Notices

So AA has no opinion on other drugs

Old 06-15-2015, 12:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So AA has no opinion on other drugs

With marijuana being legalized in many states I started to think of how people in AA would view a member smoking it. I read the chapter in Sober Living about AA and other drugs and it seemed to state that AA has no opinion on other drugs. Helping people stop drinking was the only purpose of AA. I guess a person could smoke weed and claim they are sober as long as they don't drink. I spoke to a home group member about this and he told me that he doesn't think there is anything wrong with weed and if he smoked it he wouldn't tell anyone in the rooms. He has or at least claims he has 2 years of recovery. I spoke to an old timer about this and he just winked and said AA has no opinion on other drugs. If someone got their **** together and did nothing more than smoke weed I don't think I'd care to be honest. Its not like shoot dope or drinking. How do you feel about this?
Old 06-15-2015, 02:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Aa doesn't have an official opinion on anything.
Old 06-15-2015, 02:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
totfit

I don't think one could claim to be "clean" and sober if they smoked pot, but I think the same thing about tobacco. Sometimes we forget the most important thing and that is that we live a happy productive life. When we get so caught up in semantics of time clean or sober or whatever, then that gets in the way whether we have 10 days or 10 years. I have seen so many posts like, "I am freaking out. Did I relapse", when someone does most anything. What you call something really does not matter and it matters less what someone else wants to call it.

That being said there are different individuals and one really should be honest with oneself about what they are or are not doing. If they have issues with something, then they should definitely not do it. If they feel guilt associated with something or question it, then they should likely not do that either.

I think there are some alcoholics that could most definitely smoke pot without issue, but I also think there are others that should avoid it like the plague. I guess I am just saying, "to each their own", but also "to thine own self be true".
Old 06-15-2015, 02:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Trudgin

What's in your vapor???

There are indeed members who are on the marijuana maintenance program throughout AA. I don't judge because it's not part of our creed. Not because I'm a saint, but because judging leads to resentments - leads to.......
Well, you get the picture.

Love and tolerance is our creed.

I would read the Acceptance was the Answer from the Big Book. Read about Max and his ordeals with all sorts of substances. You decide if smoking pot is a good choice or not.

I choose no - quit same time I did alcohol. I also do not take certain OTC medications and would avoid prescribed narcotics from a doctor if plausible.

The beauty is the freedom we gain in sobriety through working the steps. There is no judge, no gatekeeper

Keep coming back!
Old 06-15-2015, 02:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Friend of Jimmy B

I'm an AA member with an opinion. I don't speak for AA.

I'm kind of old school and when I was coming around we were told you can't be high and sober at the same time. My opinion and $2.75 will get me on the subway.

-allan
Old 06-15-2015, 03:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I don't care if someone smokes but I dang sure wouldn't admit it in the rooms. I would love to burn one every once in awhile but I'm pretty sure it would lead me to drink again. For me it's no bueno. To each his own.
Old 06-15-2015, 03:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

My sponsor said I could smoke it if I wanted to as our only membership requirement is a desire to stop drinking, but I know for me it is just another way of avoiding life, etc....
Old 06-15-2015, 04:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Controversial subject.

I know at least one person who has dabbled with Marijuana throughout his 5 odd years of Sobriety. At least he has been honest with his sponsor about it. The thing is, I have known this man for as long as I have been sober...and goddamn it he has CHANGED as a result of quitting drink and working this 12 step program. Compared to what he was, he is honestly one of the best EXAMPLES I know.

I have always said to him, his drug use is none of my business...unless it troubles him ..which it has from time to time. I also spoke to him a few times when he tried to chair a meeting while stoned Discreetly and lovingly removed him and told him to sit and listen.

The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. We also have a clause at our local phone office which says if you want to do telephone service, or 12 Step Calls, you should be free from any mood-altering substances for 12 months. That is by the conscience of our local Intergroup.

Anything else is none of my business.

