Notices

Twenty-Four Hours A Day 1/7/14

Old 01-06-2014, 09:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Arrow Twenty-Four Hours A Day 1/7/14

*~*~*~*^Twenty Four Hours A Day^*~*~*~*

A.A. Thought for the Day

When temptation comes, as it does sometimes to all of us, I will say to myself.- "No, my whole life depends on not taking that drink and nothing in the world can make me do it." Besides, I have promised that Higher Power that I wouldn't do it. I know that God doesn't want me to drink and I won't break my promise to, God. I've given up my right to drink and it's not my decision any longer. Have I made the choice once and for all, so that there's no going back on it?

Meditation for the Day

In silence comes God's meaning to the heart. I cannot judge when it enters the heart. I can only judge by results. God's word is spoken to the secret places of my heart and, in some hour of temptation, I find that word and realize its value for the first time. when I need it, I find it there. "Thy Father, who seeth in secret, shall reward thee openly."

Prayer for the Day

I pray that I may see God's meaning in my life. I pray that I may gladly accept what God has to teach me.

Hazelden Foundation PO Box 176 Center City, MN 55012
Old 01-07-2014, 06:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Recovered

I hate to say this.

Making a promise not to drink, even to "God", is not going to keep me from doing it. I did that a million times.

After several readings from this Hazelden book seemed to contradict the BB for me, I quit reading it. This year, I said to myself, well, even if 2% of the readings are like this, at least 98% are pretty good ones. So I will try to read it and see what I can learn.

This is one of the readings, though, that I cannot get on board with. Unless I am unblocked from my HP and am spiritually fit, I am defenseless against the first drink. Period. Regardless of promises I have made.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I understand what you are saying and agree that sometimes it seems the words or what I hear from AA speakers and members are inconsistant with my interpretation or written word of the big book.

Yes, I have promised God and others and my self...I won't drink, and then drink; so solemn vows have not protected me at all times.

I know I have asked God to help me thousands of times, and then drank anyway. I don't recall ever thinking, well I can't break my promise to God, and that has kept me sober.

I think when I drink, I have in fact given up on God, and get in a "what's the use anyhow" state of mind.

I proclaim to be religious and have faith, yet still doubt many times, as a result of where I am in life. I just don't see Him removing it, helping me, ....get...what...I want....Ah ha. What I want...when I want...how I want...He must not love me. Maybe God hates me...I'll never... have, or be...anything...it's over, I wasted my life...fear...resentment, etc.

Sometimes, it's about that I cannot stand the way I feel sober, and need to escape. I know it's not good for me, and I don't care...I drink to calm the storm of my mind. The delusion that I can safely drink comes, and I take the drink and repeat the cycle.

With regard to the book, I don't think it's a "hazelden book"...from what I have read...see attached link on history if you are interested...even though Hazelden may have purchased, or published later...it began from an AA member and was published by an AA group.

http://www.barefootsworld.net/aa24hoursbook.html

I guess, for me, what I realize is that this book is written by a member of AA, and not gospel.

I wonder if Bill W. read it daily?

I'll duck now.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Recovered

I read the readings in this book.

I was pointing out that a grain of salt is sometimes necessary, that's all. I am not interested in debating further about it.

I just don't want a newcomer reading this and thinking, "Well, AA won't work for me. I promised God I wouldn't drink and I did anyway. I guess I'm a failure."

When if he reads the BB, it clearly states that promises shromises, we drink because we have a three-part illness called alcoholism that removes the choice of whether or not we drink.

AA "approved literature" not not imply that they disapprove other literature, such as this book. I read other literature all the time (including 24hour/day) and find it immensely helpful in my recovery.