Notices

God = Group of drunks.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:56 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

My experience? I began to get well when I stopped holding on to the delusion that I had to have a higher power that I understood. In fact, I would argue that imagining I had to understand my Higher Power would be an expression of my alcoholism, rather than anything else. There are an infinite number of things in the universe I don't understand. Golf. Gardening. Annual Accounts. Moelcular Chemistry. Adam Sandler. Why would I be at ease with that, but imagine that I had to understand the First Principle?
Old 09-13-2012, 07:16 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

wow legna that is a tough one. i give her credit for being honest and she sure shot holes in the group of drunks business. hp is such a personal thing. she's going to have to figure that one out on her own i guess as group of drunks isn't working for her. maybe she can fake it. i truly don't know.

as an aside, as a fellow buddhist i like to think of god as guidance of dharma.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:23 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Originally Posted by muvinon View Post
Plenty of agnostics get sober and stay sober.

Agreed.

Years ago I was atheist. Then agnostic with atheist leanings. Now I guess agnostic with 'believer' leanings.

What I know for sure is that I am not in charge. At this point, that's all I need to know.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:19 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
She isn't willing to go to any lengths, there isn't much we can do....
Perhaps I am misunderstanding here but I do not associate 'willing to go to any lengths' with pretending to believe in something you don't. I am Buddhist for instance. Telling me that unless I give up my belief system and am willing to believe in Allah (pbuh) than I am not willing to go to any lengths is, I believe, not what 'going to any lengths' means. Likewise, telling an atheist that unless he or she converts that he or she is lost and there is nothing we can do

My sponsor was an atheist, but willing to set aside old beliefs and know that their way wasn't working, proceeded to move into the steps. The spiritual experience was real and today, my sponsor does have their own higher power.
I can see how this would work for some and I don't know why this girl I am speaking of is an atheist, but the majority of atheists are Taoist or Buddhist. Suggesting that an alcoholic Buddhist or Taoist's way wasn't working because of their belief is the same as suggesting that an alcoholic Christian became alcoholic because Christianity doesn't work.

Now if your previously atheist sponsor was simply atheist in name only, brought on by an anger or resentment toward a god that they actually believed in - just simply couldn't forgive...well then, a willingness to set aside old beliefs simply translates into a willingness to put aside a resentment which certainly would work.

When she is really ready to stay stopped, she will. Some kind of belief or willingness to believe is essential to working the steps (program or design for living) that is the AA way. Has she attempted Rational Recovery? AVRT? SMART? Women for Recovery?
No, there are no other options in this area.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:23 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BackToSquareOne View Post
I always wondered why someone who doesn't believe in a power greater than themselves would choose a program that has a higher power as its main focus. I guess you're still getting free group therapy sessions but it kind of misses the point.
First of all - love your avatar.

Many of us don't live in an area that offers alternatives to AA, many more are court ordered and don't have a choice. Personally, I have chosen a program that told me that the only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking and whose main focus is to recover from alcoholism and help other alcoholics to achieve sobriety.

I'm not being flippant, I think that this is often lost.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:32 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mark75 View Post
I know this has been asked before, but it still confuses me...

Does being atheist exclude having a Higher Power of any kind, or all types of spirituality?
Hi Mark,

I can only answer for myself, but I would give a resounding 'no'. I am a lifelong atheist who was studying for the monestary when I met my wife and the course of my life was changed. My spirituality remains the center of my life however. I am Buddhist and as such, do not believe in a god.

I don't want to go off topic but in the interest of communication and perhaps to offer an example which might clarify the issue for you:

I believe that I am made up of ego and consciousness. When the ego falls away, as often one experiences in mediation, what is left? When the ego falls away, where is this Legna person? All that is left is consciousness - that part of myself that is also in you. There is no 'self' which harbors fears, resentments, etc. Therefore, there is no self that wants to escape those fears and resentments etc., in a drink.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:34 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
i have zero expereince on being a Buddist .agnostic or atheist.
Therefore ...my spiritual practices would be useless to
her from that POV.

No I would not be sponsoring her or suggesting she finds God.

