Notices

One Year and Under Club Part 45

Old 05-16-2015, 08:25 PM
  # 481 (permalink)  

Waiting on uber to pick me up and bring me back to the hotel. Stayed 100% sober tonight and hung around and had a good time until it seemed people were starting to ramp up the drinking and then I left.

For all intents and purposes, I've made it through! Don't see any temptations popping up tomorrow since nobody at the bachelor party I've spoken to is planning on drinking.

Maybe I came across a bit as the lame younger brother, but much better than being the butt of jokes at the wedding because of drunk antics. One guy was being completely absurd before I left. I'm sure he'll be up to stupid stuff later, so I'll let him be the butt of the jokes.
Old 05-16-2015, 08:49 PM
  # 482 (permalink)  
Administrator

good to hear mets
Old 05-17-2015, 03:41 AM
  # 483 (permalink)  

Womp is definitely the game show sound!
Old 05-17-2015, 04:40 AM
  # 484 (permalink)  

Sounds really good, Mets! I find it helps me to think about the many, many bad things about how alcohol affects me and that really helps :-)
Old 05-17-2015, 06:12 AM
  # 485 (permalink)  

Hi Undies,

I am visiting my 5 month old granddaughter this weekend so only time for a quick hello.

For Me now...I have found so much peace and joy in recovery. More than I ever knew existed. I was taught that the same person will drink again...so I changed. I stopped fighting with booze with my will. Booze will always win that way imho....even if it waits...umm, say 11.5 years .

Once I surrendered to being powerless I in contrast list my obsession to drink...such a wonderful paradox!

If I had to fight cravings every day, or even often, I would eventually just drink. I needed a rich life in recovery to realize that I am not missing one thing in life by not drinking. I had to follow the fact that the same person will always drink again.

Gotta dash--------hope I didn't make too many mistakes typing on my phone.

Enjoy your day, undies...

Carlos
Old 05-17-2015, 06:25 AM
  # 486 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Mets, glad you have seen the weekend through sober ( I'm counting today already as I can hear your determination!

BeFree maybe it's time to get in a few more meetings and not become overly reliant on you sober friends for company. Keep reaching out for the things you want to do that you enjoy or want to try.

Sass I'm glad you are feeling more on an even keel. I too find myself happily overindulging in all sorts. I used to say I drank so much through gluttony rather than confront my addiction, but I do feel that there were psychological issues at play where indulgence was comforting in a way that real life wasn't.

I have frequently been challenged this week, with hubby drinking every day and sometimes to excess. I don't worry about him, he is just a Normie on holiday, but there were a lot of times I wished my drinking was such I could enjoy a decent wine, a nice port or a frosty cold beer. Instead I ordered large bottles of fizzy water with every meal so I had plenty in my glass at all times. AV has tried to tell me I am probably not a real alkie, as I managed to successfully quit! It has also attempted to convince me I could drink normally now, or what happens in Cascais stays in Cascais. And seriously I cannot lie and say I wasn't tempted. But bottom line, I am too scared of what I could become to put my sobriety at risk. So even at 26 months, I could not afford to become complacent about my sobriety, or my reasons for it. Always focus on why you chose to stop drinking, and why you choose to stay sober. Remind yourself daily that life is better sober.
Old 05-17-2015, 08:49 AM
  # 487 (permalink)  

Good morning Undies

I can be a good sport while people around me are drinking for only so long. When it becomes white knuckling, such as when being privy to it every day, I find that's not a very fulfilling way to live.

I don't know what the right answer is for those of us in recovery who are trying to find our way through life surrounded by our partners, families and friends who drink, whether normally or to excess.

I feel detached at times from people in my life. Last night I hung out with my regular crowd. The night stated out good, but as people got drunker, their behavior deteriorated to the point where it was just sad. Yet all those folks will look back on last night as having so much fun, and will want to do it again next weekend.

Someone at AA shared about the challenge of trying to fit to his old life with friends who drink/use when he became a nondrinker. It's not easy facing facts that many people in my life, while sweet and nice, smart and funny, and successful, are above all drinking/using buddies who have no interest in this new chapter I'm writing. I've mourned that loss a lot over the past 14+ months. Now I need to move on, let my recovery guide me, live my truth, enjoy my life, and accept where it takes me.

