What will happen to my father?

Old 09-07-2004, 01:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What will happen to my father?

Hello - I'm new here. My father is an alcoholic. He visited me this weekend and he sat on the couch and drank for 2 days straight. In a period of 36 hours, he drank 1 liter of bourbon and at least a 6 pack if not more. He started his daily drinking at 9:30 AM. He is 58 and can hardly walk. He drags his feet, walks crooked, has a swollen face, can't remember important conversations, and he is verbally and emotionally abusive to my mother. This man used to be a marathon runner. It's so sad what's happened over the years. He still works, but at this rate, he's bound to screw up at work and lose his business. He works for himself, so I know he drinks during the day at work - maybe not as much as the weekends, but I know he drinks 2 very strong liquor drinks everyday at lunch plus he starts his nightly drinking at 4 or 5. I hate seeing what he's doing to my mother. He's so helpless. He falls in their house, he's fallen in public. He shakes all the time. I know he will never stop. He stopped once and once he started back, he said he's never go through quitting again. What will happen to him physically? Any honest opinions will be appreciated!!!! Thanks so much.
Old 09-07-2004, 02:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey E....

A warm welcome to SR...

Honestly.... I think your Dad is in a bad way...
If he is drinking that much every day... then I'd say his body is going to succumb very quickly. Either that or he'll develope wet brain... which is a booze related illness... and is debilitating.

I know how hard it is to stand by and watch someone pretty much throw their life away... and try to take your mother with him no doubt... but... he is the grip of his disease...

You and your mother might want to check out Alanon if your not familiar with it... it gives one tools to help detach from tyhe alkie's self abuse and possible attempted control by your mother and yourself...

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...splay.php?f=24
Old 09-07-2004, 03:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks

Thank you bikewench! I think he is going downhill quickly too - I just wanted to hear it from someone who can relate. Thanks so much
Old 09-07-2004, 03:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah... ;o)

I can relate for sure cause my Dad was a violent drunk for many years. He was lucky though ...cause the booze didn't kill him before he finally just got too old to drink... his body simply won't let him . He's 73 now... and a bit old before his time... but he's trying to take care of himself now... thank the Creator...

It's too bad that your Dad never learned anything from his last dry out. I guess it was so horrific to him that he'd rather let his disease claim his life...

But.. that's a choice we each get to make...