View Single Post
Old 01-13-2016, 04:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
skg

I had heard that the last three steps were "Maintenance Steps," and I struggled with that because I saw people with 25-30-35 years of not drinking and they seemed miserable, acted miserable, and simply had nothing I wanted. I have these men to thank for my belief that the last three steps better be considered continual growth steps, or I'm going to get drunk again.

I used to secretly with these folks would go back out just so they'd quit being so miserable. "The spiritual life is not a theory, we have to live it." This should continue for a lifetime--I think that's in the Doctrine of AA somewhere, too... The Spiritual life, for me at least, has to be big enough and broad enough to keep me fed, to continue to enlighten through revelation, and be applicable in all weathers. A Divine Design for living.

The Twelve Steps enabled me to open the door to spirituality and a relationship (not a religion) with God as I understand Him. Your results may differ, but I will never stop expressing my thankfulness of His Grace and Mercy, and I will never forget those who serve to remind me that if I'm not growin', I'm dyin'...

The Twelve Steps, in my experience, is big enough for the most curious, and simple enough for the least impressionable. The only bar is contempt prior to investigation, as noted in Appendix II of the text of AA...