Notices

Sober Vapers

Old 02-02-2015, 11:22 AM
  # 381 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

The hostility to EC may be related to a moral belief that nicotine use should be eradicated rather than allowed to morph into a relatively harmless activity.
This line really struck home. Especially in the US where smokers have been turned into "villains" and where smoking is now associated with lower class/lower education.
I had a nasty little encounter at an AA clubhouse when I started vaping with a stupid bitch who kept shrieking that I was smoking now mind you, people vape there all the time.

ChiefBromden thank you so much for correcting the misinformation I wrote accidentally.
I vape (low power though) in the bathroom of the senior center where I go to meetings as well as in the office and at the shelters where I work all the time. Good to know to be careful and that there are different more sensitive technologies.

Attanaboy: I hear you about the addict thing but right now I am just so relieved to not have a 2 packs a day habit anymore thanks to vaping plus I must admit that I really got hooked on all those flavors, trying out new ones etc...
Old 02-02-2015, 03:30 PM
  # 382 (permalink)  

After having nothing but problems with my halo triton, leaking tanks,battery wouldnt hold a charge. I ordered an itaste vv last week. I just got it today and wow what a difference. I got a flavor called g2 its fruity with an aftertaste of almost black licorice. Thanks to this thread i found out about blends. The stuff i was vaping was straight pg. I was wondering why it almost burned my throat while vaping. The new stuff is a blend and its so much of a smoother hit. Still gotta read up about voltage and watts but i have to say, there is no way I'm going back to ciggs.
So thanks to this thread I'm a sober vaper now
Old 02-02-2015, 04:31 PM
  # 383 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I love vaping! I'm saving money and my health. I'm still getting my nicotine fix, but not the dangerous chemicals in cigarettes. And I vape much less than I used to smoke. This is a win win for me.
Old 02-02-2015, 04:57 PM
  # 384 (permalink)  
torquemax777

I know there's a lot of pages to this thread, but if some of you guys who are new here just page thru and find anything that Chief and Anattaboy wrote (starting at page one) they both go into a lot of the "techie" stuff about coils, wicks, ohms/resistance, and variable voltage/wattage. Very cool stuff guys!

Just look for their names on all 20 pages and just read what they say. So cool!
Old 02-02-2015, 08:44 PM
  # 385 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Originally Posted by torquemax777 View Post
I know there's a lot of pages to this thread, but if some of you guys who are new here just page thru and find anything that Chief and Anattaboy wrote (starting at page one) they both go into a lot of the "techie" stuff about coils, wicks, ohms/resistance, and variable voltage/wattage. Very cool stuff guys!

Just look for their names on all 20 pages and just read what they say. So cool!
I wouldn't understand what I was reading, I'm quite a technodummy.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:05 PM
  # 386 (permalink)  
torquemax777

Least, I know what you mean, both Carlotta and I were like whaaa??? At first, then we got way more into it then planned, and now my husband and I are rebuilding coils and Carlotta has a variable voltage/wattage battery....

It can creep up. I just got further into it when replacing gas station clearomizers was starting to cost nearly as much as cigarettes.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:04 PM
  # 387 (permalink)  

Carlotta, thanks but I only know a lot about my Kanger ptm2 cuz I'm cheap, inquisitive and needed a hobby to fill all the time I used to drink. I still have only 2 stick batteries and one is stripped (inside threads) and I use a big rubber band to charge it. The coils I fiddled with till I found what I like and although it's technically a micro-coil at only 1.03 mm ID, it's still around 2 ohms (same as factory but better with cotton IMO) and tastes great. It may not wick right on another unit. I got all my info from youtube and vape forums. I'm 3 days into 8% juice and finally settling in. I could not be happier with the time invested as it empowered me the same as tapering off alcohol successfully. I have flipped off big treatment and big tobacco and am active in saving my own ass. It's been a blast and I'm still in that game whether it be working out till I'm buffer than..well now, or starting a hot sauce company in my kitchen (wife and I are both hot-heads). Onward!
For anyone wishing to reduce nic--I've found my caffeine intake had to go down with the nic and it has been gradual for me.
Old 02-04-2015, 03:56 AM
  # 388 (permalink)  

