Notices

Sponsor

Old 07-31-2018, 11:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sponsor

Hi Everyone.
I've popped up here once before, planned to go to a meeting, then convinced myself I could go it alone....
Well I feel grateful to be able to say I can't. I need help. I need people. I need God.

I'm going to my first meeting either tomorrow (if my flight makes it home on time) or Saturday.

I just wanted to know....is it ok to go and just ask for someone to sponsor me? I live on a tiny island and I think there are only 5 in the group. I'm a bit worried nobody will offer and I really want to get to work.

I've bought my BB and step guide. Is it possible to do the steps alone?

Thank you everyone. Rachel x
Old 08-01-2018, 03:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gabe1980 View Post
Hi Everyone.
I've popped up here once before, planned to go to a meeting, then convinced myself I could go it alone....
Well I feel grateful to be able to say I can't. I need help. I need people. I need God.

I'm going to my first meeting either tomorrow (if my flight makes it home on time) or Saturday.

I just wanted to know....is it ok to go and just ask for someone to sponsor me? I live on a tiny island and I think there are only 5 in the group. I'm a bit worried nobody will offer and I really want to get to work.

Absoultely it is ok to ask someone to sponsor you, however not necessarily a decision you have to make right away x What I would suggest is, to listen carefully to other peoples sharing, get some numbers, talk with people, until you see something in someone elses recovery which inspires you. I wouldnt advise going through the steps alone though, you really do need to have someone to guide you through it x By all means read them, but a sponsor will truely be the person who can help you work through them x
Old 08-01-2018, 04:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome! Good thoughts and questions...in my experience, I listened for awhile before I asked someone to sponsor me, around here, it is also common for people to serve as temporary sponsors and both can see if it works. Most sponsors will expect you to be committed to sobriety then Recovery.

It is certainly fine to read the BB but I needed a guide, a form if teacher, to help me actually learn it. Same with the steps. I believe we cheat ourselves of the program if we try to go it alone. One important reason for AA. In the first place is developing the support of others.

Let us know how the meeting goes.
Old 08-01-2018, 04:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

good on ya,gabe!
i have one question:
do you understand what the duty of a sponsor is?
Old 08-01-2018, 08:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

yes, it is more than okay to ask someone.

and AA has a pamphlet on sponsorship; available online just by googling. full of pertinent questions and answers.
Old 08-01-2018, 12:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by blueberry2015 View Post
Absoultely it is ok to ask someone to sponsor you, however not necessarily a decision you have to make right away x What I would suggest is, to listen carefully to other peoples sharing, get some numbers, talk with people, until you see something in someone elses recovery which inspires you. I wouldnt advise going through the steps alone though, you really do need to have someone to guide you through it x By all means read them, but a sponsor will truely be the person who can help you work through them x
Thanks Blueberry. I'm just really nervous! I've been at this point a few times now and not gone. I'm hoping after my first couple of meeting I'll settle down a bit. The step guide is really interesting, but I'm starting to understand the need for guidance. I really want someone I can connect with. Rach xx
Old 08-01-2018, 12:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Welcome! Good thoughts and questions...in my experience, I listened for awhile before I asked someone to sponsor me, around here, it is also common for people to serve as temporary sponsors and both can see if it works. Most sponsors will expect you to be committed to sobriety then Recovery.

It is certainly fine to read the BB but I needed a guide, a form if teacher, to help me actually learn it. Same with the steps. I believe we cheat ourselves of the program if we try to go it alone. One important reason for AA. In the first place is developing the support of others.

