Notices

Help! about Anabuse

Old 05-23-2004, 07:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help! about Anabuse

My boyfriend is an alcoholic. He's been to rehab twice and hospitalized again a month ago and start all over drinking again. He has all the physical and mental problems: bi-polar, insomnia, diabetes, hepatitis, over-over-weight, low platelets counts...

He got an Anabuse prescription from the pychiatrist but used it only for three days. I originally hesitated to put it in his meal secretly; considering the side effects the medicine can give to a liver-impaired people, I didn't do it. Today I cannot tolerate seeing him drinking to death and getting manic episode again, I finally put some pill in his meal. I guess he took about one pill. Nine hours has past, he has consumed about 1 litre more of Rum, but he still does not seem to have any reaction from it. So what happened? Maybe he has already had large toralence of liver-toxic stuffs? Maybe he has been sick for so long that he does not even feel it any more? And, the only and last thing I can try to help him is to leave him?
Old 05-23-2004, 07:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You might want to call 911, so he will be OK.
and a good attorney, drugging someone like that is very dangerous, and a criminal act.
Old 05-23-2004, 08:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You may be fed-up, but that doesn't give you the right to slip medication to your boyfriend, especially when you know there are potential serious side effects. Please, do the right thing and call a medical profressional and tell them what you've done.

You can find plenty of support for yourself on this site. It's important for you to understand that you can't control what and now much your boyfriend drinks. Make that phone call, and then feel free to join us on Al-Anon to learn how you can free yourself from your obsession of trying to control his addiction to alcohol.
Old 05-23-2004, 08:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You may want to take the focus off of him and get the help that you need...for you.

Thats after you call 911 for his physical safety and well being, and yes, he will need it.
Old 05-23-2004, 08:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

imfedup,
I understand where you are, I really do. I was married to an alcoholic who couldn't stay sober unless he took Anabuse. Now that we understand each other...let me say this.
Please don't take it upon yourself to force feed him that stuff. It's really dangerous and it's not going to help him.
If he takes the Anabuse, in the hopes of staying sober...that's all well and good. But you can't manage his sobriety. That's his job.
Slipping Anabuse into his food when you know he's drinking is just going to make him sicker than he already is. And that is not a solution to the problem.
You can only work on how this is affecting you.
Check out the Alanon and Naranon forums here. There are a lot of people who can offer you encouragement and support.
Gabe
Old 05-23-2004, 08:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the advice. I called 911 twice in the last two months. He got into the hospital to have a break for a few days, this only enables him to drink again.

......anyway, I am feeling very bad right now. I probably should dial 911 again... He is sleeping right now.
Old 05-23-2004, 08:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Please call them right now before anyone is in serious trouble. You made a mistake, don't let it get worse than that, please!!!

Hugs
Ann
Old 05-23-2004, 08:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

He does not want to go. The first time I called 911 he didn't want to go and the policeman cannot do anything. What should I do now?
Old 05-23-2004, 09:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Chy

Call poison control and they will give you the best advice. Should be in the front of your phone book.
Old 05-24-2004, 11:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I want to thank everyone here. This was the first time I posted anything over the internet. Though criticisms are harsh for my stupidity - I actually have a medical degree and used to be a doctor in another country - I feel lucky that I found this website.

I was very sad, quilty, exhausted last night. He felt sick, but said that he would let me know if he thinks he needs an ambulance. He actually has been a lot sicker many times and almost didn't believe I did it. Anyway, this morning it's like nothing happened to him... You are all right, what I did so far has been enabling him or making things worse. I went to both Al-anon and AAs a few times. I feel more desparate after meeting those people because I am more convienced that "I" cannot help. The only thing to help both of us over the long term is for me to leave him, so that he can figure things out on his own, and I resume my own life.
Old 05-24-2004, 11:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I was on this drug for several months at the end of my drinking. The way it works is to induce severe symptoms including headache, nausea, palpitations, sweats in anyone who ingests alcohol.

This is supposed to mean that it acts as a deterent and stops the drinker taking the drink.

The fundamental flaw is that every alcoholic I have spoken to who used it and was not ready to stop drinking, drank while taking this drug, and suffered the effects.

I took this in the hope that it would stop me and it didn't.

When I got to AA, and developed a desire to stop, I continued to take it for a while because it gave my wife confidence that I wouldn't drink.

The solution to my illness is not chemical it is spiritual.

Michael
Old 03-13-2006, 10:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

girl

call 911,

Originally Posted by imfedup
Thanks for the advice. I called 911 twice in the last two months. He got into the hospital to have a break for a few days, this only enables him to drink again.

......anyway, I am feeling very bad right now. I probably should dial 911 again... He is sleeping right now.

Last edited by CarolD; 03-15-2006 at 04:03 PM.
Old 03-13-2006, 04:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

He's probably dead by now.
Old 03-13-2006, 05:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

If you can catch your husband before he gets too lit up, talk to him from the bottom of your heart without reservation. Tell him how much you love him. Tell him you are terrified for his safety and altough you under stand that he cannot imagine quitting drinking , that you would like to see him try to find another way. Chances are you have tried this route already....

Drugging another individual without their knowledge and consent is not only irresponsible it is illegal. Let that be the last time you allow yourself to take that route.

Suggestion... try contacting ALANON.
Old 03-13-2006, 06:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

i have to agree
this is not a drug to fool with

my counselor mentioned, years ago,
it gets someone violently ill
and
may be fatal

hoping he is ok

best
fraankie
Old 03-14-2006, 06:22 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

is this post 2 years old?????????????????????//
come on, guys
Old 03-15-2006, 02:32 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
BitSizeDayz

Look after all the bad things you've done the only way to help your B/friend is for you to attend Al-anon this is a suport gruop of friends and family of us AA members and thouse who still drink it will teach you what you can do to stop his drinking in a way that will not kill him
Old 03-15-2006, 03:55 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Closed by request...
please notice the date on post before replying,
Or begin your own.

Thanks everyone...