Notices

Sobriety

Old 09-21-2004, 12:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Sobriety

~
"Sobriety is the most important thing in your life, without exception. You may believe your job, or your home life, or one of many other things come first. But consider if you do not get sober, and stay sober, chances are you won't have a job, a family, sanity or even life. If you are convinced that everything in life depends on your sobriety, you have just so much more chance of getting sober and staying sober."

Taken from 15 points... (AA leaflet)

I try to remember every day.

much love
JC
Old 09-21-2004, 03:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
ted
OH SH!T

WITHOUT EXCEPTION.....I NEED TO REMEMBER THAT! :scratchch .....ted
Old 09-21-2004, 04:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Dan

Yes! How am I going to get some sobriety today? First thought waking up.
Thanks James.
Old 09-21-2004, 04:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It is hard to understand sometimes. But I now see that this is true. I was feeling a twinge of guilt, running off to meetings after dinner--and not watching TV with the kids. Well, If I think back to not so long ago, I was home, drinking and making everyone uncomfortable. Now they know my schedule, it's only an hour (hour and half with travel and hugs afterwards) and our life is so much better. I thak God for putting AA in my life, and I thank him each Am and PM for the sobriety he has given me.

Meg
Old 09-21-2004, 06:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

((((((((JC)))))))))
Keep ringing them bells JC! This post rings a good tune for me. I used to demand in prayer a job, but my Sponsor suggested I offer myself to God instead of demanding of Him. Amazing opportunities for volunteerism were presented which turned into gainful employment. It took some of the training involved for me to honestly become employable once again following my toilet :Flush: bowl swirl into alcoholism.

Wife or no wife, job or no job........ my sobriety depended upon my relationship with God because I was one who found himself beyond human aid. Being beyond human aid does not diminish my human relationships as I see those as an extension of my relationship with God. I can't very well have a relationship with God without also having them with his other children. Ahhh a fantastic balance and another reason for taking the Steps in order for me.

Thanks for the reminder!

(((((((((JC & SR A-Z #'s included))))))))))
Three Legs
:tri
Old 09-21-2004, 09:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
we're all mad here!

Yep Yep Yep and that is the truth, JC!! Thanks for posting that!
Old 09-21-2004, 12:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My first few weeks in the program were marked with a reading from the 24 Hour a Day book..Januray 6th. Seemed like every dang meeting I went to someone suggested reading that damn page. I got sick of it but the words were true then and even more true now. Back then I really didn't have much to lose by going back "out there." I would have just continued on drinking like nothing much had happened. Today though, I have a whole lot more to lose. My sobriety is like making upgrades to my home and property. The more time passes, the more I invest in it(sobriety), the more equity I build and the more I have to lose if I go back out and drink again. The scarry thing about the whole picture is that I wouldn't lose everything over night. It would take time and pain, not only to myself but to everyone around me. I'd lose "big time."
Old 09-21-2004, 12:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I like what you had to say music on that the longer you are sober the more you have to lose if you went out. I also like what 3 legacy had to say about being able to have good relationships with others by having a good relationshio with the HP. Makes alot of sense.