P
Old 06-15-2015, 04:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

I tried to smoke weed at first.Everything went well until I got to step 3.
I knew I couldn`t take step 3 on weed.It was & is a matter of my personal honesty.To myself be true.
and I got drunk after that for the record
Old 06-15-2015, 04:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Not my business.

Personally I wouldn't smoke pot because I am fairly certain the drink would follow
Old 06-15-2015, 05:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I was just wondering how other individuals felt. I am on anti-depressants that have some bad side effects. I honestly believe smoking weed is safer. I got off heroin when I was 19 and just smoked weed for about 3 or 4 years and I can say that my life was great during that time. However, I started doing opiates again. I guess it wouldn't be an option for me.
Old 06-15-2015, 05:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I wouldn't recommend smoking it to anyone. I don't think it enhances sobriety or makes it more sustainable.

I just have no judgement on wether anyone else should be doing it.

P
Old 06-15-2015, 05:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I chose to abstain from all mind altering substances but what other people do is none of my business.
To thine own self be true.
Old 06-15-2015, 05:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

When I entered IOP. They gave me a questionaire about the drugs I had used. I said let's make this easier. I will check the drugs I haven't done. If I didn't check it you can assume I have used it. The intake guy laughed and said OK.

For me I have only one choice. I have to be completely free of mind altering substances. The risk is just too high for anything else.

One side note people seem think with the legalization of pot that some how makes a difference. Alcohol is legal and look where that has gotten is
Old 06-15-2015, 05:58 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

If not for a medical condition, its used for exactly the same reasons alcohol is. It fits the definition of a mood-altering drug so, to me, if its not medically prescribed (for a real medical problem and not by some quack "doctor") using it would not be considered sobriety. Doesn't the fact that you're even asking say that? I mean you didn't ask if drinking water is okay in AA. However, as others have said, I don't speak for AA. And, btw, people here who use it and alcohol refer to themselves as "dual users."
Old 06-15-2015, 07:05 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

There are some in the rooms who seem to oppose the use of anti-depressants. They'll accuse an individual of not working a program and such. In a sense by taking anti-depressants I am using a drug to cope with life. I have sever anxiety and no amount of step work fixed it. I think I blew some circuits when I was using and now I need meds to function and think clearly.
Old 06-15-2015, 07:42 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I have tons or friends in aa and na who use medications, including marijuana. Some are very open about it, (usually newcomers) old timers usually don't speak of it at meeting level. I've talked abot it with a lot of them, they all have a very similar outlook . They think bill w would have been pro medication in the 80's and pro marijuana now with the new research. It makes sense, I can't imagine a man who used lsd medicinally to say that if marijuana was prescribed for a legitimate cause and was used appropriately that it would be a "relapse".
the tricky thing , obviously it could be a relapse to some. I have friends in aa who have scripts for pain meds, I could never do that bc it's my drug of choice but they take it as prescribed so who am I to judge anithers recovery.
the people I do know in recovery who do use it have valid reasons like cancer , insomnia, anxiety etc. They aren't just taking it for fun or for recreational use. It's legalized in my state so it will be interesting to see.
To each their own I say
Old 06-15-2015, 08:40 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I guess I should clarify - a lot of them are using cbd oil and not thc. So they are not using a mind altering substance that actually gets them stoned .
There is a huge difference and it will be interesting to see what happens with it. I personally don't like it and am very prone to abusing it but my brother is a veteran served in Iraq 8 years . Dealt with horrible addiction to meth, when he got back. now he uses cbd oil for his ptsd (while working under Dr's care at va) with great results .
Old 06-16-2015, 01:01 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Grateful

I've never smoked weed without drinking. I've never snorted coke without drinking. I've never eaten mushrooms without drinking. It's a long list but I think you can see where I'm going with this.
Old 06-16-2015, 04:39 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

like Allan,I am a AA member with a opinion.If you have a service position with my home group and you are stoned ,expect to hear from me and the others.We have been thru that once or twice and we made up our minds we won`t do it again.