Torque, thank YOU for the endorsement . and Carlotta, thank You for the invite to this thread. My kids and wife have a 1 in 4 chance of me getting their names right at any given time. I still speak, type and act before thinking a lot of the time. I'm anxious a lot--like I'm always making up for lost time. T'was that way in the nineties when I had 8 yrs but I had a house framing business that gave me an outlet. It will have to be a fitness regime this time around and getting back to sitting twice daily.
Old 02-04-2015, 05:34 AM
  # 389 (permalink)  

One year vaping today, and 13 months smoke-free (I tried cold turkey first but felt absolutely horrible and picked up vaping instead after a month).

Some stats:

Money saved on smoking: $ 9,278.86
Money spent on vaping: $ 3,206.59
Money saved: $ 6,072.27
Cigarettes avoided: 27,989

Now, keep in mind I bought a lot of gear to test out, and also have enough liquids and liquid base ingredients for the next 3 years.

These numbers do include the costs I made for my wife (all kinds of gear and liquids), but not the savings, so in reality we saved even more money. Still, $ 6000 doesn't sound bad in itself. (plus lots of shiny toys instead of ashes and buds)

Never thought I'd feel so good about having smoked so much.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:41 AM
  # 390 (permalink)  

I haven't figured total savings yet. Wife is up to 3 packs a day (12.50) and I vape 1.00 of juice per day and maybe 3 cents of wire and cotton if I want a new coil daily. I've never had so much fun quitting anything.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:20 AM
  # 391 (permalink)  
quat

My wife and I stopped smoking analogs(paper cigs) in Jan of 13. For me a big sober tie in was when we switched to ecigs, I could no longer mask sneaking into the shed and smoking pot, I smoked both cigarettes and cigars , big stink for cover up. And that definately helped put me on the road to finally tackling my alcohol addiction.
In Feb of 14 , while Valentine's Day shopping I stopped into a vape shop at the local mall, somewhat on a lark, as I felt the over the counter ecigs with disposable cartomizers was good enough. Longer story short , we starting to appreciate the vast difference in vaping experiences with different devices and flavors and still vaping strong, neither could even seriously entertain the idea of analogs ever again.
Improved health, shiny cool toys, flavors , loving the vaping
Old 02-04-2015, 07:51 AM
  # 392 (permalink)  
torquemax777

This is one of the private messages that Chief gave me permission to share. He said he is really busy but to " feel free" to share:

Me: how in the world did you learn so much about vaping in a little over a year???

Chief:
It became a passion from day 1 because... it worked. 40 years of smoking.... I went cold turkey on January 4 last year, lasted 28 days, got really sick (literally), didn't want to cave in, found vaping, rest is history.

Also: when I gave the presentation to 100+ health professionals back in September, I need to make sure I could back up and explain every single word I said, especially when it comes to research. I spend 240 hours on a 45 minute presentation.

Quote:me:
Do you think the FDA will get overly involved and be a pain in the ass? Or do you think it will be a good thing that keeps us safe?

Chief:
I don't want to be doom & gloom, but they already proposed regulation deeming ecigs a tobacco product... as it stands now every single ecig will become illegal except for the cigalikes (owned by tobacco companies mostly...). Approval would cost hundreds of thousands per device and per liquid.

The final regulation will be implemented in 2016, but in the mean time the states are moving to banning (California just declared ecigs a worse health threat than cigarettes last week..., NH wants to ban it everywhere except at home) or taxing it into oblivion.

Personally, I think vaping is doomed. Not for us who already know where to get the products and believe in it, but for future ex-smokers.

Sorry for the down note. We still have about 2 years before it all hits the fan, and maybe, just maybe, reasonable science can convince law makers around the world. But I'm not holding my breath...

