Notices

Are You Still Amazed?

Old 12-27-2009, 04:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Nonexistent Willpower

Are You Still Amazed?

We all know about the 9th step promises. I call the below paragraph the 10th Step promises. In fact I find promises as a result of the actions suggested all throughout the book, for every step. Step 11 promises are neat too. I've learned the hard way that it's in my best interest to read the book very literally. "If I do this, then I will get that." I've got more than I even hoped for or imagined from this thing. It hasn't failed me. But exactly how and why does it work? I don't know.

I'm anxious to hear from those that have experienced the power of the 12-steps as I have. It still blows my mind that for the last 5 years I haven't even had to think about drinking, or drugging, for that matter. (It's all I could think about my first year sitting around the tables)

-Are you still amazed?
-Do you still have a deep passion for carrying the message to the alcoholic who still suffers because of the profound effect it had on you?
-Did you believe the words in bold were true before you took the steps?

Alcoholics Anonymous
p. 85:
"And we have ceased fighting anything or anyone - even alcohol. For by this time sanity will have returned. We will seldom be interested in liquor. If tempted, we recoil from it as from a hot flame. We react sanely and normally, and we will find that this has happened automatically. We will see that our new attitude toward liquor has been given us without any thought or effort on our part. It just comes! That is the miracle of it. We are not fighting it, neither are we avoiding temptation. We feel as though we had been placed in a position of neutrality - safe and protected. We have not even sworn off. Instead, the problem has been removed. It does not exist for us. We are neither cocky nor are we afraid. That is our experience."
Old 12-27-2009, 07:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

yes
Old 12-27-2009, 07:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

I can easily take other people's inventory and draw my own conclusion of how I am and how I used to be
Old 12-27-2009, 08:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Lightbulb

Where i am At Right Now.. i can Say For Certain that "I" am Not the Same person i was 3 Years Ago. i can Also Say For Certain i Still Have A Lot of work to do.. it is an Amazing thing for Sure!
Old 12-27-2009, 08:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am still amazed. The obsession was removed and over the years have never had the desire, let alone the obsession, to drink. i spent 5 years around the fellowship, in and out, until I took the steps and had the obsession removed. That was 24 years ago and I must say, it still amazes me.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

After my first few months sober my desire to drink was removed without any effort on my own part. But I became cocky and decided I could be around people and places that served alcohol and I eventually drank again. It's not that I even wanted to drink. It was just there and I did. and I kept drinking.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I actually gave a lot of thought to that last month before my 25th AA aniversary. It truly does amaze me that I've been able to stay sober for this long, and drinking has been a non-issue for most of that time. I've concluded that the only explanation is that the mental obsession that told me I had to drink every time I did not like the way I felt on the inside was removed. I truly believe that mental obsession was removed as a result of working the 12 steps and choosing to make them a way of life.