Notices

Class of July 2016 Support Thread Part 6

Old 02-21-2017, 03:03 PM
  # 201 (permalink)  

Hi. Still goin'

I feel pretty crappy today. Feeling a little sorry for myself. My new Dr. was excellent today, but there's no quick fixes. It's my micro-biome (gut health), and it takes a long time to get better. Mainly reduce stress dramatically (meditation, whatever it takes), stay on my strict diet, excersize no matter what. Get out and get moving. They have stress reduction classes. Everything is 100% covered by insurance.

She said I'm 'like a scientist'. I'm not the average person that walks in. I had a lot of stuff figured out before i walked in which saved us a lot of time.

The doctors can tell immediately by looking at me that there's nothing serious going on because I wouldn't look so healthy, I'd be emaciated and look like crap if this was Chrohns, Ulcerative Colitus, or something like that.

So I like her and I'm going back in 2 weeks, but we are looking at an improvement in 6 months. Yes, 6 months.

Ok. All the best folks. Btw, did I mention it's bleeping cold?
Old 02-21-2017, 04:55 PM
  # 202 (permalink)  

Hi friends! Still sober!

Was excited to come post today because I was talking about Lenten sacrifices with friends. Some years I gave up my drinking privately for the 40 days and never had an issue. I always thought that I could then ease back in and be a 'normal' drinker. But we know why this failed, I wasn't a normal drinker....but I digress.

Anyway my friend and I decided to give up our usual sugary drinks and snacks, but she mentioned she couldn't give up alcohol, which I thought was odd. I guess no one knew the extent of my drinking, and I have still kept that quiet, but if 6 weeks isn't a valid option for her, it probably indicates a problem. Just reminds me how little we talk about alcohol as an addiction as a society. How the daily drinks are the social norm. How it's not an issue unless you get a DUI, or stop showing up for work, or trash your place like I did. But if everyone was honest with themselves, it probably would be an issue. Society is quick to say, you eat too much or make unhealthy choices if you are overweight like I am. Or even still, we always are able to point to someone else and say we don't eat as much as, drink as much as, smoke as much as the next guy.

I ended our conversation by saying whatever she decided to sacrifice I'd be there to support and she said likewise. We'll see how we do on sugars as I have been hitting them hard as usual.

Reminds me that I need to focus on the person I want to be. Did I want to come home and drink every night until bed? No, so I'm working on not being that person. Do I want to have all the snacks I want and be overweight? No, so maybe I need to work on that next. But it is all about balance. And things are becoming more even 200+ days later. Sleep cycle, and work efficiency, and lifting depression. But I suppose that's sort of our mission here on earth. Who do we want to be, and how do we get there?

Keep on keeping on all, it will get better for all of us, regardless of what new battles we face.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:35 PM
  # 203 (permalink)  

Hi. You do not want to remember the first week, first 10 days or the first 30 days, I'm here to remind you. One day feeling ok, the next totally exhausted, irritable, headaches, flu like symptoms, shakey fingers. It's lovely, let me tell you!!

Well now I've got some new Doctors and a reason to get out of this and spring has almost sprung. It's all melting. But still bleepin' cold. I tork up that electric blanket at night and sweat under there. It feels great. I should hit the sauna at the gym.

I'm back on a stride although I don't feel too great. It's good news though. The pain before feeling good. I've been complaining about not been by able to take off on an extended trip and my health issues, and I went and sabotaged that further. Brilliant idea.

Ok thanks for listening folks.

Viper
Old 02-22-2017, 06:27 PM
  # 204 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Viperidae View Post
Hi. Still goin'

The doctors can tell immediately by looking at me that there's nothing serious going on because I wouldn't look so healthy, I'd be emaciated and look like crap if this was Chrohns, Ulcerative Colitus, or something like that.

Ok. All the best folks. Btw, did I mention it's bleeping cold?
The Dr took one look at my husband and finally understood our concern, he's so skinny it's awful, poor guy. They diagnosed him with Gastroparesis, we have to figure it all out with nutritionist help I hope.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:06 PM
  # 205 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mklove View Post
The Dr took one look at my husband and finally understood our concern, he's so skinny it's awful, poor guy. They diagnosed him with Gastroparesis, we have to figure it all out with nutritionist help I hope.
Sorry MkLove

I just researched the for diet that. That's restrictive. I wish you two the best. You might not want to leave out alternative medicine, I mean a Naturapath at least and or Dr of Integrative Medicine. That could help.
Old 02-23-2017, 04:10 PM
  # 206 (permalink)  

Old 02-23-2017, 04:23 PM
  # 207 (permalink)  
Administrator

what's up Viper?

D
Old 02-24-2017, 12:23 PM
  # 208 (permalink)  

Hi

It's been 7 months now, and being sober feels completely normal. Just like it did until I first found booze. I don't miss drinking, but it does bug me that I can't drink. I think we all feel a bit down from time to time, and alcohol provides instant relief from the gloom . But it has a heavy price, and I'm not willing to pay that any more. A good night's sleep is the best medicine.

Hope you're all well.

Old 02-24-2017, 02:27 PM
  # 209 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on 7 months 5upersonic

I'm not sure when it changed but not drinking went from something that bugged me to something I want to keep, protect and maintain.

I don't feel deprived now - I honestly feel blessed.

I prefer not having alcohol in my life.
I think the more you build a sober life you love, the more you realise how much you want that to continue...and it can only continue with the absence of drinking.

Seems like a pretty sweet deal to me nowadays
Old 02-24-2017, 04:04 PM
  # 210 (permalink)  

Wow 5uper!!!! Darn!!! Good job.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:55 PM
  # 211 (permalink)  

Good job all.
Keep coming back !!!
(())
Old 02-25-2017, 05:33 AM
  # 212 (permalink)  

Feeling happier today..