/CB
ChiefBromden
Old 02-04-2015, 10:01 AM
  # 393 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing that info.

I also know that health insurance companies are cracking down as well. I know a guy whose insurance company required blood tests to prove nicotine free. If you weren't you were dropped. This was employer sponsored health insurance and with union representation

I am switching to vaping to help me quit because my husband's employer based insurance is also requiring nicotine free or paying a monthly penalty. It is $50. A month now but expect it to go up.

I think Philly has labeled Ecigs just like regular and can't do it in public places and NJ is talking about doing that as well.

Heck employers are allowed to discriminate against smokers by not hiring them and are. They will do it with vapers as well.
Old 02-04-2015, 10:26 AM
  # 394 (permalink)  
torquemax777

I always said I don't care if I ever quit vaping, but if it gets to be too much of a pain in the ass, I'll quit it too. Hell, it's probably already paid for itself! Sounds like we get at least a year or two left to worry about it.

Wish I would have saved some of Chiefs other PMs to me regarding variable voltage/wattage and all the other stuff. He had a way of making even me, who's pretty ignorant, go, "ohhh! OK! I get it now! That totally makes sense! " but I got a warning that my inbox was getting too full, and rather than selecting some to keep and some to toss, I just deleted them all; my bad!

Maybe there'll be more to come in the future?
Old 02-04-2015, 10:31 AM
  # 395 (permalink)  

I got my order from vape wild Yesterday YEAH!!! After playing eni meni miny moe i decided banana candy, so right it tastes just like the banana runts..Haven't tried any others yet but am excited too...Thanks everyone this is the best juice i've tried...Happy Wednesday
Old 02-04-2015, 11:11 AM
  # 396 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Happy Wednesday Krs, Congrats on 13 months smoke free ChiefBromden and thank you everyone for your awesome contributions to this thread.
I love the way you keep the discussion going Torquemax this thread and the Flufflies are by far my two favorites on SR.
Happy Wednesday everyone.
Old 02-04-2015, 12:21 PM
  # 397 (permalink)  

So...Weed legal--Nic not? Eureka! So much incentive to be a....supplier. If I didn't quit gunplay years ago this could be fun...Anyhoo, back to the now. Just got 30 ml of 8% blueberry and added it to my ry4, fruitorgy,strawberry concoction and it's all good.
Old 02-04-2015, 03:24 PM
  # 398 (permalink)  

To be clear: I didn't want to discourage anyone from vaping with those political backgrounds, but I also think it's important to know where you/we stand. And yes, with the current proposals in NYC for example, vaping weed would become legal, vaping nic wouldn't...

"What's that in your hand sir? Vanilla custard? Strawberry-Peach?"
"No officer, just some weed"
"Ah, very well, have a good day sir."

In other news: just saw an in depth review of the coming iStick 50w. Quite a few improvements, relatively inexpensive, and a 4400 mAh battery, which should last a couple of days. If anyone would have predicted such a device a year ago, the word "nuts" would have featured prominently.
Old 02-04-2015, 03:46 PM
  # 399 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing that and ALL your knowledge with us Chief. Looks like I may need another new MOD! The power for the price on that. I take heed to your predictions, working on lowering my nicotine but I will enjoy this while it lasts. Thank you for the advice on the MVP!!!!!
Old 02-05-2015, 07:41 AM
  # 400 (permalink)  

More "science": Vaping may not be as safe as smokers think, research suggests | Society | The Guardian

Of course, when you read the whole article, you find:

E-cigarettes generated just 1% of the amount of free radicals in tobacco smoke, but this still posed a potential health risk, said the researchers.
So, I note the study says 100 times less harmful than tobacco smoke.

Keep this in mind when others attack you: no sane person would ever say vaping "is safe". What we can say is that it's harm reduction, and with this study we can conclude that regarding this particular issue it has a 100 times less harmful outcome.

I also note chain-vaping might not be recommended for mice.