Notices

AA Experience

Old 11-21-2015, 11:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AA Experience

I'm currently working on applying for a job working with newly sober alcoholics. My professional experience that I can put on my resume is a bit meager. But the kind of work I'd be doing is very similar to service work I've been doing in AA. I know working with people in AA is different than doing so on a professional level, but I also think that my AA experience is what makes me a good candidate for the job. Without it I'm just some random person who mostly only has work experience working with kids. So is there a way I add it in on my resume? Or maybe in the cover letter? I do have other qualifications, but I worry that they will pass me up without mention of my sobriety experience. With any other job I would think it would be unprofessional to mention, but with this one it might be wrong not to.
Old 11-22-2015, 12:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

"For some time now I have been a volunteer in a community organisation working in this field. I have carried out both secretarial duties, organisational communications and treasury functions." Though each unit tends to be on a smaller scale and operate independently, I have gained a broad range of skills and a good understanding of what is required in this role" or something like that.

Two things to remember, AA 12 step work is never to be paid for. And secondly, if you get an interview they will ask you to eleborate.
Old 11-22-2015, 07:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
"For some time now I have been a volunteer in a community organisation working in this field. I have carried out both secretarial duties, organisational communications and treasury functions." Though each unit tends to be on a smaller scale and operate independently, I have gained a broad range of skills and a good understanding of what is required in this role" or something like that.

Two things to remember, AA 12 step work is never to be paid for. And secondly, if you get an interview they will ask you to eleborate.
It's not 12 step work, but similar enough to it that 12 step work would be some of the best preparation I can think of (aside from doing the actual job of course).

If they ask me to elaborate in the interview do I then say it was AA? They're obviously familiar with AA, but it still seems weird to discuss in an interview.
Old 11-23-2015, 01:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

First get the interview.

Then "As we go through the day we pause, when agitated or doubtful, and ask for the right thought or action. We constantly remind ourselves we are no longer running the show, humbly saying to ourselves many times each day "Thy will be done." We are then in much less danger of excitement, fear, anger, worry, self-pity, or foolish decisions. We become much more efficient. We do not tire so easily, for we are not burning up energy foolishly as we did when we were trying to arrange life to suit ourselves."

Pray about it. Being a recovered alcoholic and AA member may or may not work against you, but dishonesty certainly will.
Old 11-23-2015, 02:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I recently had to use an agency that helps Domestic Violence victims and help me they did. The initial phone interview was taken by a woman who's voice I recognized. After a few minutes it came to me who she was and I'm sure after I gave my name she knew me from the rooms also. We never once discussed AA and she referred me to the proper legal advisors, etc. that any other person who would call would get. The only slip-up I made was thanking her by her first name as it was not offered initially(probably because these orgs are anon in that they protect victims). My point is this: She may well have chosen her profession as a result of a spiritual awakening but still keeps the two separate. In the bigger picture the anonymity is mostly in place so others don't pidgeonhole you and never hear your message. Your actions will speak much louder than any promotion of AA ideals and folks will come to you. When they do, that's when you share how you did it.
Old 11-23-2015, 04:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
First get the interview.

There it is.
Old 11-23-2015, 04:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Riverbird View Post

If they ask me to elaborate in the interview do I then say it was AA?
Yes, that would be the time in which to tell them.

Not sure if my experiences in AA would carry much weight ?

MB
Old 11-23-2015, 11:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Maybe I'm not explaining myself well. It's not that I think my AA experience should get me a job, or that I plan to go preaching about AA in the professional world. The point is, we all know that we can help each other better than outsiders can. There's a reason why AA works, when so many of us have been to so many doctors, therapists, etc. and gotten nowhere.

Applying for this job, I look very different as a sober alcoholic wanting to help others, rather than some random person who has spent a bunch of time working at a children's home. In this particular instance I feel that sober alcoholic does carry some weight. It shows that I understand the needs of the clients in a way that others may not, and can provide insight into the work being done.

That's all I want to get out there, because without that aspect of who I am I doubt I would even get an interview. But I do think it's a job that I would be good at, in part because of my time spent working with others in AA.
Old 11-23-2015, 12:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Trudgin

As Mike posted - with all things - pray about it. It's your journey, no one can tell you this is right, wrong or indifferent - imo.

As an ex headhunter, I cannot let this go by however. I could see myself having a sentence on my resume for a recovery position that includes -

Knowledge and engaged experience with 12 step program.

If you feel it's weird to talk about in an interview, maybe you've already answered your own question, perhaps.

Again, I could see myself in an interview briefly sharing my story and reiterating part of that journey is working with others. For me I'd keep it brief but if asked that how I'd respond.

Best of luck