The shoes of life :0)

Old 03-02-2007, 04:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The shoes of life :0)

Went to my first ACoA meeting Wednesday night...and it was WONDERFUL. Best meeting I have been to yet. I think I would like to make it my "home" meeting. Anyway, just wanted to share something funny that I heard....

A woman there was just talking about how she had a bad day...a "victim" day. She wanted everyone in her life to know just how bad things were going for her. I just loved how she related it to us. She was saying how when she forgets how to deal with life from a "recovery" standpoint, she can so easily just slip into her *victims slippers*. They fit so well because she has worn them for so long, and how comfortable it is to sit around with her *victim slippers* on and mope around all day. And then she compared her recovery to her *orthotic shoes*. She really needs to be wearing her *orthotic shoes* for her recovery, but sometimes it's just uncomfortable to wear them, because she isn't used to how it feels. I thought that was the greatest metaphor for the ways that we battle with how to deal with our own lives, and how it's OUR decision which shoes we wear...our *victim slippers* or our *recovery orthotics*..... Enjoy!!!
Old 03-02-2007, 05:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

G'morning

Very cool analogy!!!!!!

Laurie
Old 03-02-2007, 05:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi AHIMSA! Really liked that story! I'll think about it when I wear my Healer Shoes (cheap version of the Masai shoes) - they make me feel good and I bounce along through my day. Thanks!
Old 03-02-2007, 07:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Power is not having to respond

OMG, I wore those ugly orthodic shoes as a child!! Who would ever think I would need them 40 years later.
Good post, thanks!
Old 03-08-2007, 02:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
In Recovery

That's going on my inspirations page!!