Surprise visit from my mom. GAHHHH!!

Old 03-07-2012, 04:19 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Plath, keep up the good work. You are getting better and it shows in your posts. One thing that has been really helping me is meditating. Before bed each night I spend 10 to 20 minutes sitting quietly and counting my breaths, actually I am getting to the point I can just watch my breaths rather than counting. If my mind wanders it's no big deal and I simply bring my attention back to my breathing. This exercise has been a huge help in turning down the volume of the chatter in my head and just feeling better being me.

Your friend,
Old 03-07-2012, 07:42 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thanks, Mike.

I have tried a bit of meditation here and there, and once in a while I am able to quiet my mind. Usually though, I end up turning my thoughts to fearful, angry, or shaming things. I guess it takes a good long while to deprogram all of those thought patterns.

I will give that a try today while my son takes a nap...and maybe listen to some mantras, as that is usually helpful to me as well. I definitely need something like that, as I've noticed that when I am around my mom it takes about a full week for me to recuperate mentally, emotionally, and spiritually from my interaction with her.

I think I'll take some time today to write down some specific ways that I've been triggered by my mom and MIL lately (they seem to be the two main people in my life who noticeably set off my triggers), how I react, and how I would like to react (or not) in the future.

Thank you all for the encouragement, it means a lot to me.