Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse
Reload this Page >

is it possible to use cocaine or crack or any drug and NOT become addicted?

Notices

is it possible to use cocaine or crack or any drug and NOT become addicted?

Old 12-09-2006, 04:45 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

I'm sorry you got jumped on The King. I read your post a day or so ago and kind of thought that it was something like that why you were asking, but I wasn't sure so I didn't post.
I hope you got some answers to your questions as there were some good responses to your questions.
I hope you continue to post here at SR and get your feelings about your Dad resolved.
You may want to try posting in the forum, Friends and Family members of Substance Abusers. They tend to not jump down people's throats but ask questions first. Good Luck to you~

Old 12-10-2006, 05:30 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

was put on klonopin and got hooked mega fast ..........that turned into a year and a half withdrawal nightmare.
Old 12-10-2006, 05:56 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Time2Surrender View Post
Oh I read the question. Just dont know WHY you would come here asking a question like that.

why does anyone ask questions? answer that and there in lies the answer as to why I asked this question
Old 12-10-2006, 06:08 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

Two types of cokeheads

1)window watcher - cokehead who constantly looks out the window for people who aren't there

2)floor watcher - cokehead who constantly looks at the floor for the last tiny rock of coke that isn't there
Old 12-11-2006, 02:08 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

lol, windy, i remember my ex tearing out the entire dash of our truck "knowing" he had dropped something back there.
*shudders*
grateful to be clean
mis
Old 12-11-2006, 06:55 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I think some drugs are alot eaier to get hooked on. I also think that cocaine could be one of those gateway drugs. I did pot didnt get addicted, so I can do coke and not get addict, well the coke didnt bother me so I can smoke crack, and they cylce continues until one of the drugs you thought you couldnt get addicted to now have such a hold on you its impossible to stop. I think meth, heroin and crack and opiates are the drugs that seem to grab a hold of you on the first try. I think they are the worst but we all know they are bad. Some people do come over here from the friends and family forums to get answers to questions that they just cant understand because they are not addicts. There are alot of great people on this site. Some have knowledge that others do not so we all try to help each other. I can tell you in my experience I am affraid to try any street drugs cause addiction runs rampid in my family. I know I have that addictive gene. I know that if I really like the way one makes me feel it will control my whole life. Thats what my life was once I had my very first pain pill. I dont know if I was hooked after the first one, but I liked how they made me feel so I didnt stop either. Next thing you know I'm addicted the whole thing I have tried to fight my whole life. I had no idea how powerful these pills were all I wanted was some pain relief not a addiction. I also wonder if I was told how addictive these pills were if I would ever gotten that first script filled. I have a very addictive personality. I guess I got that gene! So can you get addicted the first time I dont know, but I know if you like the high you will try it again and again and again. So yes that first time could lead you right to addiction which sucks! KJ
Old 12-11-2006, 08:14 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

EXACTLY! addiction is so sneaky....i don't think there is one single person anywhere who thought "hey, i wanna be an addict and lose everything/everyone i own/know, let me do a,b,c drug"
once you know you're addicted, it's too late
how i wish i could go back and never have taken a pain pill
well, but of course, it was alcohol before that. some of us, i think, are just addictive people....i know i sure am
Old 12-11-2006, 09:08 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Goin'....Goin'....Gone!

Originally Posted by THE KING View Post
now let me clarify I have never tried this and I dont intend to, but I do wonder if it is possible to use a drug for example cocanie (sp) say once a month and NOT become addicted, is this possible cause all I ever hear about are the people who do become addicted but is there anyone out there that does not get addicted
Addiction after trying it once? Addiction doing it once a month? (not sure)

I did read somewhere that it is possible to die after only trying it once.
Not sure the truth behind that but I did read that is has happened more than once.
If someone can die of a heart attack even the first time they try it...why would you chance that? (no disrespect ment to you )

I also read somewhere that cocaine scars your heart every time you do it... not sure if that is true either but as I said I read that somewhere as well when I was looking for cocaine info when I was with my ex BF.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:18 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Goin'....Goin'....Gone!

Originally Posted by LIL_Pebbles View Post
Before I was a addict, I would see my sisters smoke and look at the floor for any crumbs that may have been droped, so one day I took a bag a fresh cat litter and through it all over my mom's carpet

ROFLMAO.....sorry but that was too funny.... had to laugh out loud.
must have been hilarious to watch.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:32 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Goin'....Goin'....Gone!

