019, 10:05 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DayTrader View Post
Over the years I've been to Big Book study meetings that were really more like step studies, step study meetings that studied the Big Book, Newcomer meetings that had no newcomers, you name it. I've found groups name and distinguish themselves in one way but how the actual meeting is can tend to change over time. I've been to groups I heard great things about but found the atmosphere to be exactly what I try to avoid......and I've been to groups other ppl can't stand but I find it a wonderful place. Without going to actually experience the group/environments (usually a couple times at least, to get a good sense of what's going on), there's no way to know in advance if a particular meeting is going to be one I like or dislike and one that I feel a connection with or not.

Bottom line is this - if the alcoholic truly suffers from "lack of power" (hence the "-- our lives had become unmanageable" in the first step) then our path to recovery is a search for power outside of ourselves. Meetings can be a great way to learn how others walked their own path and hopefully how they recovered. Early on in recovery, I was going to meetings to learn what others were doing so I could incorporate those things that worked into my life. To that end, I wouldn't rule out any sort of meeting - no matter how funny the name sounded or what "type" of meeting it claimed to be.
I'm finding all of what you describe above to be very true for me as well. You never know unless you try as they say. Thanks for weighing in!
Old 04-01-2019, 10:21 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dave42001 View Post
Great job on 13, 14 days today!

I agree with the others, doesn’t matter the meeting you attend but I hope you go!

In early recovery I attended a meeting called Happy Hour, it started at 5pm and that’s when I used to start drinking after work. I did everything I had to do to break the cycle, and lived at my local AA group.. noon meetings, happy hour at 5, 6, 8, and sometimes 10:30.. I was just trying to make it to midnight sober.. get up and do it all over again!

Wishing you the best!! I hope you keep hanging out here too, we have a great group of folks here, it’s really been a big part of my recovery.
Thanks Dave! Today makes day 18.

I have recently begun attending a group that meets everyday of the week at 5:30 p.m. It's also called Happy Hour. I'm really enjoying it and have begun to meet some of the guys and chat a bit after meetings, so that's been huge for me. It's tough for me to leave work early enough to make it there by 5:30 every weekday, but I am trying to make it there as much as I can.

Thanks again for the support!
Old 04-01-2019, 02:49 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Love hearing all this Guy! And it's a great way to get to know people when you go to a meeting the same time every day, or even just a few days a week. I know my folks at the 730am Tu and Fri are ones I might see in other meetings too but I really enjoy knowing I will see those faces on those mornings.

And having your wife learn and even go to a meeting is great. My mom is a recovering alcoholic and over the years, my dad spent a lot of time in meetings with her, as well as both of them going to Al Anon for me in the most recent decade or so, because alcoholism is a family disease.

Glad you are here- keep going to 19, 20, .... you can do it!