Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism-12 Step Support
Reload this Page >

Is there a difference between Alcoholics Anonymous and a 12 step program?

Notices

Old 01-17-2010, 07:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am wondering if there is a difference between AA and a 12 step program?
Old 01-17-2010, 09:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

AA is the original 12 step program and all other 12 step programs unrelated to alcoholism (Overeaters anonymous, gamblers anonymous, etc.) are all based on its 12 steps. It is very possible to be "in" AA without working the 12 steps but I do not recommend it.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

Only that all the others are imitating the twelve steps of AA.

AA was the first.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Nonexistent Willpower

Yes there is a difference.

In the 1930's these people found a 12-step "process" that worked wonders for alcoholics.
They wrote a book with these 12-Step instructions so anyone could follow the process and the message would not be diluted.
The first "Alcoholics Anonymous" the world knew of was a book called "Alcoholics Anonymous".
People read the book, followed the directions, recovered, and started meetings so they could share with others who had the same experience.
Today we have a fellowship of people who meet in many areas and we also call this fellowship "Alcoholics Anonymous." Anyone can go whether they have read the book and followed the directions or not.

But originally it was:
Steps/Book
Meetings

Today it's:
Meetings
Book/Steps

So what I'm getting at is these days most people start with meetings. And that's great to a point. But some people in the meetings aren't real alcoholics. So they don't feel like they need the book or the steps. And they don't. They can get sober and stay sober by sitting around the tables talking about anything under the sun. And that's fine for them. They just need each other. Human power works for them. The only requirement for the fellowship is a "desire" to stop drinking. So anyone can go. But then there's the real alcoholic who needs so much more than meetings. So be careful. These days we have some of people who know better than the book. Philosophers, Psychiatrists, Preachers, and such who try to speak for AA as a whole, but don't know what the hell they are even talking about. They just repeat all the silly sayings they've heard made up by the fellowship, many of which directly contradict what the book says. Like "Think through the drink.." and "Meeting makers make it.."...

Anyway, people found this 12-step process worked for other addictions/behaviors too. So they kinda re-wrote their own version of the AA book.
AA just happens to be the "Original Recipe".
There are over 200 12-step programs today. Like dgillz mentioned (AA, NA, OA, GA, CA, etc.)

Ok so you probably didn't ask for a tirade, and that's more than you wanted to know. But ya, it's all about the 12-steps, which came along before they even had a name for the book, and hence the meetings. I wish they would have named the book "A Dozen Steps" or something. But they never listen to me....
Old 01-18-2010, 05:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Only the first half of Step 1 mentions the word alcohol. There is no further mention of it in the other 11 and half steps.

So it is a simple case of substituting the word 'alcohol' with whatever substance/thing/relationship you are powerless over.

It still amazes me how the founders of AA and Bill were able to not only help fellow alcoholics to recover but to help people recover from all sorts of addictions. I wonder if it ever occurred to them at the time how the programme could be adapted........

Personally I believe that the 12 programme will work for any other problem providing you stick to the original in the Big Book. The answers are always in the BB.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Totally agree with Intention. Bill W was blessed with the inspiration of the 12 step program (I believe it is totally God given) It is not for us alcoholics alone. It's a spiritual solution that can be applied to any area of one's life. It's remarkable and God given and alcoholics don't have the only rights to it, we just got it first, probably because we were the most desperate case and if it worked for us, it could work for anyone!!

Cathy31
x
Old 01-18-2010, 05:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

But some people in the meetings aren't real alcoholics. So they don't feel like they need the book or the steps. And they don't. They can get sober and stay sober by sitting around the tables talking about anything under the sun. And that's fine for them. They just need each other. Human power works for them. The only requirement for the fellowship is a "desire" to stop drinking. So anyone can go. But then there's the real alcoholic who needs so much more than meetings. So be careful. These days we have some of people who know better than the book. Philosophers, Psychiatrists, Preachers, and such who try to speak for AA as a whole, but don't know what the hell they are even talking about. They just repeat all the silly sayings they've heard made up by the fellowship, many of which directly contradict what the book says. Like "Think through the drink.." and "Meeting makers make it.."...
id changed one word.."some" to "lots" in that first sentence.
that my experience anyhow.

the problem manifests itself when a real alcoholic walks into those meetings.
and the message they receive is the type you mentioned.
then they cant understand why all the group therapy and catches phrases do nothing to unravel the root of the problem.

further more they see others "lighting up"...because the alcohol was removed hence problem gone..
i come across newcomers of my type often.....dying in wishy washy AA.
like my sponsor come across me.

i dont talk of AA as a whole..........just my experience of my bit.
i only have experience of recovering from alcoholism using the 12 steps laid out in the book alcoholics anonymous.
i dont know sh@t about applying them to anything else.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey guys,
someone here is asking an honest question- let's save the "real" alcoholic debate for another thread please.

Ayers- The difference is only in the meetings- the fellowship is the meetings- the program is the 12 steps.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ayers1995 View Post
I'm goingto hazard guess here. You heard some famous person, known to be an alcohlic absuer, publicly proclaim they were involved in a " 12 step program" and wondered :"why they didn't say they were in AA? AA must different then? "

Saying they are in a '12 Step Program " is a common way for famous people to adhere to Tradition 11.

"Our public relations policy is based on attraction rather than promotion; we need always maintain personal anonymity at the level of press, radio, and films."
Old 01-18-2010, 08:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Ayers1995....
I took the time to read some of your previous posts.
Perhaps some of us are getting too technical

Are you asking about the difference between AA
and Al anon's 12 Steps?

Are you asking for yourself or for your friend who is
trying to help his wife?

I'm confused.....please do clarify. Thank you
Old 01-18-2010, 08:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Kinda like the difference between a rectangle and a square -- AA is a 12 Step program but not all 12 Step Programs are AA.

freya

P.S. AA is the original 12 Step program, so all others are based on that..and, as others have mentioned, the main difference from one 12 Step program to another is what one starts out being willing to admit powerlessness over in Step 1.

P.P.S. Although, as far as I can tell, through working the Steps one actually both realizes that one is actually truly powerless over most everything and one becomes willing and able to connect with a Higher Power, by Which one is "empowered" insofar as one is open to use that power in accordance with HP's will.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

If there is a foundation of truth, the 12 Steps, the Path to God, will work for anyone.

The fellowships necessarily won't.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:08 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ayers1995 View Post
Certainly!! AA is a 12 step program....only for alcoholics. Any other 12 step program is for other than alcoholics
Old 01-18-2010, 10:33 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Thanks Music....
that says it all......

This thread is closed.