Notices

Speaking Tonight

Old 02-22-2010, 12:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Speaking Tonight

Well tonight is the night I speak for the big whopping second time. It always makes me nervous. I have to remember that this is service work. I do this to stay sober and if one thing I say helps someone so be it. ITS NOT A POPULARITY HOW MUCH YOU KNOW TEST OR CONTEST. But still it makes me kinda nervous. I have a yucky obsession of my mind even clean, heck especially clean I think even more cause I remember it. Ha. I think I might talk about the obsession of the mind tonight. I know pray before I start but to be honest, which usually gets me in trouble, it sure does give me one gigantic butterfly. Its my story. What do I care what they think anyway, Yeah, right. that's the logical part but my freaky minds plays that Carrie line THEIR ALL GONNA LAUGH AT YOU, THERE ALL GONNA LAUGH AT YOU. Any one remember that movie. Sigh.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

lol

I do for a fact. Doubt they'll laugh and please don't do to them like Carrie did unless, you share something funny with them
Old 02-22-2010, 12:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I spoke this past Fri. for a whopping 5 minutes in front of 100+ people, first time in a few years that I've done that. I swear I shook with nervousness the whole time, but afterwards a few people came up and thanked me so I guess I did OK.

I try to remind myself that I'm just a mouthpiece, God is speaking through me to carry the message.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Awakening...

LegalLady,
Have you heard of Toastmasters? They can help with fear of public speaking.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Last week I was reading your thread about tonight, b/c last Wed I spoke for the first time at the podium. It was for our Wed night speaker meeting and it was for the full hour. I got asked over a month prior, and it was one heck of a journey from that point on, from my initial terror once I said yes, inventorying my fears, a WHOLE lot of prayer and meditation, right up to the completely renewed terror the night of.

People told me to speak from the heart, but of course, I couldn't help myself but make a list of bullet points. In the end, I didn't look at it once until the very end, and at that point I knew I was done.

I don't remember much of what I said, I just started at the beginning and told what I knew and felt to be true (at least I think I did). A lot of people thanked me afterward and had some really nice things to say. I can't get in their hearts and know if or what I might have done for them, but I know how I felt, and it was powerful. I spontaneously told my sponsor afterwards (who wasn't there) that is was probably one of the greatest things I had ever done.

I would say good luck, but I don't think you'll need that. You'll just get up there, you'll be open and honest, and it will be great.

To be really cliched, if I can get to the other side of that, then anyone can.

(Right before, I kept thinking about "Boo this man!" from Half-Baked )
Old 02-22-2010, 02:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LegalLady View Post
it sure does give me one gigantic butterfly
Don't worry. That would just be me there 'in spirit'.

Originally Posted by LegalLady View Post
......but my freaky minds plays that Carrie line THEIR ALL GONNA LAUGH AT YOU, THERE ALL GONNA LAUGH AT YOU.

And that'll just be them laughing 'with' you.

They told me I'd be getting well when I could share my story and learn to laugh at what was happening in my life. I was able to finally do that.

And I could tell some of them out there listening were getting well, too....cause some of them were laughing at what was happening in my life, too.

You'll do fine, kiddo! I promise you will.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Try speaking in front of family.. Mom and sister attended the last time I did it a few weeks ago. Mom an AODA counselor for 20 years. Set way to high expectations on myself and that kinda ruined it, for me ..

LL if I could pass anything on.. leave any expectations at the door.