Notices

All Things Come In God's Time?

Old 05-24-2011, 01:45 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I must agree to disagree, apparently I am missing your point.

Take what you want, and leave the rest.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:05 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Actually, what I posted was offered in the spirit of trying to be helpful. I have many years experience working Personnel. There are many out there who don't know what employers are looking for, and being the nameless, faceless format that these boards are, I attempted to share my knowledge.

Apparently, OP knows it all already, so it was wasted space on a forum board.

I also believe what I believe, and whether someone considers what I believe to be "weird fatalism" is not my problem. I live it; it gives me comfort and strength during tough times.

That being said, I still wish you well...........
Old 05-24-2011, 03:09 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BoogieDown View Post
I have been on job search for a month now (house rules), and I have put out 25-30 job applications, I have only had 2 interviews and no other calls back. So this is not for a lack of effort that I don't have a job. I'm college educated, have no rap sheet, and I can't even get a job at McDonald's. I don't understand it.
It is the economy. It sucks. I have applied to well over a 100 jobs and have only had a few hits. I have a master's with additional years studying at the Ph.d. level and I have been turned down so many jobs that I was overqualified for. I am currently an adjunct instructor who gives plasma on the side. I made more money in highschool.

After nine months, things are starting to look up.

It is not just you. This economy sucks and I am sorry that you are struggling.

Have you tried temp agencies? If you haven't, then you should since the more people on your side looking for a job, the better your chances are.

Indeed.com is a great job search engine. I would also check it out.
Job Search | one search. all jobs. Indeed.com
Old 05-24-2011, 04:26 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

You could join the military service....they are hiring...

If you are already a Vet..check out the generous GI Bill in place.
Then you could find a different career or add skills that might prove marketable.
Health care is an on going field with all sorts of niches'

Welcome to SR....
Old 05-25-2011, 04:52 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

BoogieDown,

Wife or no wife, job or no job, what Step are you on?

Faith in a higher power, and a simple program of action is what has worked for me.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:37 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

The house rules forbid me from working with the welfare and unemployment offices while I'm a resident. I have no friends/family to stay with. I have an excellent resume and have dropped it off at countless prospective employers. I'm an intelligent, personable young man and I can't even get a call back from the McDonald's and Stop and Shop. I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone! I can't believe that this actually might happen. I've been foolishly clinging to the whole "keep praying and doing the right thing and everything will work itself out" notion for so long that I didn't even consider this. it The probability of none of these places calling me back is crazy... I don't know what I'm going to do if I don't find work in the next two weeks...
as you know or suspect already BoogieDown: the economy is in terrible shape. you have to continue to keep doing the Next right thing.. no matter what. do you believe god has been watching over you so far? i wish you the best of luck! (i have worked for more temp's than i would like to admit)
Old 05-25-2011, 01:50 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Sobriety date April 19th 2011

But regression is not a blessing. Doing the next right thing day in and day out in sobriety and working my butt off to get a job is not supposed to take me from a halfway house (which is a blessing) to a park bench.

Million dollar question....

How do you know ?

Who are you to decide how it's suppose to be ?

In a sincere way , perhaps that is why you haven't moved on yet. You still have these expectations of how things "should be" based on your own feelings and thoughts rather than "They will be as are"

If you read the 3rd step prayer I think you will see that you haven't yet completed the third step. I thought I had too until I got a rude awakening to the fact that I had not. ( mentioned this in the other thread )

Many times in my life I've gone through terrific struggles , during the struggle I hated it , didn't understand it , thought it unfair and not right.... Later looking back... It was the best thing that ever happened to me because it gave me new strength, new perspective, new understanding of myself and others.

You know the "Footsteps in the sand" message right ?

Also this is a sappy song that most young guys wouldn't appreciate so I'm just going to post the lyrics as it's something I've felt and thought about for many years....

Laura Story - Blessings (Listen: Aline Barros) - Music Videos - GodTube

We pray for blessings
We pray for peace
Comfort for family, protection while we sleep
We pray for healing, for prosperity
We pray for Your mighty hand to ease our suffering
All the while, You hear each spoken need
Yet love us way too much to give us lesser things

Cause what if Your blessings come through raindrops
What if Your healing comes through tears
What if a thousand sleepless nights
Are what it takes to know You’re near
What if trials of this life are Your mercies in disguise

We pray for wisdom
Your voice to hear
And we cry in anger when we cannot feel You near
We doubt Your goodness, we doubt Your love
As if every promise from Your Word is not enough
All the while, You hear each desperate plea
And long that we'd have faith to believe

What if a thousand sleepless nights
And what if trials of this life are Your mercies in disguise

When friends betray us
When darkness seems to win
We know the pain reminds this heart
That this is not, this is not our home
It's not our home

And what if a thousand sleepless nights
What if my greatest disappointments
Or the aching of this life
Is the revealing of a greater thirst this world can’t satisfy
And what if trials of this life
The rain, the storms, the hardest nights
Are Your mercies in disguise

I hope you can find peace and serenity in your struggles....
Old 05-25-2011, 01:54 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Sobriety date April 19th 2011

Originally Posted by DayTrader View Post

1. To get something you never had, you have to do something you never did.
2. The Will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

Sometimes (especially in early sobriety) "living on a spiritual basis" sure felt an awful lot like being the world's bit*h. I was always (it seemed to me) caving in, forgiving, understanding, not getting angry, etc etc etc.

