Notices

Doing my step one.....

Old 02-27-2008, 06:53 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Unigirl,

As previously mentioned above, please do not drag your feet on this Step. Step One simply requires admission of your powerlessness in respect to beverage Alcohol and because of that powerlessness your life is no longer manageable; cause and effect. This is not nuclear physics, but rather what you have already stated in so many words in this thread. Either you grasp the simplicity of this Step in your life or you do not. If you are a drunk, drinking was running the show, not you and because drinking dictated your actions, you were not managing life well. Think of your life as a business and you are the Owner of this business. You have employees who do not follow your procedures to keep the business profitable and healthy. The employees are unmanageable and because of their actions you are powerless to stop the decline of your company, unless you fire their asses! I realize this is a silly example, but the same is true with Alcoholism. We must determine the problem first, Alcohol and what Alcohol does to our lives. The solution starts with this cold hard truth and the realization that by its action, Alcohol is destroying our health and happiness. Your acceptance of this Step is the foundation for your new life, without it you will have more of the discomfort that sparked your desire to change. Have a great day!
Old 02-27-2008, 10:22 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Please remember it is more than just asking and answering that you are powerless over alcohol and your life is unmanageable.

That is the 'admission' part of the step. There is also the "ACCEPTANCE" part of the step. Accepting to the very inner most core of my being that I was totally powerless over alcohol and that when I took just one drink, I could not predict how many more I would drink and my life became totally unmanageable. Acceptance is what built that step in CONCRETE for this alkie.

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Old 02-27-2008, 10:38 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

It's the fact that i have trouble with accepting i have a disease of the mind too- that when i want to drink, or my thoughts go a wondering down that path....it's my disease trying talking to me.
I believe its true for others and can see how it must be for me too - as i often swore off drink- but would always find a reason to again and conveniantly forget all the mess it caused. Sometimes i cannot even say say why i did- i just did.
I think it must be my pride- like the whole ego thing, me thinking "oh im not thaaat bad".

That sounds like the mental part of the disease to me. That sounds like the manifestation of the mental part of the disease to me too. Those are the kind of thoughts I would have.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:01 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Thanks all- i think you guys r right- im gonna call my sponser today and tel her i believe i have accepted i am powerless and my life is unmanagable (even now when i am not drinking- thats y i need this porgram - cos sometimes i juts feel like a dry drunk) - i know when i drink its 10 times worse- i will inevitably go back to daily drinking. I dont want that. I want the program in A.A. so i do believe i have acceted this and im ready. I believe this anaylising everything is healthy to an extent for me- but i also think there is only so much i can over again and again before it starts to have a negative affect on me. What i mean is i can readily admit to the first step and feel i have accepted it now, however if a thought comes in like...oooh what about the disease? You dont have a disease ..... i can latch onto that and start to give it power and then believe im not ready to move on - so basicslly i think these thoughts, which were indeed genuine to begin with, is now becoming the illness trying to get me to booze again if u c what i mean? Cos it's keeping me from moving forward. It's having a negative effect. Lol soz if im rambling, just need to write this to help clear my thoughts. Feel better for it!

So yeh- thanks for all your useful advice guys, i'm ready for step 2 i believe! I'll see what my sponser says, ill keep you posted!
Old 02-28-2008, 03:40 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Uni the program is a simple program, you sound a lot like me, always looking for the hidden message or the loop hole!!! My sponosr told me over and over again, "Stop reading inbetween the lines, only read the black parts!!! You are taking something that is very simple and making it complex!"

The steps became easier once I quit analyzing them and simply did them.