Notices

Class of September 2014

Old 09-08-2014, 07:25 AM
  # 361 (permalink)  

Alynn. I don't know where you live, but is there any possibility of joining a support group? Or have you already? It sounds like you're feeling isolated.
Old 09-08-2014, 07:30 AM
  # 362 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nmd View Post
Sounds like me, I get so wrapped up in doing things that I have a habit of "unwinding" with drinking. Problem is, drinking really just amplifies things. If I'm agitated, I'll be more agitated drinking. There has to be better ways to wrap up a day and unwind, right?
halfvictory & nmd: Sounds like me as well! The only thing that I've found that helps is to go exercise instead (easier said than done sometimes)

Alynn: I'm sorry that you are going through that and don't have anyone who can watch your child. I agree that going to the Dr. and coming clean is a really, really good move!
Old 09-08-2014, 08:49 AM
  # 363 (permalink)  

Ehh just had a little pity party this morning. Maybe I can get in while she is in preschool. I dread going to the Dr! Just the though has me anxious! I did join a support class yesterday at church though! It will be a good thing for me. Like to check out a meeting now but once again have to find help with the kiddo... How is everyone else's day going? I can do all things through he who strengthens me
Old 09-08-2014, 09:50 AM
  # 364 (permalink)  

I tried about a year ago and fell flat. Since then I saw a doc and got anti-depressant meds, and I started and kept on an exercise program, and then the day finally came. I just knew it was going to be this weekend. I had my yearly physical and I'd lived another year but that just wasn't enough anymore. So I went out Friday night and got totally plowed. Then not a drop of booze Saturday, Sunday, or so far today. Have slept like a rock. No empties to get rid of. It's a long way to go but it just all came together at last. I want to keep going and am glad this site is here.
Old 09-08-2014, 11:13 AM
  # 365 (permalink)  

Welcome Texas! (I'm a Texan also now it Georgia) Glad your here and giving it up!
Old 09-08-2014, 11:13 AM
  # 366 (permalink)  

I thought today was going to be a good day. Until I got to my mom's to drop off my 2 youngest so I could go to work. One of my brothers came to Michigan from Nevada for my sisters wedding and went out last night and no one has heard from him him. His girlfriend in Nevada said he called her in the middle of the night begging her to send him $200. Said some guy wants his money and wants it now. My brother is a alcoholic as well as a drug addict. We only see him once a year and aren't around him enough to know just how bad things are. His phones off and no one knows where he is. I am at work worried as hell about him. Any prayers would be greatly appreciated right now. Day 2 here and I absolutely know that I will not drink tonight.
Old 09-08-2014, 11:15 AM
  # 367 (permalink)  

Thought I would snoop around in the Sept 13' class. All good stuff there. Lots of happy one year people! Let's go for that?!?!?!?!
Old 09-08-2014, 11:54 AM
  # 368 (permalink)  

Sending prayers for you and your family, deanyya. I hope your brother is ok.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:09 PM
  # 369 (permalink)  

Well class I messed up last night, back to day 1. Should have came here before I drank. Feeling embarrassed, but still going to make September my month
Old 09-08-2014, 01:17 PM
  # 370 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zoey09 View Post
Well class I messed up last night, back to day 1. Should have came here before I drank. Feeling embarrassed, but still going to make September my month

I wouldn't consider it a mess up. The goal with abstaining from booze is to give ourselves time to reflect on what really matters and how being sober should be normal.

If you told me I will have a beer (or 3) in six months I wouldn't be surprised. The goal, for me at least, is to have a new respect for the sober life so that an occasional slip up doesn't detract from all the successes in life.

Don't beat yourself up. You'll just get angry that way.
Old 09-08-2014, 02:17 PM
  # 371 (permalink)  

Just checking in at the end of my work day.

Deaynna - my thoughts are with you and your family.

FacingFuture - I agree, exercise (in whatever form) helps to frame my day and improve my mental outlook. I am a different person when I run.

Toddy time for me starts @4 pm. I can feel it physically coming on and don't even need a watch. Not sure if this is a good thing or not, but I feed my urges to drink with tonic water and lemon. It seems to work and I can ride things out until 8 PM, when the urges stop. Some of the old timers say that these urges will diminish with time or go away all together. I have not experienced that yet (in my previous attempts to quit).

The other trick many people use is urge or AV surfing -- listening/acknowledging the voice in my head that is telling me to drink, sometimes talking to it (yelling at it, actually), and then patiently waiting for it to go away -- which it eventually does. It is a slightly Buddhist approach to things (knowing that there is suffering and that all suffering ends) - but it does work.

Have a good evening all. Stay strong. Pan
Old 09-08-2014, 02:38 PM
  # 372 (permalink)  

The witching hour is upon me. I'm strong today.
Old 09-08-2014, 02:40 PM
  # 373 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back Zoey.

Look at what you've been doing for your recovery - maybe you can add some things? or better use the plan you have?

Originally Posted by TXATP View Post
I wouldn't consider it a mess up. The goal with abstaining from booze is to give ourselves time to reflect on what really matters and how being sober should be normal.

If you told me I will have a beer (or 3) in six months I wouldn't be surprised. The goal, for me at least, is to have a new respect for the sober life so that an occasional slip up doesn't detract from all the successes in life.

Don't beat yourself up. You'll just get angry that way.
Absolutely don't beat yourself up, but don't go too far in the opposite direction either

Be careful TXATP. See how there's the assumption in your post not only that you might relapse but hey, you'll control it and get back on track?

that's something that none of us should ever take for granted.

Not trying to be Sarge here. I speak from painful experience.

I went out for a 'night off' from recovery in 2004...I didn't get back to being sober til 2007.

D
Old 09-08-2014, 02:41 PM
  # 374 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Eric and tryingintexas

Hope your brother makes contact soon Deanyya.

Congratulations to Inflagrante and SuperMega on 28 days

D
Old 09-08-2014, 02:56 PM
  # 375 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Absolutely don't beat yourself up, but don't go too far in the opposite direction either

Be careful TXATP. See how there's the assumption in your post not only that you might relapse but hey, you'll control it and get back on track?

that's something that none of us should ever take for granted.

Not trying to be Sarge here. I speak from painful experience.

I went out for a 'night off' from recovery in 2004...I didn't get back to being sober til 2007.

D
It's hard to judge people's level of "drinking difficulty" on a forum but for me these 8 sober days have been like any other, except I'm not hung over, not apologizing etc. I should have done this years ago.

It has taught me that not drinking is OK and actually a great way to live. If I were to have a slip up down the road I wouldn't get angry or depressed, I'd just stop drinking again.

It's hard to apply one solution to a web board. That's the beauty of this forum - everyone from all walks of life can ask questions, find solutions, and grow.
Old 09-08-2014, 03:11 PM
  # 376 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you don't think it applies to you that's fine..that's your call TXATP and you may well be right

Apologies if I offended you in any way.

Maybe someone else will get something from it.

D
Old 09-08-2014, 03:14 PM
  # 377 (permalink)  

Hi. I'm new to SR and would like to join the Class of September if you will have me??
Old 09-08-2014, 03:15 PM
  # 378 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome ElGato

D
Old 09-08-2014, 03:27 PM
  # 379 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
If you don't think it applies to you that's fine..that's your call TXATP and you may well be right

Apologies if I offended you in any way.

Maybe someone else will get something from it.

D
You didn't offend me. I'm here because I have issues with drinking. I wouldn't have created a screen name if that wasn't the case. :-)
Old 09-08-2014, 03:38 PM
  # 380 (permalink)  

Welcom elgato!