Class of March 2017 Support Thread Part 4

Old 06-25-2017, 10:12 PM
  # 261 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on 100 JCNY

D
Old 06-26-2017, 12:36 AM
  # 262 (permalink)  

argillaceous we're here for you. Feel your honest feelings now and go forward with courage. xx
Old 06-26-2017, 06:15 PM
  # 263 (permalink)  

Chalk one up for the good guys:

I just went downstairs to get a late- night bowl of cereal and about the first thing I saw was an opened bottle of wine, then when I looked across at the kitchen island saw a nice bottle of opened whisky.

I went back upstairs with Cheerios, blueberries, and skim milk (and, OK, a little sugar...)

If I did not check in yesterday and see all of your comments, I would have given house odds the favor.

G'night all.

p.s.
My husband knows I'm trying to not drink; he only tends to buy when he has someone over or we have guests. I knew the guy coming over was a drinker, so since I'm pretty mopey anyways, I just decided to stay upstairs.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:56 PM
  # 264 (permalink)  

Good for you Agri. Stay strong and take care.

Hi everyone! Hope you are all well. Busy but sober! Over 100 days now! Yeah!!

Have a great day everyone 😊
Old 06-27-2017, 02:29 PM
  # 265 (permalink)  

Hey guys, I thought that all that writing I did and random crying to strangers when I was out on errands last week sort of was my way of working through saying goodbye to Argus Saturday.

Didn't drink last night and this morning, found tears welling up for what felt like no reason. Which is to say that four days later I got gut-punched with the loss. I don't want to drink my way through this so I am staying sober tonight for sure, and doing the best I can to manage the physical and emotional pain.

Just needed to check in.

Last edited by argillaceous; 06-27-2017 at 02:30 PM. Reason: fixed grammatical error
Old 06-27-2017, 04:48 PM
  # 266 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're staying sober argi - drinking on grief never gives the wounds a chance to heal - we just fly around in a slightly anesthetised holding pattern, needing more and more alcohol to stay numb, trying to forget but never actually doing so....

This way is hard -but it's quicker and more healthy
D
Old 06-27-2017, 05:03 PM
  # 267 (permalink)  

Stay strong Argi, time to put together a long sober streak
Old 06-28-2017, 04:03 AM
  # 268 (permalink)  

Morning Ninjas!

Well, after 3 1/2 months of semi-moping about, feeling generally good about being sober, but feeling exhausted and apathetic, I finally forced myself to do some exercise.

I know all the great things that people say about exercise - things that I've largely chosen to ignore because exercise involves effort, and not an insignificant amount of discomfort.... but I have to say, I wish I'd got off my a*** sooner because the improvement in my mood has been major!

I have been increasing the dog walking, I've been running and I've been cycling. I would not describe it as 'fun' exactly - it is painful. I haven't done any exercise, aside from walking, for a very, very long time. However, the sense of achievement is amazing, and I have MORE energy! I am actually looking forward to my next cycle/run, whichever comes next.
Old 06-30-2017, 12:06 PM
  # 269 (permalink)  

Excellent bimbott! I'm not a big fan of exercise either, but it's important that we keep our bodies moving. Slowly but surely we'll see results which is great motivation.

I'm off to New Hampshire in the morning. The family cabin is very close to a state run liquor store. Adjacent of course to the beer/convenience store. They're cheap and tax free. I used to stock up in the past, but now I'll just pick up a daily paper and morning cup of coffee. Plans include the drive-in movie, fireworks, parade, swimming, mountain biking, kayaking, hiking, berry picking, BBQ's and maybe a little tax free shopping....should be fun. Have a great holiday weekend Marchers!
Old 06-30-2017, 01:09 PM
  # 270 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
...drinking on grief never gives the wounds a chance to heal - we just fly around in a slightly anesthetised holding pattern, needing more and more alcohol to stay numb, trying to forget but never actually doing so....
Truer words were never spoken Dee. I got through last night fine, and feel confident now that tonight will be OK. I have just been stopping and feeling things when the memories come up.

My next hurdle is tomorrow night through next Wednesday, when (drinking) friends are staying with us. The first part of my plan is to post here (not sure how active the board will be over the holiday weekend; maybe I should post in 24 hours? never done that). The second part is to physically get up and leave if I have a craving and go meditate or do something else to break the chain.

Oh, and JCNY:
Originally Posted by JCNY
time to put together a long sober streak
More oh-so true words; all my fellow Ninjas are inspiring (SandyO: over 100, a hallmark if there ever was one!) I feel like I'm the one who keeps having to retake the course...but I am here and I am hanging on and I will keep being here and building muscle to more easily fight AV.

