Broken Promises

Old 09-06-2010, 09:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Broken Promises

I suppose this must be typical of alcoholic parents. I don't know why I'm surprised anymore. Maybe because my mother was always pointing out other family's faults to me and telling me what a great family we were, and what great parents they were.

My parents have repeatedly made promises and more often than not, broken them. The latest is they promised to pay for the private school my daughter wanted to go to, if she kept her grades up. My understanding was that it was a year by year thing, that each year depended on her having good grades the previous year. She went for 3 quarters, at which point we pulled her out because she wasn't keeping her grades up. There was no point spending my parents' money when it was obvious it wasn't going to get better. When my husband asked for the money for the third quarter, my mother informed him DD didn't keep up her end of the bargain, so they're not paying for that quarter! Fine, but when did they decide this? Why didn't they tell us at the end of the second quarter? Part of what's frustrating is we also now know that she was suffering from severe anemia, which may have played a huge part in the grades, since she couldn't think straight.

This one is costing us nearly $2,000.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Chaos. Chaotic.
Decisions by random chance.
Crazy Making. Sucks.

(a Haiku in support of your situation)
Old 09-08-2010, 10:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

When life really stinks
Write yourself a great haiku
And make yourself laugh!

Old 09-09-2010, 06:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Mee

they like to think it's everyone else that's crazy not them!

sorry about the extra stress this is causing you.

there's no point trying to make any sense out of the situation! there's none to be found.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Glad I could make you smile, Rose. Sometimes a smile is all it takes to drag us out of the funk we're in
Old 09-11-2010, 10:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I thought it was just me & my parents! My parents make promises (and sometimes even dangle goodies in front of me, my family). . .and most of those promises get broken (or the terms change) from small things to big things. Your post is really pushing my buttons. I just want to break down & cry right now

EveningRose, I feel you! I pray that I don't do that to my child and to people in my life! Time for the serenity prayer big time!
Old 09-29-2010, 11:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
EntertheSticks

You should never set yourself up to believe what an addict says. we always tell ourselves they are going to change, but until we see it, we should never set ourselves up for the inevitable disappointment.