Originally Posted by mikiglen View Post
lol, windy, i remember my ex tearing out the entire dash of our truck "knowing" he had dropped something back there.
*shudders*
grateful to be clean
mis

OMG ....
I did that last week Misti....for real.
I was down to a few pills and had them all counted out down to the
day of my refill (a few days before joining this site as a matter of fact).

I was driving on the highway... home from my evening side job and was in process of taking my 7pm pill and I hit a bump in the road...pill fell down inside the plastic cover that's around my "E" brake next to the auto shifter.
I go home and used a flashlight looking...hoping it did not fall all the way through to the ground. I saw it just sitting there ontop of some metal indent thing under a wiring harness.... there it was just sitting there not going anywhere.....tiny,yellow and see-able but just unreachable.

I should have just said "oh well" and not bothered as any normal person would have probably done but... it would have drove me absolutely crazy knowing there was a pill inside there.... I would have thought about it everyday and drove myself insane. ( so I had to get it out for my mental health )

The next day... I tore apart the plastic center console and lifted the rug underneath up a little but still could not get at it.... had to rip the rug back even more and use "needle nose plyers" to grab it. I GOT IT OUT THOUGH !!!
Put my car back together.... that was the day I told myself I had a slight problem with taking my medication.
Now I am here with all my new friends and not so alone!
LOVE YOU GUYS
Old 12-14-2006, 11:33 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

...I do wonder if it is possible to use a drug for example cocanie (sp) say once a month and NOT become addicted, is this possible cause all I ever hear about are the people who do become addicted but is there anyone out there that does not get addicted
It is possible and it does happen. You don't hear about it because casual users don't have much to say about it and you hear "addict" stories because they are much more compelling (and many people with experience using drugs feel that their experience may be able to help others). Nobody wants to hear a story about a guy who does cocaine a few times a month, has a steady girl, a good job, friends, family, and decent social skills -- it just isn't all that interesting, but there are many casual/occasional users that do not fit with the concept of addiction. Furthermore, there is a large population of groups and individuals who actively campaign against drug use. This leads to the dissemination of stories, reports, narratives, and personal experiences that focus on the many negative aspects of using such substances.

So the answer to your question "is it possible to use a drug once a month and not become addicted" is: Yes, it is possible. However, there are many factors to consider and the bottom line is that, even though it is possible to use a drug without becoming addicted, it is not possible to know if and when a given person will become addicted. Everybody is different and because of this uknown component, a person is risking dependency/addiction every time he/she uses the substance.

It is also very common for someone to start off as an occasional user and even continue occasional use for an extended period of time without much negative impact, and then wake up one day to find themselves facing a big problem. It is often said that addiction is "sneaky" and this is especially true with cocaine. Once a month turns into once a week; once a week becomes twice a week; and so on until addiction/dependence has snuck up and taken hold.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:14 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

ive been using coke for almost two years and i would said lucky me that im not addicted. or atleast i think im not. i only used coke once a month i live in southern california and me a 3 friends go to tijuana,mexico once a month to drink and its the only place i do coke. when im in LA i dont even think about coke but i admit i have used coke in LA when i go drink with my friends, they offered it,s o i took. but the bad thing is when i go to tijuana i take a lot of coke and i keep wanting more and more and more buying 20 dollars of coke throughout the nite maybe spending like 200 dollars or more, but once im back in LA and do my normal life i dont even think about coke. the worst thing im only 20 years old. the only thing it scares me is my heart pumping really fast, in fact yesterday i did a lot of coke and right now my heart still pumping fast and my arm feels kinda numb.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:19 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

If you dont have a problem now you might have one soon. If your having heart pain I would go to the hospital. I wouldnt want to mess around with something like that. Maybe you overdid it this time. Dont let addiction sneak up on you like it did many of us. For a long time I had controled use. I wouldnt even think about My DOC then one day it was all I thought about and all I did. I couldnt stop, BAM I was an addict. Sneaks right up on you and bites you on the arse!
Old 01-10-2007, 03:30 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

now let me clarify I have never tried this and I dont intend to, but I do wonder if it is possible to use a drug for example cocanie (sp) say once a month and NOT become addicted, is this possible cause all I ever hear about are the people who do become addicted but is there anyone out there that does not get addicted

