Back Home - wrapping things up

Old 08-16-2016, 03:24 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ajarlson View Post
Ahhh sorry to hear that Seasaw.
Interestingly enough, part of the peace I have started to find is in the realization that the only thing that has changed in my life (besides having to get through probate) is not having to wonder when it will happen. It's happened. It's done.
Sounds callous perhaps, but she was slowly killing herself and the anxiety of wondering when I would get that phone call is now in the past and I can move on from here. The "how" is weird and that will take a while to resolve as they work the case but the "when" is done now.
Wow. So much of this is familiar -- the "everyone thought [s]he was great, but being their kid was awful" aspect, the rage/control/alcoholism, expectation that we'd rush home to take care of them... and just wishing it would all be over. When my parents died, I felt only relief. And before my Dad went, I remember musing about what it might take to generate some kind of wireless signal to make his pacemaker go haywire... not that I would do any such thing, but the thought did occur.

And of course, not having any support or understanding from the extended family -- that sucks eggs, too. They all see the outside, and when you try to tell them about the inside, they say, "Oh, you can't take that personally -- that's just how they were." Good luck.

T
Old 08-16-2016, 11:11 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Wow that's exactly right tromboneliness. I drove home in a rage last night thinking of a very long letter I was going to send my brother just to let him know he had it a lot better than I did his whole life and that she treated him WORLDS better than she treated me. My family (kids, fiance, close friends) reminded me that he cannot see it, no matter what I say or do and it's better to just let go. It is, but it's also frustrating. I have my next counseling session subject matter all ready to go LOL
Old 08-16-2016, 03:21 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Wow that's exactly right tromboneliness. I drove home in a rage last night thinking of a very long letter I was going to send my brother just to let him know he had it a lot better than I did his whole life and that she treated him WORLDS better than she treated me. My family (kids, fiance, close friends) reminded me that he cannot see it, no matter what I say or do and it's better to just let go. It is, but it's also frustrating. I have my next counseling session subject matter all ready to go LOL
It might be that writing the letter would help you -- as long as you don't send it. Bring it to your therapist or sponsor for discussion fodder. Actually sending it to the bro, however, merely "wastes time and annoys the pig," as we say around here (that's the second half of a joke that says, "Never try to teach a pig to sing..."). He won't get it, and will just turn around and show it to relatives as "evidence" that you're the crazy one, or whatever. No good will come of it. But as a writing exercise for yourself, that's different -- it might be worth a try.

T
Old 08-16-2016, 04:27 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thanks, I might. I also might have to up the counseling to once a week for a while LOL
Old 08-25-2016, 09:20 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Thanks. Her shadow was large and it's strange to have it gone but in a strange way it's allowing me to finally think of myself as my own person as it were and not someone I wish I was. My counselor is working on this with me but every time someone reiterates it, I think I hear it a little more. So thank you all

Wow, I've read all of your posts several times, and what I have seen in all of them is someone who knows herself and is much stronger than I think she realizes, your a survivor, and once you get through this stuff and go through all of this pain you are going to come out on top and be so strong for all of this.

I can't even imagine how hard this time must be for you, I hope you keep talking and sharing here, your in a great group. You will get through this and you'll be okay...........
Old 08-26-2016, 10:21 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I think it's something we all share in this group. We have to look out for ourselves, and sometimes others, because no one is going to do it for us. I creates a strong person, but one who doesn't know how strong they are I guess. Counseling is really helping getting through this and out the other side and I am starting to navigate the emotions a little better. My counselor is helping me realize that I am a valuable person, that I deserve good things, and shouldn't feel guilty about accepting the good that comes to me. The first thought that comes into my head when I hear that is "how selfish" but I know that is the ACoA tape in my head that I am trying to write over. Every time I hear it now, I consciously tell myself that it is not selfish to be happy. Thanks so much to everyone in this group.
Old 08-27-2016, 06:09 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hope you are doing ok just being you, Ajarlson!