Old 11-23-2003, 11:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Chy

AA Big Book Quote 11/23

Still you may say: "But I will not have the benefit of
contact with you who wrote this book." We cannot be
sure. God will determine that, so you must remember
that your real reliance is always upon Him. He will
show you how to create the fellowship you crave.

Alcoholics Anonymous, Big Book, Online Version, A vision fo you, pg. 164
Old 11-23-2003, 05:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Digitally Remastered

My *real* reliance is always upon a power greater than myself. Right....that's what I thought and really needed to read this today. I have been searching for *my* particular brand of spiritual path and it's working REALLY well for me.

It's answering questions I would ask my sponsor and is throwing responses back to me like my sponsor does, but with terms like "karma" and others. [My sponsor has always taught that I give out what I want back...She's my *all around* sponsor really, meaning she's teaching me how to crawl and then walk, and in all aspects - which is what I needed I was so sick when I came in.]

So I find myself on this glorious spiritual journey, expanding my horizons, attending other meetings [some may go to *church*] and reading about my higher power...some may read the Bible.

Last night I was crestfallen when in gabbing with some other AA's after a meeting, one or two were replying I should stick with the program of AA...more or less forget my spiritual journey [and what was neglected to be said but was like a thick fog in the room] because "it wasn't conforming and may upset me."

I have to say that had I been talking about attending church or what not...I don't think it would have been an issue. But, yes, I'm into alternative routes [roots? ] and so, the big "no no."

I had/have always envisioned AA as introducing me to spiritual concepts [reintroducing me to my HP so to speak] and so I run with it. In MY program, AA is NOT the end all, be all to my recovery. I enjoy taking out into society, bringing into my home, interacting with my family and friends, my new sober self.

AA is my vehicle to recovery. RECOVERY is my beginning to a better life based on spiritual principles. My SPIRITUALITY is what keeps me IN my better life, going back to AA, sharing my experience, my strength, my hope. I am glad the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous confirms what I *thought* I had discovered to be true in the very beginning.

For the record: If some people find AA to be the alpha AND omega, that's fine with me...If AA, itself, someone's Higher Power I don't care. Parodoxically, it's the program of AA that has taught me to not concern myself with who your HP is. If it bothers ME who YOUR HP is, I know I'd have to look at myself and perhaps do some cleaning. It's also AA that's taught me to be a contributing member of society and not necessarily make AA my sole vocation. Maybe some people are meant to do that, I am not.

"He will show you how to create the fellowship you crave." I really appreciate that.

Good quote Chy. Thank you.

Darnedly Dharmic,
Digits