Away on a short family break to a place we last visited a few years ago. I drank noon till night every day last time, and I had my first panic attack driving home. Thereafter followed increasing incidents of panic attacks whilst driving until I quit. They've now completely subsided. My AV is very quiet these days, but it took a shot last night. It really helped to login and share a few words with people who understand.

Old 02-26-2017, 03:30 PM
  # 213 (permalink)  

Barely doing 'ok' but still hanging around. Screw ups. I feel fine today. That's good I guess. Watching Lord of the Rings movies with my nephew at my sisters awesome house. They're all out.

I did my laundry (huge machines here), showered, shaved. Buzzed my head clean. Something I never did while drinking all the time. At least I get in the shower a few times a week now.

I've got to get on the program with my new doctor and stick to it. Serious diet, exercise, meditation (any stress reduction techniques as my issues are stress related). Good common sense stuff. It's all 'gut rebuilding' stuff. That's the issue going on with me. 2 diagnoses the same now.

Ok. Later on.
Old 02-28-2017, 06:33 PM
  # 214 (permalink)  

Hiking today with the dog. Crows were angry about something out there. I'm supposed to 'get moving' 20 minutes a day, and the hike was an hour. Maybe a mile or 2 considering it was rugged. It worked to tire me out.

Putting in spikes so I don't fall back. I'll be gong to bed early. I wish I could stay up until midnight to watch Bill Maher and Micheal Moore commentary tonight, but I'll be asleep.

We might get some cold and a little snow, but that's it, winter is finished. I hope.

I'm keeping a diet and exercise journal, and keeping track of how I feel, etc.

Viper out.
Old 03-01-2017, 06:37 PM
  # 215 (permalink)  

More hiking with the dog today. Yesterday there were 18 wild turkeys out there that just passed by us, slowly grazing. Big Boy (the dog) is a 15 year old big black lab, he doesn't care about turkeys anymore. But that doesn't keep him from getting out there and having fun.

I like this outlet for me. I get quiet wilderness, time with an awesome dog, and some exercise to destress. I'm done at 4:00 and I got out my excess energy. Done for the day! That's it. I'm in the moment. A grazing flock of geese in a dry/muddy pound bed out there. It's surrounded by hills so one of them kept squawking a warning call about me and Big Boy, and it was echoing from all sides. Again, Biggie didn't care much about the geese. He started toward them but I told him to back off. Neither turkeys nor geese were disturbed. I'm waiting for coyotes or a bear. Big Boy hates bears, becomes infuriated. Instinct.

Ok. Well, my poor friend is going to be put away in a home or some dreadful thing. I can't handle this by myself and I've chosen not to give my life to care for her.

Keep moving forward.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:08 PM
  # 216 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry to hear about your friend but it may not be that dreadful, Viper?
Not every home is a horror show.
There's a lot to be said for getting care and support.
Old 03-02-2017, 03:39 PM
  # 217 (permalink)  

I went to AA today. I found a meeting coming up in an hour and headed out there, and there was no meeting. I went back on my phone and looked and there was a meeting back in my town in an hour so I headed for that. It turned out to be a good twist of fate because it was a very good experience. I took a lot away from it. I shared and cried about my friend. Words of wisdom in there. They have one in the same spot tomorrow...

Then I got my dinner and headed out to get Big Boy and headed into the woods. This 3rd day of hiking was 3 times more intensive then day one. Wow. I just went off-trail and roughed it through the woods and fields. I was sweating. Very good.

It looks like things are coming together for me. I'm far less stressed. Far less. Getting rid of the stress is what's going to get me well, as far as my physical and mental conditions go.

Diet
De-stress (meditation etc)
Excercise

Ok thank
Old 03-03-2017, 05:52 PM
  # 218 (permalink)  

Life is changing every day. I'm just a holdin in with a thankful heart ...

Viper, changing as well. Good for you friend. You can do this I believe.
Old 03-04-2017, 10:03 AM
  # 219 (permalink)  

3 meetings, 3 days. All resistance to AA is gone. It's just easier to do the day after I go. I have no idea what 'clicked' for me. Some of it I could do without, but I'll minimize those things, and maximize the good. I lucked out with 3 very good meetings.

After my toughest hike I got pretty tired. Yesterday I was hurting. Today is SIX DEGREES. SIX. It's horrible. It was 65 a week ago. I hate the cold. Freezing. It feels like a vampire just drank all my blood. I've got to get to a warmer place. Plus I picked up a nice tick in my lower back that day. I should be fine. I'm about 30 miles from the town Lyme, which the disease is named for. It's an epidemic up here. It was of course a classic Deer Tick, the worst offender. I swear, a person is more likely to get Lyme after a day in the CT woods, than anything while hiking 3 weeks in Kenya.

Speaking of which, a private pay doctor did the first Western Blot Test on my sick friend for Lyme disease in these 7 months and was positive. It could explain everything. I'm a bit leery about the whole thing. Western Blot is the best test, but it is interpreted, not just positive or negative. So we'll see about that. The doctor put her on a strong antibiotic.

There's a lot in the Meetings about 'weeding your garden,' 'sweeping your own side of the street,' 'you can't pour from an empty vessel,' etc., that basically mean: take care of yourself first and foremost. If your garden is dying or your vessel is empty, that helps no one. So I'm gaining confidence on that front in regards to helping my friend or not.

Ok
Old 03-30-2017, 02:18 PM
  # 220 (permalink)  

Hi

8 months sober but my AV has been very active of late, and it's found me a willing listener at times. I need to put it back in it's cage quickly, and posting here again is making me feel better already. I think I'll be sticking around for a bit.

Hope you're all good,