Notices

Chairing a Meeting

Old 12-28-2009, 03:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Chairing a Meeting

I am chairing a meeting tonight. I like to come up with good topics for the discussion. Anyone have any good ideas? Anyone had any topics lately that lead into good meetings?

If so reply to my thread.

The meeting starts at 7:30pm MST tonight.
Old 12-28-2009, 04:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I usually like to ask the other members to suggest a topic but it is always good to have a few in mind in case everyone draws a blank.

Personally I never get tired of hearing others talk about "Surrender" and what it means to them.
Old 12-28-2009, 04:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
I usually like to ask the other members to suggest a topic but it is always good to have a few in mind in case everyone draws a blank.

Personally I never get tired of hearing others talk about "Surrender" and what it means to them.
Thanks.
Old 12-28-2009, 04:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have my home group meeting tonight and I chaired it last Monday. In my group, the chair person must come with a prepared topic. We stick to topics in the 164 or traditions long form. Last week I chaired on the 1st Tradition or Unity.

If you go over to the 12 Step Support subforum, you'll see more A.A. stuff.

Welcome to S.R.!

Old 12-28-2009, 06:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Good to have you on SR David, it's always nice to see someone being of service in AA.

When I chair, my favorite topic is the 12th Step, carrying the message. But any Step or Tradition is always favorable. Enjoy, let us know what you choose and how the meeting goes.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

As this thread is clearly all AA.....
I moved it over here.

David...you are already at your meeting but....
I often use the last paragraph on page 43
in our BB as a topic.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Nonexistent Willpower

Good one Carol!

p. 43

"Many doctors and psychiatrists agree with our conclusions. One of these men, staff member of a world-renowned hospital, recently made this statement to some of us: "What you say about the general hopelessness of the average alcoholic's plight is, in my opinion, correct. As to two of you men, whose stories I have heard, there is no doubt in my mind that you were 100% hopeless, apart from divine help. Had you offered yourselves as patients at this hospital, I would not have taken you, if I had been able to avoid it. People like you are too heartbreaking. Though not a religious person, I have profound respect for the spiritual approach in such cases as yours. For most cases, there is virtually no other solution."

Once more: The alcoholic at certain times has no effective mental defense against the first drink. Except in a few rare cases, neither he nor any other human being can provide such a defense. His defense must come from a Higher Power."

BB-1st. Edition

Last edited by CarolD; 12-29-2009 at 04:04 AM. Reason: Added Source per SR guideline
Old 12-28-2009, 09:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

We had a weird topic tonight and it lead to what I think is a very good meeting. Daydreaming. A passage from the 11th Step was read, but the topic was more in line with staying focused and disciplined at times when we need to.

The chair person is a guy who is getting up in years and is finding that he doesn't have the brain capacity that he once did and the ability to multi-task like he used to. He's learned to rely more and more on intuition and inspiration. Examples would be driving down the road and being able to recall what happened the last 5 blocks and missing a turn, etc. Also things like paying attention and listening when others are talking, especially if they are talking about stuff that's not necessarily engaging to us. If you want to maintain and build on relationships, paying attention to this stuff can go a long way.

But discussion of intuition, inspiration, creativity, and just goofing off and engaging in fantasy got brought up.

I thought it was a good and fresh topic.

So David, I'm wondering where you go to meetings up there in Denver Colorado; Happy Way, Monday Night Group, York Street, D.A.A.T., Romper Room, Dragon's Den... aka Bill and Bob's Excellent Adventure, 321 Buckley, Vitality, EDIT, ARRID, Lilly Gulch, Puttin' Sober, Little Red House...?