ACOA Book Club

Old 08-10-2005, 11:22 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

No one mentioned this one....

I have another great book to add to the list:

People of The Lie by M. Scott Peck

Seeing people post about his other book, The Road Less Traveled reminded me about it. It isn't about ACOA's in particular, but more about people dealing with "evil" people. He claims "evil" is not just a religious term, but a psychological one as well. It really helped me tremendously to understand why my mother is the way she is. Before reading it, I honestly felt like I was the only one in the world with a mother like mine - particularly since I was able to shock even my therapist, who at the time had been practicing for 20 years when I was seeing him. He slapped his hand over his forehead and said "My God - why aren't you schitzophrenic, or at least bi-polar ??"

Anyway, I digress....this is truly a great book and I definitely recommend it for anyone who comes from a dysfunctional family (and obviously that's all of us !)
Old 03-02-2006, 11:48 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
In Recovery

I love the Melody Beattie book, "Finding Your Way Home." It's pretty intense, so I read it when I need a pick-up from the day-to-day difficulties of life. This one is good for people who have completed some inner child work, and healing from the past, and are ready to reclaim life in the present.

"Did you wake up today? Then it's not too late." -Maya Angelou
Old 03-02-2006, 10:24 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

it was suggested to me to start my journey of recovery with conference approved literature. i didnt think it was important then but now i do for to really grasp the phenomenal changes that recovery offers and brings it was important to get recovery speak into me in both meetings and the literature i was consuming. after about 6 months it was suggested i could read other literature too but in recovery meeting i keep the focus on Conference approved literature (CAL). this greatly helped me in understanding and in progress.

non-cal books ive foudn greatly helpful are the pleasure zone (forget author)and healing the shame that binds you by john bradshaw. his work i found extra helpful as he takes it frmo a 12 step perspective. above all i found by taking the courage to be someone who stands in the self-help section of the library or local bookstore allowed me to browse and read some very helpful books to assist me on this journey called life.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:51 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I am currently reading or have read a lot of the above. The Melody Beattie books on co-dependency, especially the daily readings book "The Language of Letting Go" have been a life saver for me. Also reading "Dark Nights of the Soul" by Thomas Moore. He talks about dark nights (difficult, painful times) as a necessary part of life, and that they are, or can be, transformative, and opportunity and a passage on the way to becoming someone new.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:13 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

particularly since I was able to shock even my therapist, who at the time had been practicing for 20 years
Glad to see I'm not the only one. Mine just dropped his jaw for a few seconds before regaining composure.
Old 01-07-2007, 04:45 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

My Mama's Waltz by Eleanor (?) and Sharon Robideux

A wonderful book for Daughters of Alcoholic Mothers
Old 01-14-2007, 06:25 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Codependent No More and Beyond Copendency both by Melodie Beattie are awesome. I loved them both!