Notices

is AA still court ordered?

Old 04-23-2010, 11:10 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Well, you've got time to get to 20 meetings... do two a day and you'll have time to spare...

I'm serious.

Mark
Old 04-23-2010, 11:16 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

My work hours are noon to 10 pm, off on Sunday only. Makes most meetings difficult to attend, but I did manage to get those 14 or 15 on Sundays, sometimes doubling up. Almost lost job because I was late after attending noon meetings. My sponsor says a meeting is a meeting and he can't honestly sign off on a meeting that isn't a legit A.A. meeting. He's a stickler, but can't say I blame him ... his rigorous honesty is part of how he stays sober. Still, I'm left with this problem and a court (at least the clerk) that seems to have no understanding of the situation. Have you ever heard of this occurring before?

Another hurdle ... no car and very few meeting locations in this small town.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:20 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

"My sponsor says a meeting is a meeting and he can't honestly sign off on a meeting that isn't a legit A.A. meeting."

Then find another AA member or members willing to meet with you. A meeting is two or more alcoholics.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:23 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I agree, Alizerin, in principle, but the reality is, regardless of my opinion, that my sponsor isn't going to sign off the needed meetings as suggested. Theory is fine, but I really need practical solution from someone who's dealt with this. I don't even have a card to get signed now, and the court clerk says she can't replace it for me.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:31 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Do you have an attorney that you could pose this question to?

I would be as pro-active as I could. I am sure the attorney who is prosecuting your case might be able to help, if not even the judge may help.

It couldn't hurt to ask someone other or above the court clerk.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:33 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Make your own card.

When two or members of AA get together for the primary purpose of recovery... it's a meeting. Did you get some phone numbers... start dialing.

Turn this into a positive experience, you can... reach out, make it happen.

Mark
Old 04-23-2010, 11:35 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Yes, I can ask the prosecutor and the judge ... when I return to court, but I'm concerned it may be too late, then, and I may get sentenced to jail. Seems a bit extreme for a first-offense drunk in public.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:44 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

"but the reality is, regardless of my opinion, that my sponsor isn't going to sign off the needed meetings as suggested."

Anyone can sign it silly. It is a valid AA meeting as long as you make it SO.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:47 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Mark75, yes, I have their phone numbers. Small town and knew most of them before this happened. All have said the same thing ... do the best I can.

This is an odd situation. I'm 55 years old. This is first trouble I've had with any alcohol-related problem. The night I got charged for drunk in public, I was in front of my house ... very drunk ... after receiving word of my 33-year-old daughter being killed in a car accident by ... yeah, a drunk driver. Haven't had a drink since that night.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:50 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Jeez, seems you'd have been given a little leeway... So sorry for your loss...

Do the best you can, reach out, get some signatures, whatever...

I'm speechless.

Mark
Old 04-23-2010, 11:52 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

If you've been to the same meetings and EVERYONE has seen you go. If I was in the group, I'd be more than delighted to sign your replaced card. I see nothing wrong with that. As long as I've seen you have been around.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:53 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

You can always mail it to me.

<just kidding> :-)
Old 04-23-2010, 11:58 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Thanks for your kind words, Mark. I'm nearing speechlessness, too, after dealing with all this since it happened. I thought the judge was somewhat lacking in compassion, but one really can't argue with the judge and I really have no idea what was going on in his mind when he didn't simply make me pay a fine for the drunk in public. I'm not sure what he hopes will be gained by my attendance of these meetings. Of problems I have to deal with, drinking has never been one of them until a moment that night.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:18 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Alzerin, what replaced card? That's just it ... I can't get a replacement.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:21 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Call the prosectuor or judge before your court date.

WOW...I am so terribly sorry to hear of your loss, and the set of circumstances you are in right now.

There are no words....

((((Hugs))))
Old 04-23-2010, 12:23 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Try to list the meetings you attended, date, etc... Get someone, anyone, to sign off on it. It is an anonymous program. And unless it can be proved that you weren't there....

I think you are sweating it more than you should.

If you list the meetings you attended, and can do so with an clear conscious, all should be well.... really you'll be fine.

Mark
Old 04-23-2010, 12:32 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

If you list the meetings you attended, and can do so with an clear conscious, all should be well.... really you'll be fine.

Mark, I just got off the phone with the court clerk, again. She has a different opinion than you. She says the judge will not accept anything other than the original signatures on the original card, otherwise sentence will be imposed. Now she claims this is because others have "tried that ploy," and the judge just doesn't want to hear it. Looks like I'm in for a 30-day vacation at the local lockup.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:38 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

That's what the clerk says... If it's not a ploy, what's the problem, and what the F$CK is wrong with your sponsor... is he knows you were there, why can't he help you out and sign the freakin' thing.

You need to get a lawyer.

Mark
Old 04-23-2010, 12:39 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

Originally Posted by MrFields View Post

Mark, I just got off the phone with the court clerk, again. She has a different opinion than you. She says the judge will not accept anything other than the original signatures on the original card, otherwise sentence will be imposed. Now she claims this is because others have "tried that ploy," and the judge just doesn't want to hear it. Looks like I'm in for a 30-day vacation at the local lockup.
<Scoff> She's most likely an embittered clerk because she gets lied to everyday. Go to a meeting and find someone with a valid sign-up sheet. Someone there's got to know someone. Then make a copy. Bring it to court. Bring something, and bring your sponsor.

AND: If insurance allows get an addictions councelor. She will write you something up on letterhead that you have counceling. Bring that to court.

Can you call your lawyer?
Old 04-23-2010, 12:45 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Mark, my sponsor is a fanatical, by-the-book purist. I suppose it's one of those "Accept the things I cannot change" situations ... and so he tells me. He says I shouldn't have lost the card. I'll tell ya, I sure wish I hadn't.