Best wishes for happy and alcohol-free fireworks (for my US and Canadian buds) and summer pleasures (for everyone else) this weekend Ninjas!
Old 06-30-2017, 02:20 PM
  # 271 (permalink)  

The fact that you're here and trying is huge Argi. Build those sober muscles and don't give up
Old 07-01-2017, 03:55 AM
  # 272 (permalink)  

Good morning all. Everyone sounds good. Exercise has never been huge on my priority list but the benefits in such a short a time are amazing. My work has me on my feet for 8-9 hours a day (12 yesterday!! &#128564 but it's nice to feel a good, productive tired. Not tired from a hangover or the guilt!! It's so cliche but things in my head have really woken up after the 3 month mark. Unfortunately short bursts of "a drink would be nice" still pop up occasionally but it's not acknowledged as an option so it goes away. I even thought last week maybe I should have a drink to connect with one of the employees. What a stupid idea. Yes, it may make us laugh together but soon I'll start dribbling out nonsense and saying far more than is necessary. And we always have a good laugh and have never drunk together. So AVs great idea was quickly shut down.

Sounds like a jam-packed fun weekend away JCNY. Have a great sober time.

Agri, we've all been on this merry-go-round for a while. Me seriously for 2 years and this is the longest I've been sober. It's tempting to compare ourselves with others, but we are all going through the same struggle in our own way. The best we can do is keep going day by day and look for the positives which there are many if we only focus on them. You're doing great! Keep up the strength.

Have a great day everyone 😊
Old 07-03-2017, 07:32 PM
  # 273 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, checking in after a while. I was on vacation which - as I had hoped - involved actual rest and relaxation, quality time with the fam.

Things are going well. I have averaged a meeting a week, but am stepping it up a bit this week with at least 2. Went tonight and I'll meet up with my sponsor Wednesday before a meeting. Working the steps but I'm just procrastinating at step 4. I hope to make some progress tomorrow.

Thinking of all of you and rooting for you.
Old 07-03-2017, 08:30 PM
  # 274 (permalink)  

Just checking in. I hope all the March Ninjas are doing well.
I biked 113 miles on Sat and Sunday. I'm beat. Mrs. Tiles was a little irritated because I said we'd spend Sunday together. Not cool on my part.
Old 07-03-2017, 08:33 PM
  # 275 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JCNY View Post
Excellent bimbott! I'm not a big fan of exercise either, but it's important that we keep our bodies moving. Slowly but surely we'll see results which is great motivation.

I'm off to New Hampshire in the morning. The family cabin is very close to a state run liquor store. Adjacent of course to the beer/convenience store. They're cheap and tax free. I used to stock up in the past, but now I'll just pick up a daily paper and morning cup of coffee. Plans include the drive-in movie, fireworks, parade, swimming, mountain biking, kayaking, hiking, berry picking, BBQ's and maybe a little tax free shopping....should be fun. Have a great holiday weekend Marchers!
JCNY, I can't believe how far you've come. I can't believe how far all of us have come.
Old 07-04-2017, 11:16 AM
  # 276 (permalink)  

Happy sober 4th, everyone
Old 07-04-2017, 01:21 PM
  # 277 (permalink)  

I ended up picking up when my husband's friends came. But am starting fresh on this Independence Day. I pledge to not drink these last two nights they are here.

It's also time, as JCNY put it, to start to put together a long sober streak. I'm going to go look at the books thread and order some books, and also start casting about for AA or RR meetings in my area. And, of course, stay close to here. I just think it's time to expand my toolbox.

Happy Independence Day to fellow US of A-ers and Canadian buddies.

Sounds like the Ninjas are doing well. Glad to be a part of this group.
Old 07-04-2017, 05:18 PM
  # 278 (permalink)  
Administrator

This is as good a place to start as any Argi

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...very-plan.html

D
Old 07-04-2017, 06:51 PM
  # 279 (permalink)  

Checking in, I hope everybody is doing well. We had to stay longer in New Hampshire since yesterday turned into a horrible day. I was bike riding with my 12 year old daughter, she couldn't stop going down a hill and slammed into a gate. She was a bloody mess, broken teeth, bad cuts, scrapes and bruises. I called an ambulance and rode with her to a hospital over the border in Vermont. She has a concussion and needed a bunch of stitches, but thank god she's going to recover. We're all pretty traumatized by the accident. I keep reliving it and thinking what I could have done differently. I checked her bike and the rear brake was seized, not sure if that happened upon impact or not. Anyway, she's on the mend and we have to see a dentist when we get back to NY. She's resilient and I love her so much
Old 07-04-2017, 06:55 PM
  # 280 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Outonthetiles View Post
Just checking in. I hope all the March Ninjas are doing well.
I biked 113 miles on Sat and Sunday. I'm beat. Mrs. Tiles was a little irritated because I said we'd spend Sunday together. Not cool on my part.
Hey friend! You at least acknowledged that it wasn't cool and I'm sure you made up for it. I'm glad you're kicking A$$ with biking and life!