Notices

So AA has no opinion on other drugs

Old 11-01-2016, 10:46 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I don't really care what anyone else does. Well, its not that I don't care, it just isn't my beeswax.

One of the reasons I drink is to get blotto. To get 'high'....although that stopped a long time ago. Anyway, that need to space out, check out, get high is part of what drives my addiction so wanting to do that, even with a drug that has a low abuse potential for me, is counterproductive. I don't think pot would then lead me right to drinking (and besides I don't even like it anymore) but its that mindset of wanting to check out of reality that I have to retrain.
Old 11-01-2016, 11:21 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

One additional comment, as someone who agrees with the not my circus, not my monkeys philosophy here, as far as individual responsibility goes.....I do think that if issues with members smoking pot come up in the ways some have mentioned, then the question of whether that group is sticking to AA's primary purpose- to help the alcoholic who still suffers- has to be the guiding factor. You could have a lot of "noise and distraction" dealing with this kind of stuff, causing drama and interpersonal crap, etc.....group consciousness needs to handle that sort of thing, for sure.
Old 11-02-2016, 04:18 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

If only I could find another club........I think this horse could use more of a beating!!
Old 11-02-2016, 05:25 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

What would "the Master" say?
Old 11-02-2016, 05:32 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by JamesfrmEngland View Post
What would "the Master" say?
Nothing that could be heard through the buzz.
Old 11-04-2016, 06:14 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
..... it just isn't my beeswax.
I haven't read or heard that word "beeswax"used in that context since I was a kid. it was always from my moms mouth and aimed at me.
im having some good laughs and smiles remembering it.
also remembering how I drove her bonkers!!!LOLOLOL
or maybe more bonkers?

thanks for the great memories, frick!
Old 11-05-2016, 03:11 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

It's like the NA 'big book' in it it quite clearly says we are clean if we are free of all "mind-altering substances" yet almost everyone in the meeting drinks coffee/tea and smokes. I brought this up and they said tobacco is not mind-altering, so I said why do you smoke it if it does not alter your mind?
Old 11-05-2016, 04:29 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

It's like the NA 'big book' in it it quite clearly says we are clean if we are free of all "mind-altering substances" yet almost everyone in the meeting drinks coffee/tea and smokes. I brought this up and they said tobacco is not mind-altering, so I said why do you smoke it if it does not alter your mind?
IME, tobacco was mind altering. I did not discover this until I gave it up. It seems tobacco was my way of dealing with anger. Get a bit stressed, go have a smoke and cool down. When I stopped, the anger had nowhere to go so out it came, for about three years.

Doc diagnosed depression, what else was he going to do? It was like going right back to early recovery. At the time I didn't relate it to the smoking until I met another member who talked about similar experience.

Looking back, I don't think I was properly sober until the smokes were gone. In my case they were mood controlling which I guess is the same as mind altering. Not sure I can make that connection with coffee though. I am mostly a tea drinker.
Old 11-05-2016, 04:31 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

If you're smoking pot and claiming to be sober, you're only fooling yourself.
Old 11-10-2016, 04:29 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

So your not sober if you smoke weed but Bill W sober and he took acid. Caffeine is a psychotropic so is nicotine. I don't smoke weed I hate weed I mean if someone really had there life together I'd say there sober, I know a guy in AA who smoked weed and took magic mushrooms and still collected tokens eight years off booze. I mean this guy was the real deal came to AA in his teens relapsed 22 years. Me I wouldn't touch the stuff I think it can help people with pain and other stuff medically plus you can use it for making paper which would save trees. But for recreational use I don't agree with that at all.
Old 11-15-2016, 09:55 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dsmaxis10 View Post
So your not sober if you smoke weed but Bill W sober and he took acid. Caffeine is a psychotropic so is nicotine. I don't smoke weed I hate weed I mean if someone really had there life together I'd say there sober, I know a guy in AA who smoked weed and took magic mushrooms and still collected tokens eight years off booze. I mean this guy was the real deal came to AA in his teens relapsed 22 years. Me I wouldn't touch the stuff I think it can help people with pain and other stuff medically plus you can use it for making paper which would save trees. But for recreational use I don't agree with that at all.

So what's your opinion on cbd oil?
I suffer from bad anxiety and am trying this out. Nearly four years sober and on beta blockers for anxiety.
Old 11-15-2016, 02:46 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have no experience with it Miko. As I understand there's a variety of different things out there marketed as 'CBD oil' - some will get you high and some won't...so there's a risk there from the get go.