Today it got me out of bed early for a 2 mile walk/run, huge cup of coffee, a quiet morning reading alongside my two kids, a chance to wrap my head around a couple of issues, and a list of a few things for me to do to make the most of today.

Have a great day Undies!!
Old 05-17-2015, 06:16 PM
  # 488 (permalink)  

Glee, I, too find that some days are easier than others. I can manage the dinners with others drinking a glass of wine though it does remind me that I wish I could have a single glass. There are times it's not as easy as others. Since my drinking is associated with stress, it's those times when it bothers me. I don't put myself in that spot more than 1 -3 times per week but would be happier if I could avoid it all together.

Since I have other serious issues besides alcohol, I find that I simply cannot put that level of effort into everything so I have to make choices. If I drink, however, then I automatically am not dealing with everything else so sobriety is critical as a baseline. I've found that even before aging I have always forgotten what happened in the past though if I really work at it I can retrieve those memories. It's a dilemma sometimes. At least with my recent slip I stopped before it reached a point where I couldn't stop on my own. That's progress for me.
Old 05-17-2015, 08:52 PM
  # 489 (permalink)  

Carlos great post. That's just what I needed to hear. Hope you are having fun with your grand daughter.

Toots that's a good idea. I will try and make that happen.

GF sounds like a good productive day.

Well I thought I was free from wompland tomorrow like I'm supposed to be every Monday but I got asked to come in so I said ok. I try to always be a team player when it comes to womp and sometimes that means going when I don't want to. So next day off will be thurs. thankfully had a nice relaxing day today. I took my dog to the park this morning and got some errands done.
Old 05-18-2015, 12:11 AM
  # 490 (permalink)  

Had a night out over the weekend. ... took all of the family. .. on the whole it was good. Dancing and eating and drinking pop.
Petals junior told me off for my dancing.... I tried to ignore it.
Next day junior said it was like I was drunk and brought everything back and upset junior. .... I'm so upset. ........ they only came to one night out in my former life so I don't really know what they are going on about.
Just know that I feel like poop now.
So very sad and left me thinking what's the point of being good....
Been working so hard on life and dealing with av...
Bye for now
Old 05-18-2015, 12:57 AM
  # 491 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry petals - sometimes people don't realise how much casual words hurt.

The point of 'being good' is it's fundamentally for you, not for anyone else - even young Petals Jr.

If the you you want to be dances, then dance petals - you've earned that right
Old 05-18-2015, 01:10 AM
  # 492 (permalink)  

It's hard but try not to take it personally, Petals. Dee is right. All you've got to do is be good to yourself. The rest will come
Old 05-18-2015, 02:07 AM
  # 493 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Totally ditto Dee there, and add that perhaps some of Petals Jnrs own issues about embarrassing parents are entwined there.
Mr T doesn't appreciate my close relationship with my inner child and the fact I let her out to play ( in other words, I frequently get told to 'act my age' it used to get me down and upset me. Now I just tell him to stop being a grumpy old fart and learn to live a little.
Be yourself Petals, be true to yourself. Xx
Old 05-18-2015, 02:34 AM
  # 494 (permalink)  

(((Petals))), everyone else has said it better than I could. Be good to yourself.
Old 05-18-2015, 03:09 AM
  # 495 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear that petals. Try to go easier on yourself. You know that you were sober and my guess is they were just joking that the way you danced looked like you were drunk, while they probably knew you were sober. I wasn't there, but I'm thinking it was just a joke and it just hit you hard and the wrong way.

Go easy on yourself and move on to the next day.

Be well
Old 05-18-2015, 03:38 AM
  # 496 (permalink)  

I'm sorry, Petals. I'm glad you had a nice time, except for the hurtful comment. Don't let that overshadow the whole evening. It was a good time!

Tell Petals Jr. to blow it out his shorts!
Old 05-18-2015, 03:50 AM
  # 497 (permalink)  
Administrator

Time for a new thread:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...part-46-a.html

D