I'm thinking you could tho legna so that is why you posted.
Legna is a guy and so no, I won't be sponsoring her. But her story is not unique and I thought she illustrated her dilemma and that of others quite poignantly with her bills in the basket. Anywho, just thinking about the next man that walks through the door who is unable to articulate or demonstrate his frustration quite so well.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:40 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PaperDolls View Post
My HP doesn't pay my bills either.

I was recently at a first step meeting. One woman said "God give me everything I want today." I responded that my experience is that "My HP always gives me what I need ... not necessarily what I want." She said my experience is different than hers.....and she was respectful about it.

Any way, I wish my HP would give me everything I WANT.

I think I'm really off topic. Sorry about that.
You know, a frequently used line that I hear in AA meetings that always disturbs me is, "My HP was looking out for me even when I was out there drinking. I could have killed myself, or even someone else while I was out there drinking and driving. I could have been sent to prison for the rest of my life."

I've watched so many people die from this disease - does their HP play favorites by saving them but not others? My wife did kill someone out there while drunk. She got life without the possibility of parole. I always think to myself, that the person speaking must think that their HP loves them more. Incidentally, my wife is home now. We got life without the possibility of parole overturned to life with the possibility of parole and after twenty-four years, she's finally home.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:41 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mark75 View Post
Well, PaperDolls, IDK how off topic you are... Maybe the OP will redirect us if need be...

But, .... what is it that we want from our Higher Power, or is it need... Rhetorical question... but perhaps it is on point... maybe early on just getting through the day without picking up is all we need, or can even handle, at that point... you know?
I know - and I get it. And at that point, the ol' Group of Drunks idea can work.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:43 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CousinA View Post
Interesting topic and one that hits close to home for me. I came in as an agnostic and used Group Of Drunks and "fake it till you make it" for about 12 years and was always had some level of discomfort. Like Legna was so beaten down when I came in that I was grateful that AA had an answer for me. It was after those 12 years I realized I'm an atheist and don't believe in a creator or personal interventionist god. What has worked for me recently is the concept of Goodness or what my mom would call being a mensch - a person of integrity an honor. Something like the good as I understand it in Buddhism (but I'm not actually a buddhist).

I don't pray to a deity but take to heart the spirit of the 3rd, 7th and St. Francis prayers without the religion. That's some really good stuff. To me prayer is action. It is by that action and striving towards the good that I can overcome my shortcomings. And it is with the help and counsel of you group of drunks and others that I'm able to keep going. It's not entirely by the book, but here I am going on almost 31 years. Oh my metaphorical god, how did that happen?

And some days my higher power is the picture of Harry Dean Stanton that is for some reason in the room of a Sunday evening meeting I sometimes attend.

How i work with newcomers or not so newcomers is how people worked with me. Coffee and conversation and the respectful exchange of ideas and the realization that this an ongoing process. I hope this has been helpful and relevant to the discussion.
It has been - very much so. Thank you.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:45 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by augustwest View Post
wow legna that is a tough one. i give her credit for being honest and she sure shot holes in the group of drunks business. hp is such a personal thing. she's going to have to figure that one out on her own i guess as group of drunks isn't working for her. maybe she can fake it. i truly don't know.

as an aside, as a fellow buddhist i like to think of god as guidance of dharma.
Always a pleasure to meet a fellow Buddhist on the path - I'm grateful that you weighed in.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:52 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Hello Legna, I hope I can be of some assistance.

I was one those "angry at god" atheist at first when I became an X-Christen. I dropped that "angry" mess I began to follow Buddhism and chilled out about the G*d business. Recently I went back to atheism (implicit atheist) because its okay not to be a believer wile working the steps. And I feel like an atheist at my core, like hard core

Jimmy B, forth original AA member who argued to include "as you understand Him" into the 12-steps was an atheist that went to his grave with 3 decades of sobriety in AA all the wile being an atheist. He wrote:
For the new agnostic or atheist just coming in, I will try to give very briefly my milestones in recovery.
1. The first power I found greater than myself was John Barleycorn. k
2. The A.A. Fellowship became my Higher Power for the first two years.
3. Gradually, I came to believe that God and Good were synonymous and were found in all of us.
4. And I found that by meditating and trying to tune in on my better self for guidance and answers, I became more comfortable and steady.
- J.B., San Diego, California.
Jimmy B is the man , I've been doing what he did with great results. I think I see why Jimmy chose to include GOOD as a HP.

