Notices

how to handle a negative AA person

Old 10-28-2003, 11:16 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Extremity

It is important to remember that there are some in our ranks that have been diagnosed with "wet brain". The Big Book says something to the effect that we should do our best to forgive those whose minds have become "mush". Some of these people have been able to avoid a dual diagnosis, but may never again regain total cause and effect logic. I see these people and thank God that I found A.A. before I found that end and that this could be me at any time I choose to start drinking again. I have found for myself that only total honesty with these people can walk me through. Even when it means they may not like it or worse.
When they say "That's right or I'll kick your a##" remind them that if they did that their ride will disappear. (the beaten don't drive).
Remember these people as they appear in different forms among us.
"What God has brought you to- God will bring you through!"
In love and service
Blessed Be Well!
Old 11-04-2003, 07:54 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Paused

Hi Jesica...the journey and the search for serenity demands that we go inside...to the heart level...so often in recovery we can stay sober but be absolutely miserable...I've seen this in folks with 20 years of sobriety...and it's common in early recovery with most of us...it took me sometime in early recovery to finally figure out that it wasn't about the outside issues...it was about me...what was I doing to assure my long-term recovery...in other words I started looking at each interaction on the outside as simply the lesson to help me find my own answers inside...I started looking at the 12-steps--not as something needed to be done in early sobriey---but as my road map to recovery...it still is. There's an old saying, "if you want to go somewhere and don't know where you are going--any road will do." Even in recovery some of us haven't made up our minds about where we want to go--what destination we strive for...but if we know, without reservation, what destination we strive for...Recovery...then we learn to utilize the roadmap...will we ever get there?...who knows...but we can assess our progress by rechecking the map on a daily basis...dr dave