My Mother...

Old 05-27-2010, 09:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question My Mother...

My mother is an alcoholic, I'm at my witt's end with what to do. She just recently became homeless and I can't take her in. She has no health insurance so how can I get her into rehab? I know there are state issued rehabs, but she is also at the point where without alcohol in her system, she does NOT know how to function!! By that, I mean she does not know how to walk, talk, go to the bathroom, ANYTHING by herself... So where do I go from here? What can I do...? I was thinking assisted living, but even with that you need insurance right?? I am really just looking for anything or anyone to help me out here... please...

Sincerely,
Liz.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello Liz, and welcome to SoberRecovery

I'm so sorry to hear about your Mom, that must be so difficult for you to deal with.

There are several things you can to help your Mom, but it's going to take some research on your part. Start by going thru the "sticky" posts in our forum "next door"

Friends and Family of Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

The first thing a rehab will do is called "detox", where they carefuly wean them off alcohol to prevent medical damage. Then they begin the proces of getting their minds working again so they _can_ function again.

The "keyword" you are looking for is "Intervention", but in reality it is much different from the TV show. You need to meet with the social workers at the Salvation Army or Catholic Charities to figure out exactly what needs to be done. You also need to meet with a lawyer to figure out if and how to declare your Mother incompetent, and therefore subject to _your_ control and involuntary confinement to a rehab.

It gets complicated in that some states and countries don't allow incompetence as a result of drinking. Others will remove the constraints as soon as they sober up, which means they walk out of the rehab in just a few days.

It can be done, but it takes a lot of work and a lot of planning to cover all the angles. Alcoholics are _very_ slippery folk, and they have a million ways to wiggle out. Which is why you need to get professionals involved every step of the way. Thousands of people sober up every day and return to a healthy, normal life. The majority of them thru free services like the above charities and Alcholics Anonymous.

As you do your research you'll have lots of questions, so just feel free to post them here on SR. That's what we're here for.

Welcome again.

Mike
Old 05-28-2010, 02:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Liz,

Thank you for posting your story. I will say a prayer for you and your mother. Miracles DO happen. I am a walking miracle myself so I speak from experience.

"DesertEyes" posted some excellent suggestions above. Bravo! Sounds like he's done some homework on the subject.

Please pray with me, Liz. And, everyone who reads this. The more people who pray together has the power to move mountains. My heart goes out to any alcoholic who has a loving child caring for them.

Please keep us posted. God bless you, Liz.