We took A.A.'s Twelve Steps over to the largest Buddhist monastery in this province. We showed them to the priest at the head of it. After he had finished looking over the Twelve Steps, the monk said, "Why, these are fine! Since we as Buddhists don't understand God just as you do, it might be slightly more acceptable if you inserted the word 'good' in your Steps instead of 'God.' Nevertheless, you say in these Steps that it is God as you understand Him. That clears up the point for us. Yes, A.A.'s Twelve Steps will certainly be accepted by the Buddhists around here."
Alcoholics Anonymous Comes Of Age, William G. Wilson, page 81.

GOOD works for me. I see "GOOD" as my Higher Potential because I'm achieving greater peace of mind and a diminishing ego along with more GOOD things. GOOD is a great HP for me. Good Orderly Direction is what I get with the amazing information about being an agnostic/atheist in AA.
I have far more acceptance of the Agnostic 12 Steps than try to do the necessary mental gymnastics in order to work the steps as written. The truth for me (and I see for other agnostics/atheist), that a psyche shift from working the AA or AA Agnostic steps lead to the promises and are/will recovered from alcoholism.

And from Bill W:

In AA's first years I all but ruined the whole undertaking with this sort of unconscious arrogance. God as I understood Him had to be for everybody. Sometimes my aggression was subtle and sometimes it was crude. But either way it was damaging - perhaps fatally so - to numbers of non-believers. Of course this sort of thing isn't confined to Twelfth Step work. It is very apt to leak out into our relationships with everybody. Even now, I catch myself chanting that same old barrier-building refrain, "Do as I do, believe as I do - or else!"
The Dilemma of No Faith, By Bill Wilson, AA Grapevine, April 1961
Wise word from Bill. I think its best to not chase off the agnostic/atheist types from AA. People do change and who knows, beliefs or non-beliefs can change too. Work the best one can with the non-believers. Look for some common ground and go from there.

As an X-Christan I can see the difficulty a believer and or spiritual person would have when working with a agnostic/atheist newbie. I think patience and forgiveness would be a good foundation when working with the agnostic/atheist peeps.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:03 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Originally Posted by legna View Post
First of all - love your avatar.

Many of us don't live in an area that offers alternatives to AA, many more are court ordered and don't have a choice. Personally, I have chosen a program that told me that the only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking and whose main focus is to recover from alcoholism and help other alcoholics to achieve sobriety.

I'm not being flippant, I think that this is often lost.
It should be noted that most programs, and certainly SMART, are available online and can be accessed by anyone with a computer...just like SR.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:04 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Loved hearing from you Zencat. I am very familiar with Bill's article in the Grapevine from which you quoted and recently read it at the group at which the girl in question offered her bills. I was struck by some of the suggestions to her (including more than one invitation to leave) and it was received with mixed reactions.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:49 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by legna View Post
What she said was this:

"Look, I know you all aren't going to pay my bills for me, but I really don't know what to do. You say that I can choose any HP I want and I've chosen the group - ya'll have stayed sober and I haven't been able to on my own so clearly you folks have something I want. Ya'll have told me that the group is a fine choice and that many have done so before me. But then, when I come to you with my problems you tell me don't drink, come to meetings and ask my hp for help. Well I've got 23 days without a drink, have been to 52 meetings and ya'll are my higher power. Ya'll ain't going to pay my bills, you don't want me doing the fifth step with the group...which I don't really want to do either but I would if it'd keep me from picking up a drink, ya'll aren't going to remove my shortcomings and you don't want me praying to you.

So how exactly can I use this group of drunks as my higher power?"
That is not a terribly odd situation. She is in a common bind a lot of people find themselves in, they ask things of God that God does not or will not deliver. I've prayed for a winning lottery ticket before. No dice. God is not a vending machine.

