Notices

Complete and utter self loathing

Old 11-30-2015, 07:14 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by shortstop81 View Post
I sooooooooo want this to be the last time. But I feel like I've been here before. What do I do different this time? The Antabuse isn't a permanent solution.

As soon as I start to feel 'good' again, physically and emotionally, I think it's fine to pick up a drink. Just for 'one last time'.
Nice to meet you Shortstop I would suggest printing this thread out and in particular put this post in your wallet as a timely reminder of 1 is too much a thousand is never enough

Glad your with us

The difference this time is your eyes are open which is beautiful and soon enough every time you read that lil slip of paper youl remember why your doing what your doing - Acceptance !! were alcoholic we are hardwired to want to drink for any occasion and by accepting how destructive that is to ourselves & others plus the main fact we can't drink safely or responsibly we learn not to be destructive towards ourselves
Old 12-02-2015, 06:28 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
G-Woman

Thank you all for your replies. They have been thoughtful, insightful, and compassionate.

I'm proud to report that I'm still sober, and back working the night shift tonight. I feel emotionally a little better than the other night, and a little more in control.

OpenTuning - thanks for the suggestion on Allen Carr. I actually read his book on smoking, and it actually helped me kick that habit. It's crazy how intellectually we know what we need to do, yet our 'lizard' brain can so easily overpower our best intentions.

FreeOwl - there's at least one or two things on that list I'd say 'no' to. I haven't completed the steps, and I've been pretty inconsistent about seeing my counsellors and therapist. Definitely things to work on.

I'm absolutely grateful for this site, and it's a great way to stay grounded and 'reminded' every day.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:52 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
G-Woman

As for the Antabuse - it's really just a last ditch effort to stabalize me at least for a fewmonths. Just enough to get some time under my belt, get my recovery plan back in action, etc.

I'm unfortunately going through a divorce right now and it's been especially hard to stay sober the past few months. I keep getting a few weeks under my belt before picking up the drink. Right now I need the back-up insurance.
Old 12-03-2015, 12:00 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Do your best

Your doing great ShortStop have you spoke to a Dr ?
Old 12-03-2015, 11:43 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
G-Woman

Yes, my family doctor and the doctor from my treatment program is aware of my situation.
Old 12-03-2015, 12:12 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
quat

ss81
Just wanted to add, you Can Do this, don't forget to add this to your list , you can, believe it, it's true
rootin for ya
Old 12-03-2015, 12:19 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
G-Woman

Just started reading Allen Carr's 'Stop Smoking Now'. I'm not usually keen on self-help books, but it seriously helped me quit smoking so it seems like a no brainer to give it a try.

I've been doing some reading on AVRT/SMART on the Secular boards, and I'm very intrigued. I've always wondered if my failure in AA has been because I'm 'not working the program' to a T or if the program just isn't RIGHT for me.

Again - I have many tools at my disposal but I don't tend to pick them up when needed. Maybe they aren't the right ones?
Old 12-03-2015, 01:52 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

who knows

I hope these new tools are easier for you to use when you need 'em, shortstop
Old 12-03-2015, 05:44 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by shortstop81 View Post
Just started reading Allen Carr's 'Stop Smoking Now'. I'm not usually keen on self-help books, but it seriously helped me quit smoking so it seems like a no brainer to give it a try.

I've been doing some reading on AVRT/SMART on the Secular boards, and I'm very intrigued. I've always wondered if my failure in AA has been because I'm 'not working the program' to a T or if the program just isn't RIGHT for me.

Again - I have many tools at my disposal but I don't tend to pick them up when needed. Maybe they aren't the right ones?
Don't know if you meant to write "Stop Smoking Now" for the Allen Carr book, but while I think the overall method and concept is the same, his book on drinking targets the specific arguments we've all heard, read or used countless times to justify our drinking. All the supposed benefits of alcohol, and why they're all lies. I found it very, very convincing and I like to think I'm pretty good at picking holes in arguments. Worth checking that one out.
Old 12-03-2015, 10:23 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
G-Woman

Originally Posted by OpenTuning View Post
Don't know if you meant to write "Stop Smoking Now" for the Allen Carr book, but while I think the overall method and concept is the same, his book on drinking targets the specific arguments we've all heard, read or used countless times to justify our drinking. All the supposed benefits of alcohol, and why they're all lies. I found it very, very convincing and I like to think I'm pretty good at picking holes in arguments. Worth checking that one out.
Oh no, definitely meant 'Drinking' instead of 'Smoking'.

Already figured out the smoking thing.