My wife is a ACOA. HELP!!

Old 09-07-2004, 07:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
robb_76

My wife is a ACOA. HELP!!

I've been married to her for 14yrs now and our relationship just keeps getting worse. She is very angry most of the time, blames me for most everything wrong in her life. She has no friends and her family is no help and possibly worse than her. I have gone to a counselor and discussed her alcholic father and the issuses it brings. She will not go to counseling because "I have already turned them to my side".

Things are so bad my stomach hurts when I have to deal with her. I don't want to abandon her but I'm very un-happy (selfish?). She doesn't think she has a problem. Everyone is just out to get her.

Thanks, Robb

Old 09-07-2004, 08:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Robb,
There really isn't anything you can do about her ACOA issues. She is the one that needs to seek help for them, and it sounds like she is in denial. ACOA meetings might help you understand what she's dealing with, or not dealing with. Meanwhile, stick around here and vent whenever you need to.
Glad you found us.
Gabe
Old 09-07-2004, 11:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
robb_76

Originally Posted by Gabe
Hey Robb,
There really isn't anything you can do about her ACOA issues. She is the one that needs to seek help for them, and it sounds like she is in denial. ACOA meetings might help you understand what she's dealing with, or not dealing with. Meanwhile, stick around here and vent whenever you need to.
Glad you found us.
Gabe
I think she IS in denial.

After reading many of the posts and info here I finally see what I am up against. She has so many of the behaviors, I never realized that it was from her father's alchoholism. Especially the drama and turmoil.

She tells me that I am selfish for having fun (guilt trips), but really it's her in-ability to have fun that's the problem. :smileeek: