Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse
Reload this Page >

is it possible to use cocaine or crack or any drug and NOT become addicted?

Notices

Old 12-07-2006, 11:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

now let me clarify I have never tried this and I dont intend to, but I do wonder if it is possible to use a drug for example cocanie (sp) say once a month and NOT become addicted, is this possible cause all I ever hear about are the people who do become addicted but is there anyone out there that does not get addicted
Old 12-07-2006, 11:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Rest In Peace

I suppose it's possible but I heard, and I KNOW that if it's in crack form, good luck - it sets off a chemical chain reaction that leaves you wanting more

Just like Lay's potato chips -can't eat just one.

FOrgive the analogy
Old 12-07-2006, 12:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

believe it or not, i used to do cocaine (not crack, never tried that) recreationally, and never had a problem. i liked it, but didn't spend any money on it (boyfriend did that), when it was gone, it was gone, never craved it, etc.
some people are just wired differently than others.
give me a pill, any pill, and i'm immediately hooked
BUT, better safe than sorry. i wish people wouldn't even try it once
Old 12-07-2006, 12:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

dont open the door

in my experience, open the door just a little, and the demon cocaine will force its way in, tearing that door off its hinges...I can go weeks or months without the cocaine...not even think about it...but once i have that first puff of the smoke..that door is impossible to close..it will go on until there is no more left...or i finally pass out, maybe days later..just not worth it..
Old 12-07-2006, 12:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Goin'....Goin'....Gone!

tried coke when I was 17...one line...got nothing off it at all. Never tried it again...and at 36 I doubt I will ever try it now.
pills are easier...
Old 12-07-2006, 03:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I read somewhere that everyone has a different threshold at which they would become addicted to coke. Some people could use it once and get hooked while others could use recreationally and not have a problem with it. The thing is- each time one uses coke, they get closer to that threshold.
The risky part is that no one knows how close they are to the threshold until they cross over that invisible line and become addicted. Cocaine is a dangerous and deadly risk-- it is better to leave it alone.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My father did coke a few times and never really liked it. I think it's a personal preference. He has a HIGHLY addictive personality (addicted to a lot of other things), but coke wasn't his thing. So yeah, I think it's possible. Now meth, he tried that once and loved it SO much that he decided that he better NEVER do that again cause he knew he'd be hooked. But the moral of the story is--- it's a little dangerous to toy around with just to find out.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It's possible for some people. Not possible for me. In general, I think one is
much less likely to avoid addiction if the cocaine is smoked. In addition, there is still a good chance a person will become addicted if they "just" snort. It's not worth the risk of trying - once a person realizes they cannot use without being addicted, they are addicted.
Old 12-08-2006, 04:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yes it's possible. I know of someone who just occasionally snorted a line of coke for fun and then quit it alltogether with no problem at all. Speaking for myself: I could never do it, but eh I can drink a few beers and move on without intense cravings to get drunk or anything...

Marte
Old 12-08-2006, 05:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

HI,

Most people take drugs with no long term consequence. Certainly some drugs are more addictive than others. My own experience was that for many years I used drugs recreationally. However, what I was unaware of was that slowly but sure;ly I was edging towards addiction. And eventually drugs were my god, and I was completely powerless over them For me this translated into using drugs against my will. This is a terrible feeling and experience. Loke the prolific drug alcohol, many people can have the odd drink. However, for some of us, and we never know who we are until it is too late, an allergic reaction takes place and we end up being powerless to the driug.

So my advice is keep your reslove to stay away from drugs. And do not test the theory of how to use safely, or which drugs are safe, so called hard or soft. Just say no. Its the only sure way to avoid addiction.
Old 12-08-2006, 06:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Why the hell would you wanna even try and find out? Is it possible to drive around all day long running red lights without having a collision? Sure, I suppose anything is possible. But nothing good can come from it. Cocaine is illegal. It has destroyed millions of lives. Why take the risk?
Old 12-08-2006, 07:28 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Time2Surrender View Post
Why the hell would you wanna even try and find out? Is it possible to drive around all day long running red lights without having a collision? Sure, I suppose anything is possible. But nothing good can come from it. Cocaine is illegal. It has destroyed millions of lives. Why take the risk?

ya....CLEARLY you didnt read the post otherwise you'd know that the very FIRST thing I wrote is that I never have tried coke and I NEVER intend to
Old 12-08-2006, 01:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

how is it disrespectful?
Old 12-08-2006, 02:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Location: 24/7 How Am I gonna Get claen, when Doctors don't help me?
Good question. I know of some people and few that do use cocaine here and there, and are in control, i would think it is like alchohol some people can drink and walk away from the bottle, it depends on the person I think. I have to add that due to the intense feelings this drug can bring on, odds are one becomes addicted...

Before I was a addict, I would see my sisters smoke and look at the floor for any crumbs that may have been droped, so one day I took a bag a fresh cat litter and through it all over my mom's carpet
Old 12-08-2006, 02:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
NAIOU

The King: Anything is possible. Most of the people I have seen that has tried it liked it, they liked it so much they spent most of their lives doing it. I have seen Cocaine put the best of the best to there knees. If cocaine is ever offered to you run like hell and you will be doing yourself a big favor.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:14 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Rest In Peace

King - I think what Anvil is trying to say is that most of us are here becausewe are addicts and our lives spiralled out of contol and we suffered SEVERE life changing losses due to drugs suh as the one you are inquiring aboiut. I know I did.

We addicts are a very sensitive lot - our feelings get hurt easily - we have lots of defenses = most have been hurt horribly - even if it's as a direct result of our own actioins- but have usually been damaged somewhere along the line. To have someone pose a provocative question - get some really good feedback, and then say - "Well, I would NEVER"..... well, you get the picture.

Never, and I repeat, never say never, my friend. None of us decided that when we grew up we wanted to be a drug addict!!!

What is it that brought you to this site, by the way?
Old 12-09-2006, 09:42 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

KING--It is possible to try anything once and not become addicted ...but why put yourself in that situation.
Old 12-09-2006, 10:09 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by THE KING View Post
ya....CLEARLY you didnt read the post otherwise you'd know that the very FIRST thing I wrote is that I never have tried coke and I NEVER intend to
Oh I read the question. Just dont know WHY you would come here asking a question like that.
Old 12-09-2006, 10:12 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LIL_Pebbles View Post

Before I was a addict, I would see my sisters smoke and look at the floor for any crumbs that may have been droped, so one day I took a bag a fresh cat litter and through it all over my mom's carpet
Now thats hillarious.
Old 12-09-2006, 11:42 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by acristicat View Post
King - I think what Anvil is trying to say is that most of us are here becausewe are addicts and our lives spiralled out of contol and we suffered SEVERE life changing losses due to drugs suh as the one you are inquiring aboiut. I know I did.

We addicts are a very sensitive lot - our feelings get hurt easily - we have lots of defenses = most have been hurt horribly - even if it's as a direct result of our own actioins- but have usually been damaged somewhere along the line. To have someone pose a provocative question - get some really good feedback, and then say - "Well, I would NEVER"..... well, you get the picture.

Never, and I repeat, never say never, my friend. None of us decided that when we grew up we wanted to be a drug addict!!!

What is it that brought you to this site, by the way?

orginally I was looking for a place that could help explain to me why I was feeling the way I was about my dad's addiction, thats when I found this site, that was always before I found out my dad was still sober