Let us know how the meeting goes.
Hi. Thank you. Yeah, I was looking at the guide yesterday and I can almost imagine me blagging my way through it - I've been conning myself quite well this far! I just trying to be positive and I'm sure that I'll meet some nice people. Trying to control that urge to go full steam ahead - I just need to take my time an breathe. Just anxious about the whole thing. Feels like a big step. Rach xx
Old 08-01-2018, 12:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
good on ya,gabe!
i have one question:
do you understand what the duty of a sponsor is?
I want to say yes but I suspect really no! Could you fill me in please? Thanks TS 😊
Old 08-01-2018, 12:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fini View Post
yes, it is more than okay to ask someone.

and AA has a pamphlet on sponsorship; available online just by googling. full of pertinent questions and answers.
Oh Awesome, that's really helpful. Thank you. Rach xx
Old 08-01-2018, 01:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Oh Awesome, that's really helpful. Thank you. Rach xx
search for
questions and answers on sponsorship AA
the pamphlet should pop up to read.
Old 08-01-2018, 03:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

http://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/p-15_Q&AonSpon.pdf

Here is the link to Questions and answers on sponsorship:
Old 08-01-2018, 03:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Vietnam Vet

Originally Posted by blueberry2015 View Post
Absolutely it is ok to ask someone to sponsor you, however not necessarily a decision you have to make right away x What I would suggest is, to listen carefully to other peoples sharing, get some numbers, talk with people, until you see something in someone else's recovery which inspires you. I wouldn't advise going through the steps alone though, you really do need to have someone to guide you through it x By all means read them, but a sponsor will truly be the person who can help you work through them x
Great response ! Like he said I would not suggest doing it alone. Working the steps with someone who has been through the struggles is invaluable. Proud of ya and you can do this!!!
Old 08-01-2018, 05:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good luck for your meeting too x x x
Old 08-01-2018, 06:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone.

Yes, it's possible to do the steps alone. Only the 5th step do you need another person.

However, as was recommended it is helpful to have someone guide you.

You can use one person or you can use several if necessary.

Also it is not a decision you need to make in a hurry. Maybe get to know the members first.

Good luck!.
Old 08-02-2018, 07:10 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Brilliant! Thank you so much everyone. Just being able to talk it over is making me more confident in going now. And thank you for the links.
Sorry to be brief, at the airport. I'll let you all know how I get on.

I guess I've been trying to get sober for this long that being a bit patient, getting the hang of meetings and hopefully meeting the right sponsor is something truly worth waiting for. One step at a time! Xx
Old 08-03-2018, 10:46 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

First meeting tomorrow at 6. I'm going straight from work. I've done quite alot of reading today and I think I understand sponsorship better. I'm a bit worried, as the group is so small but I'm sure that there will be someone who can help me.
I read through the steps again. I did this several months ago and was stuggling on the first 3 but it feels different now. I feel more spiritual and ready for that to be a big part of my life/recovery. I feel quite excited. I want to be a better person. Or just the best version of me without the booze. Either way...this can only be a good thing.

Will check in and let you all know how it goes. Wish me luck!
Old 08-03-2018, 10:54 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Great share- let us know what you think. And just remember- you don't have to learn everything at once (actually, it would be well nigh impossible!) and the only requirement for membership, as it were, is a desire to quit drinking. Take your time and keep an open mind.

Something very useful I was told early on was to look for similarities to others, not differences. That advice is still just as applicable today.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:58 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hope you made it to the meeting and get on well with it. I'm just off to pick up my 3 travel companions the drive to the next town for our Friday night shin-dig. It's my favourite of the week.

BB
Old 08-03-2018, 11:05 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Great share- let us know what you think. And just remember- you don't have to learn everything at once (actually, it would be well nigh impossible!) and the only requirement for membership, as it were, is a desire to quit drinking. Take your time and keep an open mind.

Something very useful I was told early on was to look for similarities to others, not differences. That advice is still just as applicable today.
That's great advice, thank you. I'm definitely starting to appreciate the idea of community/membership. It's so good to realise there is something ELSE I can do. I hadn't realised how alone I've felt, at times.

I struggle with taking my time but I'm being mindful that!
Old 08-03-2018, 11:06 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Berrybean View Post
Hope you made it to the meeting and get on well with it. I'm just off to pick up my 3 travel companions the drive to the next town for our Friday night shin-dig. It's my favourite of the week.

BB
Thanks BB. Enjoy your evening!