Thread: Sos
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2003, 06:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
docdave
Paused

Hello Felicia...one day at a time...one thing at a time...anti-depressants also have a withdrawal syndrome...like any other drug they affect neurochemistry...when I started this journey I decided I would get off all mind altering chemicals...darn near drove myself crazy with the nicotine withdrawal...so finally gave up and didn't quit cigarettes until after the first year...alcohol and drugs create profound changes in brain function and neurochemistry and it takes time to heal...if we do nothing research now shows it takes 6 months to 2 years on the average to re-establish "normal" function...it may well be that we suffered from depression and anxiety before we started self-medicating...yet the truth is depression and anxiety are normal parts of recovery and healing...the reason for this is that alcohol in small doses excite and in large doses depresses neurochemistry...all drugs affect brain neurochemistry or we would not do them...so when we quit our minds and bodies have adapted to this outside chemical assault...the withdrawal syndromes that we suffer from are simply the the effects of trying to come back to some sense of normalcy...what ever that is for us individually...if you try to come off every thing you are doing all at once you will have a level of compound withdrawal which for many drives them back to their drug of choice...How long did it take you to get to this point?...how long have you used? But more importantly, How long are you willing to commit yourself to this healing process...It dosn't happen in a day...If you used for 2o years are you willing to commit 10% of that time to coming back to "normal"...or for the healing process to have a fair chance of reaching this state of normalcy...the hardest part for all of us is to commit to the long term and stay focused on one day at a time...but this is how it works...hang in there and be careful not to try and do to much at once...hang in there...dr dave