Notices

Getting arrested Sober

Old 08-06-2015, 06:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Getting arrested Sober

So have you ever seen someone in recovery get arrested for a crime? I knew a guy that got busted for buying a hooker. Did you ever get arrested while in recovery?
Old 08-06-2015, 06:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

During a stint at sobriety last year, I got arrested for driving with a suspended license. I'm sure it happens. People in recovery aren't immune to breaking the law.

That being said I've been arrested a few times while drinking. All minor offenses, but I'm much more likely to get into trouble if I'm drinking.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was just curious. A guy I knew in AA told me he had a sponsor who went to jail. I think he said is was for fraud or something.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You can take the alcohol out of the situation but that does not that does not remove the ism. _____ Na, I don't buy that bull. Just figured I'd throw it out there first. Some people just aren't too bright no matter how clean they are.
I actually had a guy yelling at me when I went back to a meeting after I slipped. Said he never slipped even after going to jail for assault and illegal arms charges while sober. I didn't want what he had obviously.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

nope,not sober...drunk,about 50 times
Old 08-06-2015, 09:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PAC86 View Post
So have you ever seen someone in recovery get arrested for a crime? I knew a guy that got busted for buying a hooker. Did you ever get arrested while in recovery?
Had minor trouble with the law three times while drinking

Fired maybe 5 or 6 time

Happy to say no such problems after getting sober
Old 08-07-2015, 01:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

In Australia, once upon a time being drunk was a mitigating factor. For example, you could tell the Magistrate, "Your honor I beat that fellow over a spilled drink because I was drunk and not in my right mind" and all was forgiven or at least it was heard. Not anymore.
I'd say there is a higher risk to get arrested for doing stupid things while drunk, getting arrested sober for stupid things, especially while working the steps? well....
On that in the States, do cops really arrest people for extremely minor offenses?
Old 08-07-2015, 04:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Grateful

You can sober up a drunken horse thief, but they will still be a horse thief.

I didn't get arrested every time I got drunk, but every time I got arrested I was drunk.

Take your pick.
Old 08-07-2015, 04:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tommyh View Post
nope,not sober...drunk,about 50 times
I'm still waiting to hear someone say they got arrested for sober and orderly conduct.
Old 08-07-2015, 04:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

No I haven't, but I'm not surprised that people do, or that people in recovery do stuff wrong. Being in recovery doesn't make us saints. It's progress, not perfection.

Also, I suppose being less likely to get caught is probably equalled out by being more likely to fess up rather than try to wriggle out of it when you do get collared for something.
Old 08-07-2015, 08:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Johno1967 View Post
In Australia, once upon a time being drunk was a mitigating factor. For example, you could tell the Magistrate, "Your honor I beat that fellow over a spilled drink because I was drunk and not in my right mind" and all was forgiven or at least it was heard. Not anymore.
I'd say there is a higher risk to get arrested for doing stupid things while drunk, getting arrested sober for stupid things, especially while working the steps? well....
On that in the States, do cops really arrest people for extremely minor offenses?

Yes, we get arrested for every little thing here in the US. America has 5% of the words total population and 25% of the worlds prisoners. Law enforcement and the judicial system here is designed to make money off of people and nothing else. The prison system is an industry as well. If you told a judge that you did something stupid because you were drunk they would likely give you a stiffer sentence. Our law enforcement officials and judicial system has been getting criticized heavily in recent times and a lot of it has to do with the war on drugs. However, it depends on where you are at in the US. Cops in large cities tend not to care about simple things like petty drug possession. However, possession of marijuana or drug paraphernalia can get some one a stint in jail in a rural area like where I live. Although, I am told that Canada is much more strict in the area of driving while intoxicated. A first offense DUI in Pennsylvania is only a misdemeanor and in most other states but I am told its the equivalent to a felony in Canada.
Old 08-08-2015, 01:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Recovered

I have. But only because the crimes I committed while using took that long to catch up with me (2 years). My warrants actually came in the mail. lol
Old 08-08-2015, 02:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Never been arrested drunk, got arrested by choice quite a few times for civil disobedience/direct action. Generally it gets dismissed or they just trespass you from that location.