Notices

Aa speaker tapes

Old 09-12-2018, 02:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sick n tired

Aa speaker tapes

I have been spending my evenings listening to speaker tapes..any suggestions who to listen to
Old 09-12-2018, 05:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

https://youtu.be/h-oIjg6UnkA

https://youtu.be/hoxofrHTIwE

https://youtu.be/MJXNmvDvXn4
Old 09-12-2018, 06:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

There is a guy called Bob D who does tremendously interesting talks on the 12 steps. The only problem is he goes incredibly deep and it takes a bit of getting into.

The other speaker I am a fan of is Chris R, who does some dynamic talks on the program relating to his experience of having been mislead by well intentioned people in AA and almost dying as a result. He is a passionate speaker, but his message is simple and easily understood. I first heard him when I was 20 something years sober, and he completely changed my outlook.

Both these speakers can be found on Odomtology, and XA speakers.

There are lots of other speakers who are wonderful to listen to bu, in a sense, they are like the stories in the back half of the book. They share what they used to be like, what happened, and what they are like now, but often they to specifically go into how YOU can recover. They can inspire you, without giving you direction in terms of the action you can take.

Also Katie and Charlie P are well worth a listen.
Old 09-12-2018, 07:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I like Chris R. too and here's a link to where he talks about the problems in AA today:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hiqf86SxE5Y

He talks about how one has no right to spew their problems at his AA. I agree AA is not group therapy and I too am not interested in hearing about someone crappy day.

The thing is though... it's not his AA meeting but our AA. So, I like meetings which fall somewhere in the middle. You don't have to pretend to be happy joyous and free all the time esp. when you're going through a rough patch. But AA and a possible solution back into the share. Don't just bitch and moan.

The area I take exception is where Chris goes on about statistics in AA. That somehow AA was better back in the day than it is today. Meaning a higher percentage of people got sober 60 years ago than they do today.

Imo, what we saw 60 years ago were people like myself who had an extensive track record with alcohol related issues as did everyone in the room.

Today AA is very well known in the U.S. You've got people court order to meetings, people in their early 20's and people who just want to check out the meetings but aren't sure if they want to stop drinking.

In other words there are a lot more people coming into the rooms of AA and at various stages of alcoholism than there were 60 years ago.

And that is a good thing.
Old 09-13-2018, 05:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Great Resource
https://www.recoveryaudio.org/

Earl H
Anthony H
Sandy B
TomSteve
Old 09-13-2018, 07:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by eve123 View Post
I have been spending my evenings listening to speaker tapes..any suggestions who to listen to
This is a very wise move.

Good thinking.
Old 09-13-2018, 08:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

In all actuality, I enjoy reading the stories in the back of the book as well as anything from the first 164 pages. Page 449 or 417 in the later edition played as large a part in my recovery as anything.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ken33xx View Post
I like Chris R. too and here's a link to where he talks about the problems in AA today:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hiqf86SxE5Y

He talks about how one has no right to spew their problems at his AA. I agree AA is not group therapy and I too am not interested in hearing about someone crappy day.

The thing is though... it's not his AA meeting but our AA. So, I like meetings which fall somewhere in the middle. You don't have to pretend to be happy joyous and free all the time esp. when you're going through a rough patch. But AA and a possible solution back into the share. Don't just bitch and moan.

The area I take exception is where Chris goes on about statistics in AA. That somehow AA was better back in the day than it is today. Meaning a higher percentage of people got sober 60 years ago than they do today.

Imo, what we saw 60 years ago were people like myself who had an extensive track record with alcohol related issues as did everyone in the room.

Today AA is very well known in the U.S. You've got people court order to meetings, people in their early 20's and people who just want to check out the meetings but aren't sure if they want to stop drinking.

In other words there are a lot more people coming into the rooms of AA and at various stages of alcoholism than there were 60 years ago.

And that is a good thing.
People who are AA newcomers haven't yet learned that sharing the particular facts of each of their various problems and dramas aren't necessary, but I indulge them with my attention and thoughts when they do.

It took me a while to understand that I would do better, for example, to talk about anger than to give a blow-by-blow report of whatever argument(s) or incident that has disturbed me (e.g. the landlord, the banker, the boss, the spouse, the ex-, etc.).
Old 09-13-2018, 09:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sick n tired

Thabks for replies. Yes get a lot out of bob d, Earl, sandy and Chris r. Also Astrid h. I sometimes look more for women’s tapes as I find that helps. It all helps me as I can’t get to meetings as often as I would like or need to. Has anybody listened to the clergy tapes? Any suggestions thabks
Old 09-13-2018, 10:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Have you listened to Father Martin?
https://youtu.be/_8j-f5b6j4k
Old 09-13-2018, 02:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fly N Buy View Post
Great Resource
https://www.recoveryaudio.org/

Earl H
Anthony H
Sandy B
TomSteve
Hey our buddy TomSteve is on recoveryaudio?? Is he the only Tom there?
Old 09-14-2018, 03:09 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It's pretty amazing and awesome that in todays
time you, we, us can listen to folks stories right
here on our computers or your phones.

Back when I got sober and entered recovery
August 11, 1990 and finally got connected to
the internet, I did my research for folks telling
their stories on cassette tapes well before the
invention of cd's.

When I found them I placed my order to
have a new tape delivered via post office
to my home monthly.

BOY, that was a small gift with a huge
message I looked forward to receiving
for quite a few yrs to help me stay sober
and continue to live and work my AA program
to achieve many of life's blessings.

Tapes and Saturday night speaker meetings
was a win win combination for a many a yrs
and now connected to AA online for a continuous
recovery program on a daily bases.
Old 09-14-2018, 03:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
There is a guy called Bob D who does tremendously interesting talks on the 12 steps. The only problem is he goes incredibly deep and it takes a bit of getting into.

The other speaker I am a fan of is Chris R, who does some dynamic talks on the program relating to his experience of having been mislead by well intentioned people in AA and almost dying as a result. He is a passionate speaker, but his message is simple and easily understood. I first heard him when I was 20 something years sober, and he completely changed my outlook.

Both these speakers can be found on Odomtology, and XA speakers.

There are lots of other speakers who are wonderful to listen to bu, in a sense, they are like the stories in the back half of the book. They share what they used to be like, what happened, and what they are like now, but often they to specifically go into how YOU can recover. They can inspire you, without giving you direction in terms of the action you can take.

Also Katie and Charlie P are well worth a listen.
I agree with Chris R relax and take it easy with your family not the steps. It's been my silver bullet for 80 days I'm all in
Old 09-14-2018, 04:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Joe & Charlie: Big Book Study Meeting

The late Joe McQuany and Charlie Parmley, collectively known as 'Joe & Charlie's: Big Book Study Meeting' has helped thousands worldwide including myself together with the ever popular legendary Clancy Imislund aka 'Clancy at AA',both highly regarded by many.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:06 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
~sb

Try: Xa-speakers.org