Notices

Sober today...

Old 08-02-2004, 10:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober today...

I am at the point now where I NEED sobriety. It's been a little over a year that I have been in and out of AA, and had 100 days sober at one point, with a couple of 30 day runs in there as well. Lately I have just been uncontrollable with my drinking, last night was particularly crazed, and I drank probably a case of beer. I pi$$ my wife off by making her go buy more beer, and can't possibly be a good role model for my kids. I'm just sick of it.

I am somewhat apprehensive about going back to AA, but may go to a different meeting today, don't want to be known as the guy that keeps going out, but better to be the guy that comes back I guess .

Sitting at work feeling very sick :dead:and dreading going home to face my wife, I'm usually a blackout drinker and hope I wasn't too big of an a$$hole last night...

I'm a little worried, b/c I must go to San Francisco for a couple of days of meetings, and really can't cut loose for a meeting, oh yeah and "drinks" or cocktail hour is on the agenda. I will most likely be white knuckling, so please send positive vibes my way.

Thanks for reading, I have been obsessed by being sober today, can't mentally focus on much else....

Ken
Old 08-02-2004, 10:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

(((((KEN))))

You know we are care about you and prayers and good vibes will becoming your way. Stay strong!!!
Old 08-02-2004, 11:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

Sounds like a good start , hang in there it will get better . That meeting sounds like a great idea . Let us know how it goes . Prayers ^ Trish There is a miracle for you if you dont quit ..
Old 08-02-2004, 11:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Red face

In my Humble opinion, an alcoholic can ALWAYS find time for a meeting. Feign a headache or intestinal distress and tell them you are going to lie down. Preferably during cocktail hour. If that won't work, pray your A$$ off!!! It worked for me on more than one occasion.

Prayers are coming your way right now--

You can do it!
Old 08-03-2004, 02:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
we're all mad here!

Ken, AA will welcome you back! I know that when I see someone who comes back in repeatedly, that I feel the courageousness of that person.

I am glad you see the hopelessness of :banghead:
Old 08-04-2004, 07:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wednesday..

...still sober! Got through happy hour, dinner and a somewhat restless night.

Getting ready to start my meetings here at work.

Just wanted you all to know I didn't drink,

Ken
Old 08-04-2004, 07:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Dan

Joining you for another sober day Ken.
Well done.
Old 08-04-2004, 09:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Chy

You know the ropes, it all starts with one day at a time...go Ken,go Ken, go Ken..it's your birthday.....ohhh wait... off on a tangent again... rooting you on! PS.. take wifey some flowers?
Old 08-04-2004, 11:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Old and in the Way

Welcome back Ken, and happy birthday. Agree with Chy about the flowers, by the way. May just pick some up myself tonight. I did OK last night, but a few petals in the flower-bank never hurt anybody.
Old 08-05-2004, 05:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Ken

Like you I am around alcohol at work (cocktail hour, business meetings and so on). I was sure I had to go because not to go would bring too much attention to the “non-team player�.

What I found out was , TA-DA, no one missed me when I did not attend a cocktail hour. If I skipped out on a dinner because I was "tired" (wink wink) it was OK, I was not fired and not thought less of.

I had to find out I was not as important as I thought I was. In fact my boss now knows what I am doing and he says that its OK if I skip out on all alcohol related functions.

I am not saying that this is you but for me it was an eye-opener. I do not have to attend business function where there is alcohol and when I do its when I am spiritually strong.

good luck
Old 08-05-2004, 07:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Salvador Doggie

Dear Ken,

It's Thursday. How's it going? It's just another day and it's no big deal really to make a committment to yourself and yourself only to not drink for the next 24 hours. You can manage it that way.

But you can think about the future with optimism and have a bright outlook on a continuous recovery. I have found that these "team playing" events and other social networking exercises are just as rewarding whithout the alcohol. As you don't drink and continue to keep a clear head you will see that you will stand out and the people who really count will take notice. I have found the rewards of not drinking have presented work oportunities to really show a character that resounds with a kind of dependability, sincerity, honesty, and just plain level headed thinking that may just propell you into the corperate limelite. And eventually even the die hard heavy drinkers will find a kind of (perhaps grudging and jealous) comfort and security in your presence. You may just find that you will become the life and the heart of any event.

It's true that there is always an oporunity to get away but you and I both know that this is not always the answer to achieving success in the business world. Just keep an eye open and make yourself available and you may be amazed at the numbers of others who are in your corner. They may not be AA members but it is quite possible you will run into a caliber of people that stand head and shoulders above the rest. The world can be yours when you can navigate yourself around and through this alcoholism. Alcoholism does not have to be a handicap.

And hey Ken, If you are ever in the San Fransisco area again and need a guide to a good meeting send me a PM ahead of time. I visit there for business frequently and know some easily accessable places. If I'm not out of town (I just got back in town from a long trip)I may just be able to meet you there if my schedule permits.

Be well,

Rudiger