She has found that her concept of God is unworkable. Many of us do. Even the little sunbeams for Jesus run into this. She needs a different higher power. No one can work that out for her. I can share what works for me but that is all I can do.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:25 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Agreed.

Years ago I was atheist. Then agnostic with atheist leanings. Now I guess agnostic with 'believer' leanings.

What I know for sure is that I am not in charge. At this point, that's all I need to know.
My own spiritual sensibility was validated when a monsignor shared that at 17 years sober, he realized that the "face" of his God within him truly was alot more like a high school principal......fairminded, judicious, and utterly uninterested in him as a person. I figured....ok, if a monsignor whose job it is to mentor people spiritually can get honest, then it's certainly ok if I don't choose some self-riteous position on this matter.

And the worst time I've ever had in recovery is when I tried to force myself to believe in what others believed.

My relationship with my higher power is what is central to my own ability to do much good in this world. If I trust, then I'm free to offer others help and support. If I'm not trusting, then I'm usually not worth a damn to anyone, even not to myself.

So, to thine own self be true. And I stay away from people who insist on their concept of God or, as one shared even here, "can't help those who are unwilling."

yikes! That so doesn't jibe with my notion of a spiritual perspective.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:36 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

My HP doesn't pay my bills either.

I was recently at a first step meeting. One woman said "God give me everything I want today." I responded that my experience is that "My HP always gives me what I need ... not necessarily what I want." She said my experience is different than hers.....and she was respectful about it.

Any way, I wish my HP would give me everything I WANT..
yes, but you prefer what ya need,eh?
Old 09-13-2012, 05:59 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

questions similar to these can bea lil baffling and its hard for me to say what i would say when its on the spot. but when confronted by a similar question, what works best for me is to take a moment to ask my HP for wisdom and help to carry the message of AA, which the 12th step states,"...carry this message to alcoholics", being the message as it is in the big book.

now, heres is an opinion of what i would say with a lil time to think:
" it bothers me,too, to hear people say use the group, a cup, doorknob, or your dog as yer HP. what happens if the group collapses, the cup gets smashed, the building with the doorknob burns down, or the dog dies?does this mean you are doomed? well,no, because it is misinformation of what AA teaches.
beings how the 2nd step states we have to have a power greater than ourselves and B of the pertinent ideas is no human power could relieve us of alcoholism, and if you are like me and the ones who the BB is written about, you have the experience that nobody could restore you to sanity or was able to help you stop drinking, then, no, the group will not help.
now, if you would like, we can sit down with the big book and go through "we agnostics" and discuss what the big book says on the subject and find a solution."
or something to that effect.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:38 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Awesome thread... Thanx legna and everyone.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:09 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Even the little sunbeams for Jesus run into this.

Thanks for the thread Legna, and what you said about the "God was looking out for me while I was drinking" cliche struck a chord with me. From my very early days I thought about all the people who die from this disease and that phrase always struck me as crass. It suggested that God picked and chose who lived and died. Once we accept that as a premise then I think we're into that whole ethical pseudo-calculus that leads people to say that disabled children are born to women who have previously had abortions.

Again, just sharing my own experience, and just trying to describe that, I feel like for all of my life I was unknowingly separated from... well, everything. For the sake of shorthand it was as if there was a separate Me, and there was everything else - the Other. The thing is, it's a delusion on my part to imagine that I'm separate. I am connected to reality whether I like it or not. I use its gravity, its oxygen, its temperature, its dimensions - and then all the other stuff like food and people and water and laptops. So to continue with the delusion that I am somehow separate is an unsustainable, unmanageable state. It's insanity. The first three steps help me to smash that delusion, and help me to acknowledge what is already true - that I am connected to the Other - indeed part of it - and that the illusion of separation is an insanity which I can only overcome by participating in the relationship with the Other that I have tried to deny for so long.

I don't have to understand all of the aspects of that connection - I just have to acknolwedge it, and acknowledge that by accepting the truth of that connection, I will be retruned to sanity. It's like everything else in the programme - I have to take the action that is required of me - and not be trying to decide what the outcomes of that will be.

Certainly that's what it feels like happened to me.