Notices

Anyone having these symptoms?

Old 08-23-2015, 07:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anyone having these symptoms?

Hello I am new here and am hoping for some feedback on some symptoms I am having. I have been 13 years a heavy drinker and smoker of cigarettes and quit both 27 days ago. I got the proper meds from my doctor for the alcohol withdrawal so no issue there.

About 16 days into my detox I was having general tingling in my left foot and hand. That wasn't much of an issue because I read about potential withdrawal symptoms and that was included. Here is where it got weird for me and has continued up to day 27 today.

I started getting these rushes of numbness in my left foot, hand and lips all at once that would last for maybe 10 to 15 seconds. When it first happened it scared the crap out of me because I thought I was having a stroke.

So off the the ER I went and they did blood work, chest xray, EKG, CT of head and neck, echocardiogram of my heart and neck and a MRI with contrast of my head and neck. All came back negative and they ruled out stroke or TIA's. Ok great I'm not dying...

Well here I am ten days later and I am having it all the time. I can be walking, stand up to quick, playing with my dog. It's a very odd sensation when it happens. Just a onset of numbness in my left foot lower calf, left hand and left side of my lips. Pretty much every time I walk around and not it just keeps going until I stop walking and either sit or lay down.

Has anyone on here experienced anything like this? If so please share with me your experience so I don't feel like I am going crazy.

(Also, I actually went back to the ER yesterday because it was happening so much and they checked everything out again and told me they believe I am suffering from Alcoholic Neuropathy.) Again any feed back or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. God bless.

Old 08-23-2015, 07:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

Congrats MrCC on 27 Days !! Welcome to SR . Yes I have heard many people talk about those things happening in early recovery . We can't give medical advice ( as a rule) , but some mention looking into PAWS tells about all kinds of with drawls from alcohol that can happen . Theirs a link in here someplace .
Hopefully someone will come along & help you more on this . Or Google it as your waiting
Old 08-23-2015, 07:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think it's great that you went to the er twice just to be sure.

My problem is with pills but when i went thru a nasty divorce a long time ago, i noticed my lips, hands and feet were numb and tingling.
I went to the er and my blood pressure was about 210 over 105. WAY TO HIGH! They took blood gases and discovered i was so upset that i was forgetting to breathe. I was breathing in and holding it causing a hypervenilation thing.
Your blood pressure seems OK. But i am not familiar with alcoholic neuropathy. Congrats on quitting smoking and drinking! Wow!!
Old 08-23-2015, 07:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The numbness / tingling is called neuropathy. I have it too. You should go visit a doctor, and while there ask to be tested for diabetes. Who knows, maybe you'll get lucky, and you just need to change your diet around a little and it'll disappear.

Again, you're best off seeing a doctor about that. More than likely, your doctor will recommend you buy a blood sugar testing kit -- you ***** your finger a few times a day, and keep a journal of your readings, then take it back to your doctor for evaluation after a couple weeks.
Old 08-23-2015, 07:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have read posts somewhere else here from people with those symptoms, or similar. Hope they read this and reply. Are you taking B1? that's supposed to help all of us drinkers as when drinking we weren't absorbing B1.
Old 08-23-2015, 07:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's very odd. A few days ago, someone asked about neuropathy damages from drinking. (you can search my user name, because I replied). I replied that I would get the numb foot and tingling while drinking, but hadn't had it since quitting. I'm on day 46--finally figured out how you were all calculating that on the homepage.

At any rate, that night--almost second after posting--I began to have left foot numbness, even moreso than I ever had while drinking. My first reaction was that it could be psychosomatic. This often happens to me. I think about heart attacks and then get chest pain. It's annoying. But this kept coming and going for 2 days and then stopped.

I think it had to do with increased sugar or maybe the stevia substitute I was using. I was tested for diabetes during my hospital stay, again and again because I came in with ketoacidosis from drinking. That test was negative.

But, I can't figure out why I had that episode for a few days and then gone. I wonder if it was related to eating or in my head.

Good luck.
Old 08-23-2015, 07:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

I had some tingling off and on and an odd body sensation when I rubbed my body as in taking a shower and getting cleaned....it has basically stopped at 4 years of sobriety.
Old 08-23-2015, 08:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
aka Nesty

I looked all over for the link, not much luck Anyways I don't know what I was thinking by just using abbre.
This what PAWS means :post-acute-withdrawal syndrome.
I found it a very interesting read , even after 2 years Sober
Old 08-23-2015, 08:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sadly just about anything can happen in early recovery...it can be frightening. Good for you on getting completely checked out!!

And congratulations on 27 days!
Old 08-23-2015, 09:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi MrCC.. Welcome to SR... Funny you should mention that as I'm coming up to a year sober & today I started having tingling on my palms... I've had them before, about 6months a go... I believe it is linked to PAWS...... Don't forget after years of drinking the body can't just recover overnight, it takes time, maybe years... All I can suggest, eat healthy food, avoid caffeine, I drink Green & White Tea, Decaf Cafe & Twinnings do a great detox tea with Milk Thistle & Lemon... Also you maybe lacking certain vitamins.. Might be worth having a chat with your Doc if you are too concerned... Well done on 27 days... AWESOME!!
Old 08-23-2015, 09:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I highly doubt it's PAWS, as some have mentioned. PAWS is emotional, whereas neuropathy is physical. Two different ball games.

If he's concerned about it, he needs to visit a doctor and get properly tested / diagnosed. There's a chance it's alcohol neuropathy, pre-diabetes, or who knows. There's a chance the doctor will simply say learn how to enjoy broccolli, milk and fish more, and it will naturally go away. There's a chance it's more serious though.

If he had full on diabetes, he most likely would have went into diabetic shock and ended up in the ER by now, so good chance it's nothing too serious. Proper, professional diagnosis from a doctor is what's needed though.
Old 08-23-2015, 09:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TroyW View Post
I highly doubt it's PAWS, as some have mentioned. PAWS is emotional, whereas neuropathy is physical. Two different ball games.

If he's concerned about it, he needs to visit a doctor and get properly tested / diagnosed. There's a chance it's alcohol neuropathy, pre-diabetes, or who knows. There's a chance the doctor will simply say learn how to enjoy broccolli, milk and fish more, and it will naturally go away. There's a chance it's more serious though.

If he had full on diabetes, he most likely would have went into diabetic shock and ended up in the ER by now, so good chance it's nothing too serious. Proper, professional diagnosis from a doctor is what's needed though.
Thank you everyone. TroyW you are on point. I have had every test done known to man kind and they believe it is neuropathy. Put me on high dose of vitamins (Thiamine, Folate, B6, B12, Niacin) Blood sugar is good. Just going to give this time and see if it chills out. Thank you again.
Old 08-23-2015, 09:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Google Vitamin b12 deficency....some of these symptoms can be caused by vit deficiencis and b12 is a necessity for healthy nerve and brain function....i take a b12 supplement daily as recommended by my doctor and just fyi I'm pretty high up in the medical field (don't necessarily want to say what I do for privacy sake and the nature of this website) so I know a little bit about this kind of stuff...good luck and congrats on your sober time!
Old 08-23-2015, 10:01 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome MrCC