Notices

12 step?

Old 11-04-2003, 08:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

12 step?

Can someone please tell me what it means to "twelve step" someone? One of the speakers at the meeting tonight said he was "twelve stepped" three times but I didn't get the impression he was talking about going through the twelve steps.

Thank you
Helen
Old 11-04-2003, 09:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The 12th step refers to carrying the message to others.And so,to 12th step someone is to share your experience with them,and hopefully to help them find sobriety themselves.A 12 step call is the initial contact between someone in AA,and someone reaching out for help.Now,through the wonders of modern technology,and the tireless efforts of people like Jon,the mods,and all the members of this wonderful site,a lot of 12 stepping happens right here every day

phoenix
Old 11-04-2003, 02:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Helz,
Pheonix wrote:
"Now,through the wonders of modern technology,and the tireless efforts of people like Jon,the mods,and all the members of this wonderful site,a lot of 12 stepping happens right here every day."

And I agree. There is a lot of twelve stepping going on here on this site. However, I think it's a shame that modern technology has robbed a lot of people from living the opportunity to sit with a drunk in his home with his wife sobbing in the other room and sharing the miracle of the AA program with him. Some don't remember, some do, but the important thing is that the calls I made 20 years ago, I still remember. See, that's the paradox of this program. I don't know whether or not any of the people I've talked to in my years of being sober, are still sober, dead, drinking or whatever. I know I benefited from those experiences and that's How It Works! I didn't go on those calls at 3:00 a.m. for the particular benefit of the person I was visiting. I went so I'd stay sober. So far it's worked.
To sit in a dark smelly house with cigarette butts and empty bottles laying all over; to have the person stumble into the bathroom to puke; even to sit there while he passes out temporarily only to come to and ask who the hell are you, sticks in my mind and probably will for a long time to come. Those people have no idea how much good they did for me.
Sound selfish?? It is!! But you know what....it works. My motive for going was to give back what was so freely given to me but in the end, I'm the one who benefited.
Old 11-04-2003, 04:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks

Thanks so much Phoenix and Music

I do understand what it means now. It certainly does make sense in the context it was said. I realised that it didn't relate to the steps because he said that he was in a blackout the first two times and didn't realise someone had "twelve stepped" him. Now I understand completely.

Music, I can see why it is a very important step now too.

Thank you very much,
Helen
Old 11-04-2003, 06:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Chy

You've just been twelve stepped via pm today!! *hugs*
Old 11-04-2003, 07:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Gotcha Chy!

I'm starting to understand the "lingo"!!!

((((Hugs)))))

Thanks for your message, much appreciated.

Love Helen
xo
Old 11-05-2003, 06:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally posted by Music
Hi Helz,
Pheonix wrote:
"Now,through the wonders of modern technology,and the tireless efforts of people like Jon,the mods,and all the members of this wonderful site,a lot of 12 stepping happens right here every day."

And I agree. There is a lot of twelve stepping going on here on this site. However, I think it's a shame that modern technology has robbed a lot of people from living the opportunity to sit with a drunk in his home with his wife sobbing in the other room and sharing the miracle of the AA program with him. Some don't remember, some do, but the important thing is that the calls I made 20 years ago, I still remember. See, that's the paradox of this program. I don't know whether or not any of the people I've talked to in my years of being sober, are still sober, dead, drinking or whatever. I know I benefited from those experiences and that's How It Works! I didn't go on those calls at 3:00 a.m. for the particular benefit of the person I was visiting. I went so I'd stay sober. So far it's worked.
To sit in a dark smelly house with cigarette butts and empty bottles laying all over; to have the person stumble into the bathroom to puke; even to sit there while he passes out temporarily only to come to and ask who the hell are you, sticks in my mind and probably will for a long time to come. Those people have no idea how much good they did for me.
Sound selfish?? It is!! But you know what....it works. My motive for going was to give back what was so freely given to me but in the end, I'm the one who benefited.
(((((((Music)))))))))))) what a powerful share, thank you!

Yes, I remember vividly 12 stepping face to face, up close and personal. Those were the days my friend.

Today, we have so many avenues to reach out to a sick and suffering alcoholic, and I am truely grateful for each one of them. Because the truth is what you shared so beautifully....... we get to stay sober whether they do nor not.

Helz..... congrats to you for seeking answers, you just took me right back to a remember when for me. Thank you so much for that.

I thank each and everyone of you who take the time to give back, to keep this beautiful site going, and for allowing all of us to reach out to another alcoholic...... its one alcoholic helping another for sure.

I am grateful for any avenue that helps us to stay sober and help another alcoholic to achieve sobriety. And yes I hear you Music, those times of 12 stepping face to face, are etched in my heart, and mind.... like it was yesterday.

God Bless you ALL

With gratitude and love
Patsy

Love
Patsy