And remember -

1. Your future is not set in stone - plenty can happen before the fat lady sings
2. Your best thinking is what took you to where you are now.....try to be open to not alllllways relying upon your best judgement.
3. If your HP can't or won't help you in a situation like this.....maybe it's time for a new HP.......or maybe it's time to work on acceptance and see what it is about this potential situation that you're supposed to learn.
4. .....especially in AA....... I don't know a whole lot of ppl who are 100% happy about everything that's happening in their lives. Sobriety and a relationship with a God of your understanding don't promise life will go the way you want it to. They DO promise that you can be happy, joyous and free in spite of the "bad things" in your life. --how cool is that? - you can be happy EVEN when your external surrounding are not to your liking. .......now that's a complete internal change, huh?

--and finally... If your sponsor, most of the ppl here, and the ppl in your homegroup are all telling you the same thing: relax, things work out, keep praying, etc.........what makes you SO sure you're right and everyone else is wrong? --no need to answer, that s a rhetorical question.

I think KJell,Darklight and Daytrader said quite alot here that you may not want to hear but need to hear.

and Daytrader if you don't mind , I'm stealing a few of these for my Gchat quotes
Old 05-25-2011, 03:06 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

!!

hey boogiedown,

i was in a fairly similar situation in my first year of recovery; my landlord sold the house i was living in, i was having very little luck finding somewhere new to live (i was on the english equivalent of welfare- i don't know where you live, but over here it's pretty tricky to find someone who'll rent to people who are on welfare. not impossible, but it took a while) and i was terrified of being made homeless. for six weeks or so i was homeless, in legal terms anyway- i was sleeping on friends' sofas for that period and 'of no fixed abode'. it was a horrible situation, and i can't pretend to you i felt happy, joyous and free throughout it. it effing sucked to be honest.

BUT- i was getting to plenty of meetings, talking honestly to people about what was going on, talking to my sponsor, and I'd just taken step 3 and was working on step 4. i seriously wanted to get sober, and i knew that if i didn't do the suggested things, i would drink, and drink, and drink, and that if i wasn't on a park bench at that point, it sure wouldn't take long for me to end up on one if i picked up. so i didn't want to drink. and at the time, i hadn't a clue what my HP was- i was pretty agnostic even then. i didn't know if i believed in god, but prayed nonetheless (i'm fairly sure i don't believe in god now, but i believe in aa and the people in it totally, and that's my higher power). because i didnt want to drink, that was all i knew.

i didn't drink. i slept on peoples' sofas and carried my stuff from aa person's sofa to aa person's sofa in three plastic bags, and i hadn't any money, and it was november and oh my god it was a bull**** situation but i can laugh about it now. and i went to my sponsor's house and told her all this stuff about me that i've never told anybody and it was like, 'why am i doing this? oh yeah, because i don't want to drink because i've got nowhere to live and i'll end up on a park bench and then i'll probably die, or worse, end up living with my parents again at the age of 31, jesus! and then i'd cry a bit and troll off to sleep on someone's sofa. and there was a little bit of self- pity every now and again, but hey, i was 9 months sober, with holes in my shoes, having to borrow money off people to eat, trolling my belongings around in plastic bags; so sue me. i had a roof over my head, and food in my belly, and even if my pride was taking a *bruising* mostly i was just ASTONISHED that all this stuff was happening and i didn't want to drink, when for my entire life all it took for me to pick up was if the my woman behind the counter at macdonalds looked at me funny when i asked for a large fries.

when i finally found somewhere to live, aa people helped me move in and gave me stuff for my flat (like the first frying pan i'd ever owned, and a plastic christmas tree. ) for real, it was amazing. all the way through, i knew it was going to be okay, as long as i didn't drink.

so anyway, boogiedown, don't i rattle on. what i'm trying to say is- do you want to drink? if the answer is yes, get to a meeting. ring your sponsor, or if your sponsor is one of those good old arse- kicky sponsors who'll be like 'pity party, suck it up, phone a newcomer', then ring someone mellower who'll be like 'oh man! screw the economy. that is bull****. do you want to come to a meeting? i'm taking a newcomer. then we can go get baklava and talk about your step 4'. but you know. just do it. the alternative is drinking.

if the answer is no, drinking is the furthest thing from your mind: ROCK ON! look what you can deal with without wanting a drink! it's an effing miracle, my friend. one day at a time, you're gonna be fine. you're gonna be fine anyway. just get to meetings, and do the stuff. it doesn't feel like it now, but just grit your teeth and do the stuff. i promise you, it'll get better.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:41 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I'm closeing this one in favor of a 2nd one....to be found here

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-sobriety.html
Thanks everyone for sharing...