Newbie here

Old 07-11-2005, 07:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newbie here

Hi everyone. I'm an ACOA. My mom has been an alchoholic almost as long as I can remember. I am 27 years old. My mom abandoned me and my sister and two brothers when I was 8 and we were raised by our grandparents. They weren't substance abusers, but were not nice people either.

For most of my teenage and adult years I convinced myself I didn't care, none of it mattered. As I get older and I'm trying to make big positive changes in my life, I find that I am held back by my past. I'm surprised, but I guess it makes sense.

I've been reading the posts and I see so much that I relate to. I've lived all this time feeling very alone. I need to sort some of this out so I can move on with my life.

I love my mom, but I hate her for what she did to me. I don't know if I can ever find forgiveness in my heart.

I am also struggling with the active heroin addiction of my best friend. At least we've been friends for the last 14 years, but I'm pretty sure we're not anymore. I don't know, I haven't really been able to put the whole situation in perspective yet.

Anyway, I just wanted to say hi. I'll probably be hanging around here from now on, pouring my heart and doing some much-needed soul-searching.
Old 07-11-2005, 08:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to ACoA Bers!

Have you tried to locate a support group in your area? It sounds as if you have much to give, sharing your expereince with the rest of us.

I wish you well on your journey to find inner peace. It's the best place to be once you get there. The road will be filled with more pain, sorrow, realization, self inventory, and I won't promise you that it's going to be an easy road. It is going to be the biggest challenge of your life...but I can tell you that anything worth fighting for is worth the struggle and you're fighting for your life, yourself. I believe it's worth it.

We will be here to cheer you on, join in on your triumphs and listen to your needs and desires in life.

The only thing holding you back is the "first step". That first step is always the hardest to take.

Once again, Welcome to ACoA's forum.

Kat-
Old 07-11-2005, 08:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Bers-

In one post you state that you're 25 years, in this post you state that you're 27. Are you 25 or 27 years of age? Not that it matters, I was just trying to figure out if in the post where you stated that you were 25, you were going back in time relating your history at a certain age?

Kat-