I have "The Sponsor's" version of that app

When it recognizes an incoming call from a sponsee it answers and says:

"Hey, what's going on?"

5 minute pause

"uh-huh....Have you prayed about it?"

30 second pause

"Uh huh, what's your part?"

3 minute pause

"OK, that's great, go to a meeting and work with a newcomer, call me tomorrow......OK....Bye"

Then it hangs up

Saves me all that tedious hands on sponsoring

I love that
Old 01-21-2010, 05:13 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Hugh

Firstly, well done. I found your post humbling to say the least - well done on putting up your hand and asking for help and following through with it! I think that's awesome and NOT easy.

Secondly, 19 years or not Jim can be very harsh although I am sure he means well. It's all very well for old timers to tell us to get over ourselves when we've always been on our own minds as long as we've lived - so, erm not exactly an easy task, but the steps help us!

I like to think that what happened to you was a God Shot. Go with it. It's totally normal to think ahead to your 5th step - that too will get sorted through your recovery but totally normal to jump ahead. I would actually discuss with this guy precisely what you've discussed with us...i.e. using the broad terms like industry etc and ask his advice. I'm almost certain that whatever you say will stay with him - that's what good sponsors do - and you sensed he was a good sponsor.

Have the discussion with him, keep an open mind and good luck with your recovery.

I also came in and out for almost 2 years and I'm just so bloody grateful that through God's grace I was able to come in, get a sponsor, work the steps and basically receive this wonderful life and set of 'life tools'

You can do it and I think it's wonderful that you've asked for help!

Well done Hugh's Dad!
Cathy31
x
Old 01-21-2010, 09:00 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hughs dad View Post
I have been in and out of the program for about 2 years. I have never gotten a sponsor and never worked the steps. Last night I went to a meeting and just came right out and said, I need help, I need a sponsor, I want to work the program, but I don't know how.... I got a list of people and everyone was great. I was impressed in paticular with one person. I called him today and he was very helpful. Very open to working with me, even asked I could go to a meeting with him tomorrow then meet with him afterward. All really great things!!

Here's the problem. I used to work in an industry where I was on top - made a lot of money, got a lot of attention, won trips, etc... My world crumbled when I lost that job and I had legal trouble due to the same job. This job is the source of a lot of my guilt, shame, overall bad feelings. It's a really big deal that I hope to move past once fully in recovery. I drink currently over this job!

Turns out that the guy I'm meeting with is in the same industry as I was, works at a company where I know many people well and they know me. Party of me says maybe god put him here to help and to go along with it. Another part says not to have him as my sponsor. ????? What do you guys think. If I really tell him about me and my history this story must be a part of it. My concern is he will think less of me once he knows what happened and he will tell people what happened who will tell people what happened... etc...

I'd love to get your opinion.

Thanks,

HD
My opinion is that as with our drinking, more people probably know your story than you're aware of anyway and if not, getting it out there is part of recovery, or part of you inability to recover. Stick with the guy and be honest. Sponsors are duty bound to keep a confidence. I've never worried about my sponsors and have never been let down. The important thing is sobriety and more important is dealing with what caused me to drink. From what you said, this problem is a source of your reasoning behind drinking. So, do you want to continue to drink....or not?