ACOA Book Club

Old 05-08-2003, 05:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

ACOA Book Club

I am so new to all of this I would love some suggested reading.

Hugs,
JT
Old 05-10-2003, 07:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

"The Adult Children of Alcoholics Syndrome"

____Wayne Kritsberg.
Old 05-10-2003, 07:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

Thanks Peter,

I will be heading to the bookstore!

Hugs,
JT
Old 05-10-2003, 08:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I liked the book because it was written in a simple and easy format that I could follow.

There are no existing AcOa meetings here that I know of so I acquired the book several years ago in order to take a look at that particular area of my life.

My first look into the book was a very painful experience for me and I sat on the edge of my bed for an hour and cried.

I called my sponsor the following morning and he suggested to me that AcOa's who themselves have a drinking problem need to get some good recovery going for their alcoholism before they can even begin to take a look at this very painful area of their lives.

I took his suggestion seriously and it is only recently that I have started taking little peeks into the book again.

There was a lot of shame,guilt abandonment and abuse in my family and I believe I like a many other AcOa's may have PTSD.

The emotional scars of abandonment and abuse can have serious life damaging consequences.

AcOa is still not an easy thing for me to look at and even now there is a lump in my throat but little by little I am coming to the point where I can start saying "I understand now", instead of..."it's OK peter..." because it never was and it never will be until I learn to deal with it....

Peter.
Old 05-10-2003, 08:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

Peter,

I too have enough recovery that I think I can take a peek down this road. I have enough recovery to know that my parents did the best they knew at the time...at least I know that in my head. I am not so sure about my heart. Time will tell.

I think you sponsor was very wise.

Hugs,
JT
Old 08-01-2003, 10:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Paused

Smile Just thought I would Share

Not only do I deal with the daily stress of trying to stay clean, I deal with my past. I read Claudia Black's book It's Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood, Inspirations for Adult Children. I read this book almost daily.. For those that have to deal with this,, I thought I would share that this book is great,. it gives you that little boost that you need.
Just thought I would share will all of you:
Old 08-02-2003, 05:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Paused

Hey thanks!

I'll look into getting that. I could use a boost. All I am reading right now are Sales books. I just started training in furniture sales. My brain is about fried.

Hope to talk more to you soon!

Love ya,
--Ă…ngel
Old 08-07-2003, 02:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Paused

books,

i just finished perfect daugthers, i thought it was excellent. i really felt powerful, have so many tabs & stickys to quick reference back to in it as well.
Old 05-01-2004, 06:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
believer

Re: ACOA Book Club

Ok, I have another book to add: Homecoming: Reclaiming and Championing Your Inner Child, by John Bradshaw.

Now, some of you may be wary of the "inner child" stuff, and I've only just begun reading the book. But so much of it is already hitting home for me. It was recommended to me by my new therapist and focuses on uncovering our original pain and grieving for our wounded inner child at different developmental stages in our life, from infancy to adolescence. For some of you who feel stuck, this may help. At least, that's what I'm hoping.

It consists of writing assignments and meditations. It's not a book to read, it's a book to do, and the author recommends doing the work with a sponsor, support group, or therapist, although it can be done by yourself.

I'll be starting on my infancy stuff in the next day or so. I'll let you know how it goes...
Old 05-01-2004, 07:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

Re: ACOA Book Club

Hi all,
I found a book today at the half-price book store. It's called Recovery: A guide for Adult Children of Alcoholic, by Herbert Gravitz, and Julie D. Bowden.
It's an older book, originally written in 1987, but chocked full of info for me, cause I'm just new to this concept that I'm not "normal" LOL

It's a question and answer kind of working on you as you go through the book. I'm only half finished, but it's holding MY interest. (which says a lot these days.)
Old 08-19-2004, 07:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Paused

Hi , my name is april.. I am new to this site and just ordered that book, Perfect Daughters. I am so anxious for it to arrive .I can not wait to read it.I also am waititng for Struggle for Intimacy.

Last edited by cravenapril; 08-19-2004 at 07:42 AM. Reason: title of book
Old 08-21-2004, 07:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

If anyone is still looking for books...

Hi All,
Here are the books that I have read/am reading: I recenlty read Adult Children Of Alcoholics by Janet G. Woititz and am getting ready to read another of her books Lifeskills for Adult Children. The first was really good, it gives basic information and insights into why we are the way we are and do the things we do. The second is more of a working book. It gives you little assignments to do. Both are easy reading. Hope this helps anyone who is looking for it.
Old 08-23-2004, 05:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

After reading a few ACOA specific books, Emotional Healing: A Program for Emotional Sobriety by Karen Paine-Gernee and Terry Hunt has been the most useful so far. The authors do a great job of explaining the world of a ACOA (pre and post childhood) and most importantly steps towards emotional recovery.
Old 11-06-2004, 06:13 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Barn Goddess

Old 11-08-2004, 06:55 PM
                  # 15 (permalink)  

Toxic Parents - Overcoming Their Hurtful Legacy and Reclaiming Your Life -- Susan Forward, PhD

Leaving the Enchanted Forest - The Path from Relationship Addictio to Intimacy -- Stephanie Covington & Liana Beckett

Women, Sex and Addiction -- Charlotte Davis Kasl

I've looked at several books and these are some of my absolute faves that aren't already listed.
                Old 12-14-2004, 06:42 PM
                  # 16 (permalink)  
                Cruelty-Free

Here are two that can be picked up (or ordered) at most Al-Anon meetings, as they are put out by Al-Anon Family Groups:

From Survival to Recovery: Growing Up in an Alcoholic Home--this is the text used at an Al-Anon Adult Child Focus meeting I used to attend. Pretty powerful stuff for people like me.

Hope For Today--Al-Anon's newest daily reader, originally intended specifically for adult children. It ended up being very accessible to non-ACOAs as well, and it certainly hits many of the core issues straight on.
                Old 07-27-2005, 04:56 AM
                  # 17 (permalink)  
                To Life!

Alcoholism: A Family Matter. Health Communications Inc.
                Of Course You're Angry: A Family Guide to Dealing With the Emotions of Chemical Depedence. Gayle Rosellini and Mark Worden.

Shalom!
                Old 07-28-2005, 07:23 PM
                  # 18 (permalink)  
                and that is all that matters..

"Healing Your Aloneness - Finding Love and Wholeness Through Your Inner Child" By Erika J. Chopich and Margaret Paul. I really think it is helping. I like the stuff from John Bradshaw as well, but this book seems to really be a good fit. I have another from the Author - "Inner Bonding". I am reading that one next. It takes awhile for me to read a book as I spend a lot of time rereading, underlining, and writing in the margins. I recommend this book to anyone who continually tells themselves negative messages.
                Old 07-28-2005, 08:40 PM
                  # 19 (permalink)  

wow - i have a lot of books to read it seems. thanks to all who posted this great info! that abandonment issue is following me into my life right now with AH!
                Old 07-29-2005, 07:08 AM
                  # 20 (permalink)  

I've been reading the Gravitz and Bowden book Recovery mentioned above, and find it useful as a brief accessible and on-target refresher of the basic core issues and dynamics that feel normal to me/us and not so much to folks raised in more open and functional families.

My therapist recommended and I began reading a different book - not specifically ACOA but very helpful - called The Power of Now, by Eckhart (Eckart?) Tolle. It's helping me, even after only a chapter or two, to reduce my tendency to overthink life and to 'overidentify' with my mind at the expense of other ways of being. There's a workbook companion out there also but I havent' received it yet...