If it was me I'd discuss this with my doctor first to see if it is a suitable treatment for me and if they agree it is I'd go to considerable effort to ensure the stuff I use is not psychoactive.

D
Old 11-15-2016, 04:08 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Thanks

[QUOTE=Dee74;6209923]I have no experience with it Miko. As I understand there's a variety of different things out there marketed as 'CBD oil' - some will get you high and some won't...so there's a risk there from the get go.

If it was me I'd discuss this with my doctor first to see if it is a suitable treatment for me and if they agree it is I'd go to considerable effort to ensure the stuff I use is not psychoactive.

Thanks for reply dee.
The stuff isn't phychoactive , it's made from the hemp plant with nearly no thc , the phychoactive part of cannibis that gets you high.
If you drive your car after it, it wouldn't get u in trouble as it's not enough in it to show up in your blood. Also it's used on children with seizures and other illnesses and disorders , with no addictive qualities and no overdose factor. I think it might be a hidden beauty , the talk is big pharma are in process of looking at it just now and I'm sure we will see it being used more widely than it is now.
Thanks for your advice dee.
Old 11-15-2016, 04:18 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
waking down

Hard to know... I'm thinking if it helps with anxiety then it is almost by definition psychoactive. That said, I drink coffee so I'm not a purist. Still, I've managed my anxiety with Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction, and I was white-knuckling the anxiety rollercoaster for quite a while. Meditation is a lot cheaper than CBD and has a strong body of research and thousands of years of evidence regarding its effectiveness.
Old 11-15-2016, 04:47 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Administrator

The stuff isn't phychoactive , it's made from the hemp plant with nearly no thc , the phychoactive part of cannibis that gets you high.
If you drive your car after it, it wouldn't get u in trouble as it's not enough in it to show up in your blood. Also it's used on children with seizures and other illnesses and disorders , with no addictive qualities and no overdose factor. I think it might be a hidden beauty , the talk is big pharma are in process of looking at it just now and I'm sure we will see it being used more widely than it is now.
Thanks for your advice dee.
Just be careful you're buying what you want.
It's still a very frontier area with a lot of cowboys...which is why I think involving a Dr makes sense.

and yeah, I should have used intoxicating perhaps rather than psychoactive, Zero.

Intoxicating conveys my meaning better

D
Old 11-15-2016, 05:16 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Chocolate alters my mind for sure
Old 11-15-2016, 05:19 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Just be careful you're buying what you want.
It's still a very frontier area with a lot of cowboys...which is why I think involving a Dr makes sense.

and yeah, I should have used intoxicating perhaps rather than psychoactive, Zero.

Intoxicating conveys my meaning better

D
It's not prescribed in uk yet dee, but I will still have a word with him.
Also it doesn't intoxicate you, and the sellers are genuine as passed British laws to sell and have had various checks.
Thanks again
Old 11-17-2016, 04:08 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zerothehero View Post
Hard to know... I'm thinking if it helps with anxiety then it is almost by definition psychoactive. That said, I drink coffee so I'm not a purist. Still, I've managed my anxiety with Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction, and I was white-knuckling the anxiety rollercoaster for quite a while. Meditation is a lot cheaper than CBD and has a strong body of research and thousands of years of evidence regarding its effectiveness.
Also I meditate 2 times a day zero.
Just anxiety is bad at times just now. Also seeing councillor to check it out.
I am not abusing cbd oil just recommended dosage , just trying it. I've tried valerian too and felt it kept me groggy next day. I'm on beta blockers. Next would be anti depressants from docs but I'm not going that route yet
Old 11-18-2016, 12:59 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by miko67 View Post
So what's your opinion on cbd oil?
I suffer from bad anxiety and am trying this out. Nearly four years sober and on beta blockers for anxiety.
What I think about it is it could help I have fibromyalgia I'd try it if my prescribed medication quit working.
Old 11-18-2016, 01:09 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'd really hate for anyone to take something they read about here as a suggestion - I don;t think that's what Miko intended.

I'd run everything you intend to ingest past your Dr, DSMaxis.

I do.
You have to when you're already on several other medications.

Self medication got me into a whole mess of trouble and I've no desire to go down that road again.

D