Notices

Atheist/Agnostic AA groups, how do they work?

Old 04-04-2011, 08:42 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Ethanol Intolerant

Originally Posted by CatWings View Post
As my father points out, we live in mostly a Judeo-Christian culture still and this is the terminology we have for the program.

I think any evolution past that would have to start with secular 12-step meetings.

I think the strong traditions of AA prevent such evolution and it at least keeps it simple and avoids serious controversy.

When I went to meetings in Ohio, they seemed very religious in tone. In Colorado they are a lot less so. But I still have a hard time with the religious aspects of AA and I didn't really find much comfort in the chapter to the Agnostic.
That chapter almost drove me from the program. It would be too harsh to call it gobbledygook. I am sure it was written with the best of intentions, but the longer I am in the program the more limitations I am seeing with the theist approach. It is simply too easy, (or perhaps impossible not to), to call your will, god's will.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:48 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

In the Phoenix, AZ area I gave up on finding an atheist/agnostic AA group, and started attending SMARTRecovery meetings instead. There are several meetings in various locations, and I was impressed with their approach to recovery. Rather than telling us that we're powerless and need a god (what else could a capitalized Higher Power, to whom we are to pray and from whom we are to expect miracles, really mean?), SMART gives real techniques for real people with real problems. I'm now alcohol-free for over 2 1/2 years and counting.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:49 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Why not start your own atheist/agnostic AA group? There are some great models to follow. We've had an SAA agnostic telemeeting running for about a year now, and it's been very helpful for me, personally.

It's not a bad idea to look at the literature for the other 12-step programs. They have taken the core, timeless meaning and spirit of the AA program and adapted them to other addictions. NA has some really great literature. GA has probably the best non-theist language. And face it, most of us qualify in multiple programs. I know I do...
Old 05-18-2016, 08:19 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

More resources than ever for nonbelievers in AA

Google AA agnostics NYC for a link is a list of about 300 meetings nights of AA for atheists/agnostics/freethinkers.

There are more and more books on recovery written by atheist. Some of them are 12-Step based and some are not.

At the turn of the century there were under 40 agnostic/atheist AA groups and as the demographics outside AA's doors change, so too, does AA.

In Austin November 11 - 13th, 2016 the second International Conference for AA atheists, agnostics & freethinkers is happening. Around 300 attended the first in 2014 in Santa Monica. The link is found by searching WAAFTIAAC

Warm regards,