Notices

Sos

Old 11-19-2003, 03:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sos

God - I am in so much pain - I am wondering if I can get through today. This pain (or craving) sits right there in my body - the brain is so powerful when it comes to pursevading me to drink. I do not want to drink - I am gradually reducing the anti-depressants I have been prescribed for years - perhaps that does not help?
Felicia
Old 11-19-2003, 04:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Felicia

We all fought the “Urge” that our brain used to trick us, I still have those time when I want (sometimes need) a drink).But I have something that worked for me and I hope you can too,

My suggestions

1 – If you are going to reduce medication, reduce your medication ONLY under a Doctor's supervision. DO NOT play Doctor.

2 – Meetings, Meetings, Meetings .. I did my 90 in 90 and it worked. This gave me something to focus on instead of me and my urges. Some meetings were good while others bad. But the point is I changed my habits

3 – A sponsor is perfect to discuss what you are going thru. Look for someone whose recovery you respect and seek them out.

4 – Keep sharing, keep talking and keep coming back. People will help.
Old 11-19-2003, 05:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Felicia, I agree with Al. Be careful with reducing your medication - it can cause problems for you. I would suggest trying to do anything that will take your mind off drinking - watch a movie, go for a walk, read a book, do something for someone you love...it can help! Hang in there girl.

Hugs and love,
Anna
Old 11-19-2003, 05:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Lightbulb Sorry to see

you are having trouble Felicia

Al is right on with his post.
And..

I would suggest asking HP for peace

Take long brisk walk

Eat Ice cream...Drink gallons of water

Tis too shall pass...Do Not Drink.

You Can Do This...
Old 11-19-2003, 06:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Chy

Hang in there Felicia.. remember the demon doesn't sit far from you and you need to keep pushing him away. I too hope your reducing your meds under a doctors care. Some day's are better then others, if your going to meetings, go to many during this difficult time, talk to your sponsor, and pray that Serenity Prayer, it works! *hugs*
Old 11-19-2003, 10:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Paused

The first word in the body of your own post is your answer: God.

The suggestions “I would suggest asking HP for peace” and “pray that Serenity Prayer” say it for me.

The only relief we have to suggest in Alcoholics Anonymous is a spiritual awakening as the result of practicing the principles in the Steps. Sometimes read in meetings, one of the promises following the Tenth Step reads: “We have not even sworn off. Instead, the problem has been removed. It does not exist for us.” Today, and for many days, thoughts to drink are entirely absent in us recovered alcoholics.

If your problem is cravings and urges to drink, we in A.A. believe that we do not have the willpower to combat that mental obsession. Our strength to not drink must come from a Power Greater Than Ourselves. Later the Basic Text of Alcoholics Anonymous gives advice to a woman whose husband is drinking: “God has either removed your husband's liquor problem or He has not. If not, it had better be found out right away. Then you and your husband can get right down to fundamentals. If a repetition is to be prevented, place the problem, along with everything else, in God's hands.” The only solution we have to suggest is total abstinence, and the power to abstain must come from God. Meetings may help you, go to them, a sponsor can help you practice the Steps, get one, but in crisis ask the One who has all power- that One is God. May you find Him now!

God/ Higher Power/ Power Greater Than Ourselves Bless You!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Adam

P.S. – It works! Six years today!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-19-2003, 10:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Felicia !

Just remember , it is only for today!

Just don't pick up that first drink.....TODAY!

This too shall pass!

you CAN do it felicia , we are all pulling for you

HUGX
lee
Old 11-19-2003, 03:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hang in there Felicia, it won't always be this hard. Just for today, you can stay sober.

Be gentle with yourself and try doing something just for you today. Just one thing, whatever that might be. I'm having a tough time right now too and this really helps me, sometimes that one thing is taking myself to a meeting.

Hugs,
Amy
Old 11-20-2003, 06:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Call someone and get to a meeting. I did 110 meetings in the first 90 days and it kept me out of trouble.

If you don't have a sponsor get one...even a temporary one.

The good thing is that the cravings will subside with time.

One day at a time. Wishing you the best with my prayers.
Old 11-21-2003, 12:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

thank you

Thank you all who have replied - I am on my way up now...
You are a great bunch of people - Thanks again
Best wishes from
Felicia
Old 11-21-2003, 06:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Paused

Hello Felicia...one day at a time...one thing at a time...anti-depressants also have a withdrawal syndrome...like any other drug they affect neurochemistry...when I started this journey I decided I would get off all mind altering chemicals...darn near drove myself crazy with the nicotine withdrawal...so finally gave up and didn't quit cigarettes until after the first year...alcohol and drugs create profound changes in brain function and neurochemistry and it takes time to heal...if we do nothing research now shows it takes 6 months to 2 years on the average to re-establish "normal" function...it may well be that we suffered from depression and anxiety before we started self-medicating...yet the truth is depression and anxiety are normal parts of recovery and healing...the reason for this is that alcohol in small doses excite and in large doses depresses neurochemistry...all drugs affect brain neurochemistry or we would not do them...so when we quit our minds and bodies have adapted to this outside chemical assault...the withdrawal syndromes that we suffer from are simply the the effects of trying to come back to some sense of normalcy...what ever that is for us individually...if you try to come off every thing you are doing all at once you will have a level of compound withdrawal which for many drives them back to their drug of choice...How long did it take you to get to this point?...how long have you used? But more importantly, How long are you willing to commit yourself to this healing process...It dosn't happen in a day...If you used for 2o years are you willing to commit 10% of that time to coming back to "normal"...or for the healing process to have a fair chance of reaching this state of normalcy...the hardest part for all of us is to commit to the long term and stay focused on one day at a time...but this is how it works...hang in there and be careful not to try and do to much at once...hang in there...dr dave