i know this post is a little old though i thought id give it my side anyways

The way i see it, if "I" use ANYthing that alters my mind or mood at ANY time, for ANY reason, even just to let loose,
food, sex, gambling, etc.etc.etc. i should probably ask myself the question "WHY."
if im in a good place i'm naturally feeling good, if not, i'll probably look for help to get me there!!!
this disease is cunning and baffling and VERY VERY progressive, and easy to fall into the trap of
instant gratification it gives me, and it doesnt matter how much or how often to get a good hold on me.
best idea, if someone thinks they dont have a problem, leave it all alone and dont ever touch it,
instead i pray they, look inside themselves and find out why they need to find outside help to feel whole.
i would also like to add
being here would probably suggest they think they may have a problem and are curious to find out.

by the way, if in your post your talking about "physical dependancy" with coc there is none, its all mental.
Old 01-10-2007, 04:15 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

sorry, had to respond...

Originally Posted by windysan View Post
Two types of cokeheads

1)window watcher - cokehead who constantly looks out the window for people who aren't there

2)floor watcher - cokehead who constantly looks at the floor for the last tiny rock of coke that isn't there
hehehe, there was a time i couldnt laugh about this but i sure can now...
how screwed up.
i was so paranoid i took all the fixers off the switches and plugs cause i knew "they" were listening...
cut down a tree so "they" couldnt watch...
whoever they were...
and i could probably make a loaf o bread out of all the white specks i smoked off the floor... argh...
still taste it too

sorry, please take this just as something to laugh at...
Old 01-20-2007, 11:02 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Good question...and some people who leave nasty comments to this are just that...nasty. You could have a child who you are concerned about for all we know. Anyways, i feel that i use coke occasionally...and dont feel i have a problem...some think i do. If its there, i cant turn it down, and when i drink i always want it. BUT, i hate it sober! I have tried a few times and it is the opposite affect for me. Makes me very uncomfortable and quiet. I even find that latley when i do it, it doesnt do what it used to. There is a good rush you get from coke, and i find i dont get that anymore. Im trying to figure out if that is due to how long ive been doing it, or just not good stuff. Im not sure. I am 26 and only tried for the first time a few years ago. I have remained a weekender - once a weekend - and have not really progressed to more. Once in a while i do it during the week if im out and it is there. I guess im not really answering your question am i? But more or less, i do use more than i would like to and when i know that i cannot drink alcohol without it...i dont feel i am an addict tho because if i were, i think i would need on a daily basis by now...I think there are people who can control it...somewhat. What do you think?
Old 01-22-2007, 09:10 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Some people like uppers, some like downers, I worked in hospital pharmacy for over 15 years and had no liking for pills. But, put a "rock" in front of me and I was off to the races, and I usually came in first. I wouldn't wish crack addiction on my worst enemy. it's the devil's drug. My dealer buddy used to say, Let's stop by so and so's house and lay a "Lays potato chip on him. I used to think it was funny, not anymore, my buddy blead me dry next. It's funny when you don't see it happening to yourself. Great advice Anvil. I suggest you spend some more time on the forum listening and then you might have some insight to the reaction you received. I myself thought you were an instigator by your "tone". sorry if i prejudged, we who suffered greatly are a little touchy sometimes unless we have a more complete understanding of where you are coming from. please stay and listen, and post.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:15 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
let it grow!

wasn't possible for my daughter. almost killed her.
Old 01-23-2007, 07:39 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I used drugs recreationally for 17 years. Eventually i lost control. I am now a recovering coke addict. Is it possible, yes. Do you know if it is piossible for you - NO. I was like some posters here, weekends only, only on holidays, and then one day I noticed after many years the gaps were getting smaller, the money I was spending was more, and then one day I could not function without using first! It a progressive disease see!!!

calabash
Old 01-24-2007, 01:25 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Evolving Addict

First of all...there are always exceptions to every rule. The NA Basic Text talks about those folks who aren't addicts....you know, the ones who never get addicted. So, there are people out there like that...I've met some (not many).

Secondly, I'm inclined to believe that there are much more than two types of "cokeheads." I think the remark was meant to be amusing, but for someone who isn't familiar with addiction to cocaine to read that - they'd come away misled and misinformed. I'll just say that there are numerous behaviors that can be demonstrated by someone addicted to cocaine and these behaviors are usually specific to the individual. Although "geekin' n peekin'" can be pretty common, I've seen some really strange stuff in my time that had nothing to do with windows or carpet.