Notices

"AA is a Spiritual Kindergarten"

Old 01-13-2016, 09:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

"AA is a Spiritual Kindergarten"

Bill Wilson once said that AA is a spiritual kindergarten. How do you all enhance and move on in your spiritual growth from the springboard of the 12 steps?
Old 01-13-2016, 10:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
dox
paradox

First: work the twelve steps and keep working steps 10, 11 and 12.

Most importantly . . .

Carry on praying.
Old 01-13-2016, 10:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dox View Post
First: work the twelve steps and keep working steps 10, 11 and 12.

Most importantly . . .

Carry on praying.
Thanks, Dox. :-)

So do you find that the longer you live in 10, 11, and 12, the more spiritual growth you get?
Old 01-13-2016, 12:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

There are any number of spiritual practices worldwide. They have much to offer people who do not get stuck feeling like they need to pick just one.

I have also learned much about the nature of reality from studying physics. Spirituality is a part of this, connected to the sum of all.

Don't get me started.
Old 01-13-2016, 12:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

I`m still on that springboard of steps 10-12

a lot of other spiritual/religious stuff in this world makes more sense as I go along.I guess that is as much spiritual growth as I have at the moment.The mental physic change just keeps on getting better
Old 01-13-2016, 01:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Be quick to see where religious people are right. Make use of what they offer.
Old 01-13-2016, 01:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Somewhere in the Big Book someone talks of the discovery that spiritual principles "will solve all my problems". I made that discovery in AA and learnt a great deal about a spiritual way of life.

But there are virtually unlimited resources out there from which I can learn and develop and deepen my understanding and practice of those principles. Not that I am exactly a star pupil. Sloth (faint hearted in matters that are morally or spiritually difficult) being a character defect of mine.
Old 01-13-2016, 02:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi L I P .

Don't think we move on , I believe we progress and the more we improve our conscious contact in step 11 the more we progress , its like a sausage machine, meaning the more we put in then the more we get out and by continuing to do so the more spiritual growth we shall have . Daily practice of Step 11 not only improves but maintains our spiritual well being and enhances our mind body and soul which to my mind is a ''gift '' it opens our eyes and expands our minds and rewards us for our efforts with deep peace and contentment , clarity and understanding and deep gratitude for the simple things in life .

Regards .
Stevie recovered 12 03 2006 ..

words are easy music is a lot harder .
Old 01-13-2016, 03:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I got this from Boleo struggle surrender cycles.
Old 01-13-2016, 04:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
skg

I had heard that the last three steps were "Maintenance Steps," and I struggled with that because I saw people with 25-30-35 years of not drinking and they seemed miserable, acted miserable, and simply had nothing I wanted. I have these men to thank for my belief that the last three steps better be considered continual growth steps, or I'm going to get drunk again.

I used to secretly with these folks would go back out just so they'd quit being so miserable. "The spiritual life is not a theory, we have to live it." This should continue for a lifetime--I think that's in the Doctrine of AA somewhere, too... The Spiritual life, for me at least, has to be big enough and broad enough to keep me fed, to continue to enlighten through revelation, and be applicable in all weathers. A Divine Design for living.

The Twelve Steps enabled me to open the door to spirituality and a relationship (not a religion) with God as I understand Him. Your results may differ, but I will never stop expressing my thankfulness of His Grace and Mercy, and I will never forget those who serve to remind me that if I'm not growin', I'm dyin'...

The Twelve Steps, in my experience, is big enough for the most curious, and simple enough for the least impressionable. The only bar is contempt prior to investigation, as noted in Appendix II of the text of AA...
Old 01-14-2016, 05:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Our minds should remain healthily open not only to deeper levels of understanding through the continued stepwork, but to things outside of AA which will help us and places we can serve.

BTW Bbss is spiritual nursery school. We are the sickest. We can get and stay the "wellest", if we are fortunate enough to have sponsors who are trustworthy.
Old 01-14-2016, 12:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
dox
paradox

Originally Posted by LiveInPeace View Post
So do you find that the longer you live in 10, 11, and 12, the more spiritual growth you get?
My opinion means very little.

In my experience, spiritual growth is not a function of time -- even time spent in steps 10, 11, and 12.

My spiritual growth and spiritual condition seem to be more dependent on honesty, openness and willingness . . .

prayer . . .

and God's will.

I receive as much spiritual growth as I should.

And that's enough.
Old 01-14-2016, 12:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I like that dox. Thanks.
Old 01-14-2016, 02:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Spiritual kindergarten –95
We are only operating a spiritual kindergarten in which people are enabled to get over drinking and find the grace to go on living to better effect. Each man’s theology has to be his own quest, his own affair. Letter, 1954

When the Big Book was being planned, some members thought it ought to be Christian in the doctrinal sense. Others had no objection to the use of the word “God,” but wanted to avoid doctrinal issues. Spirituality, yes. Religion, no. Still others wanted a psychological book, to lure the alcoholic in. Once in, he could take God or leave him alone as he wished. To the rest of us this was shocking, but happily we listened. Our group conscience was at work to construct the most acceptable and effective book possible. Every voice was playing its appointed part. Our atheists and agnostics widened our gateway so that all who suffer might pass through, regardless of their belief of lack of belief. AA Comes of Age, pp. 162, 163, 167.
Old 01-15-2016, 02:21 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I went to an AA meeting yesterday, the topic was spirituality and one member mentioned AA as being a spiritual kindergarten. It was a great meeting people discussing AA and the spirituality that had entered their lives through the program openly and what other influences that have helped them grow along spiritual lines.
One member mentioned Paul Hedderman and suggested I watch his videos on YouTube. I often listen to Eckhart Tolle and get a lot out of his teachings and Paul Hedderman seems to meld both Eckhart Tolle and the 12 steps so far, I have
only watched 2 of his videos but like what I hear.

CaiHong
Old 01-15-2016, 06:37 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

AA spiritual kindergarten but I found it better then all the religions I practice I just keep it simple know.
Old 01-15-2016, 06:44 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LiveInPeace View Post

How do you all enhance and move on in your spiritual growth from the springboard of the 12 steps?
Church and bible study helps many.
Doctor Bob and Bill Wilson believed in Jesus and studied His good works.
Mountainman
Old 01-15-2016, 07:41 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

With only two meetings under my belt, I'm not qualified to speak about the spiritual dimension of the group.

I will say this: as an atheist, I've been welcomed with open arms, and the focus has been on sharing rather than excluding, and that has always been a spiritual principle of mine (yes, I'm a spiritual atheist, in the sense of awe at and connectedness with the Universe). The spirituality I see evinced in the groups I've attended was not doctrinal or dogmatic, but rather, seeing people in touch with themselves (to a greater or lesser degree) reaching out to touch each others' lives.

Ain't that as good as it gets?