Notices

Selfish Personal Peace

Old 04-29-2015, 07:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
skg

Selfish Personal Peace

When I first started getting sober I went to meetings, not because I had addictions, mind you, but because I wanted people to leave me alone; When I started working the steps, I did so because I wanted that peace that others seemed to have; When I started shopping for a god, I did so because I didn't want to let an opportunity for peace to slip by; When I finished the steps and found that I had only been given a set of spiritual tools, I yearned for peace of mind and the spiritual awakening ("..as a result of these steps...") started a life-long search for spiritual growth.

Over the days of my sobriety, I've found that I drank/drugged to make myself at peace so that the rest of the world would jump back ten feet and take notice. So I changed and my view of problems changed. When I realized that I sought only selfish personal peace at the expense of all others and all things, I was well into multiple years of sobriety and it didn't seem as though things were ever going to change around me.

As it turns out, the goal of my relationship with God today isn't so much that I have problems solved around me, but that I am spiritually fit to encounter them in the first place. I can let go of things, people, and situations that simply don't matter in that relationship. That's why I drank, after all, to change how I felt so that I could fit in this screwed up world we live in... And co-exist with the butt-munches herein... I don't search for that selfish personal peace as much as I turn the fears over to God and I Try Really Using Step Three...

A spiritual approach is far more calming than handcuffs and hangovers, too!

(originally posted on ARG in June, 2014)
Old 04-29-2015, 07:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

That's a great post SKG. Facing the world on our own terms is the hardest part of living sober IMHO.