Notices

I'm driving everyone nuts

Old 07-24-2017, 07:17 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
zjw

yea i got hte book already lol. I thought the same thing maybe if anything it'll help me with interaction with others not just my wife etc..

I need all the help i can get when it comes to social interaction sometimes!
Old 07-24-2017, 08:14 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

One thing I would add here ZJ is that you are always very articulate at sharing your concerns here on SR. What that tells me is that the ability to do that in "real life" most likely already exists inside you too. A lot of us tend to isolote ( me included ) at times ruminate/overhink things to the point that it paralyzes us. I used to do this with health issues obsessively, and I still occasionally do it with social issues. For me honestly the best practice is just doing the things I don't want to do the most - because they are the things I need to do. Sometimes just little bits at a time, but the more you do them the easier they get. But make no mistake..you've got all the tools you need right inside you already.
Old 07-24-2017, 01:13 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
zjw

yeah someone recently told me if its hard thats good it means your learning.
Old 07-24-2017, 01:32 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
under new management

I haven't had any advice for you, zjw, but I have been following your thread.

I hope you and your wife find a way to be honest with each other and find a renewed closeness.

Rose
Old 07-24-2017, 02:32 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

In my own case, some of the times when I was depressed were when I wasn't being true to myself. Also, that working the AA program helped me to see the reality of where I may have been going wrong in my life.

Other than that, I don't know what i can say either to help, but know that I'm sending you a virtual hug.
Old 07-24-2017, 03:59 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

deep down tho I honestly want her approval. and I dont think i'm goning to get it. and I SHOULD be able to go along and function happily regardless
Change that to stay sober regardless of what someone else thinks. How long are you sober? In a program? You can't expect people to approve of you just because you stopped drinking. While drunk we all made heartfelt promises and let down those close to us. To get trust and respect from those we hurt we must earn it by staying sober.
Old 07-24-2017, 05:04 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
One thing I would add here ZJ is that you are always very articulate at sharing your concerns here on SR. What that tells me is that the ability to do that in "real life" most likely already exists inside you too. A lot of us tend to isolote ( me included ) at times ruminate/overhink things to the point that it paralyzes us. I used to do this with health issues obsessively, and I still occasionally do it with social issues. For me honestly the best practice is just doing the things I don't want to do the most - because they are the things I need to do. Sometimes just little bits at a time, but the more you do them the easier they get. But make no mistake..you've got all the tools you need right inside you already.

Personally, I had to learn to live outside of my comfort zone. I had no choice. It was either that or quit my job. With family I learned to say no. I am by nature a non-confrontational person and the "acceptance is the key" AA principle in a number of instances wasn't helpful.

I had to get out of my comfort zone/set boundaries so I started practicing this within the fellowship. Then I started doing so outside the rooms.

I feel much better today because of it.